Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

12 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I think there is a whole lot more to this.  Ewan has no reason to spout the company line here, so let's say he's correct and that he's happy with how his character is written and from his assertion that he's read 80-90% of what is written, that 70% of the script is done right now.  Why does that move a project six months?  Six months is a long time.  Not just the cast, including McGregor, but the entire crew is now out of work for that time.  The crew now has to find work in the meantime, and then have to back out or push other commitments for other projects they agreed to do after their contract for Kenobi.  And of course, there are the cast schedules to deal with, and there could be minor or major recasting that has to happen, or schedules for main actors could push the project further back.  

So this isn't just some rewrites that can happen during production, or do some shooting after the filming is done.  Something major is going on, and they've put a gag order on it.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think there is a whole lot more to this.  Ewan has no reason to spout the company line here, so let's say he's correct and that he's happy with how his character is written and from his assertion that he's read 80-90% of what is written, that 70% of the script is done right now.  Why does that move a project six months?  Six months is a long time.  Not just the cast, including McGregor, but the entire crew is now out of work for that time.  The crew now has to find work in the meantime, and then have to back out or push other commitments for other projects they agreed to do after their contract for Kenobi.  And of course, there are the cast schedules to deal with, and there could be minor or major recasting that has to happen, or schedules for main actors could push the project further back.  

So this isn't just some rewrites that can happen during production, or do some shooting after the filming is done.  Something major is going on, and they've put a gag order on it.  

That is a whole lot of conjecture built on conjecture 

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

:/

ET

Gremlins

Every Indy flick

Every Back to the Future

We're Back! one of my favorite childhood movies ever

The Goonies

The Color Purple

The original Land Before Time (not the crap money grabs)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Cape Fear

Hook

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

The Sixth Sense

Lincoln

She oversaw Mandolorian, WHICH WAS GREAT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

ET

Gremlins

Every Indy flick

Every Back to the Future

We're Back! one of my favorite childhood movies ever

The Goonies

The Color Purple

The original Land Before Time (not the crap money grabs)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Cape Fear

Hook

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

The Sixth Sense

Lincoln

She oversaw Mandolorian, WHICH WAS GREAT

Lol.  Steven Spielberg was either director or also producer on every one of those.  You’re telling me she can have success with the most iconic director alive?  Who would have thought that.

Kennedy is out of touch with what people want out of Star Wars and it’s exceedingly obvious with every single director or writer she fires and poorly conceived Star Wars film she produces.  She is the problem.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Or it's easier to push back 6 months instead of 1 or 2 because of all said peoples short term commitments that were lined up after the series.  I'll be surprised if principal photography on this is more than 6 weeks or so.

Edited by THE DUKE

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Steven Spielberg was either director or also producer on every one of those.  You’re telling me she can have success with the most iconic director alive?  Who would have thought that.

Kennedy is out of touch with what people want out of Star Wars and it’s exceedingly obvious with every single director or writer she fires and poorly conceived Star Wars film she produces.  She is the problem.

Exactly, she's worked with visionaries her entire career. Of course she's going to have an impressive resume, she was brought along by Lucas, Speilberg and Scorsesse. 

If she was every bit as capable some think she was, this trilogy among others would not have turned out like it did. Especially when you think about Kennedy having near unlimited resources at her disposal and no property right disputes like Feige had to deal with at Marvel. She has a complete monopoly over SW with the money to back it and yet most now agree that the trilogy was a disappointment, Solo was a let down, projects are constantly being canceled or pushed back.  

How does such a "successful" producer with so many "hits" under her belt have the biggest franchise ever in such disarray to the point where Iger announced that she will have a co-producer in Feige helping out?

Something doesn't add up with all these set backs and mistakes. Feige himself has made more then a few, then immediately after he seems to rebound with another blockbuster that everyone enjoys.  

LoL at ppl who have never written a script or even shot a short film on their own much less produced anything of significance thinking they know more than someone who co-founded Amblin Entertainment and has been the President of LucasFilm for 7+ yrs.  It’s okay to not like someone’s body of work but what have you contributed?  Nothing.  Posers. 

5 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

LoL at ppl who have never written a script or even shot a short film on their own much less produced anything of significance thinking they know more than someone who co-founded Amblin Entertainment and has been the President of LucasFilm for 7+ yrs.  It’s okay to not like someone’s body of work but what have you contributed?  Nothing.  Posers. 

Trying to wrap my head around this one. But you're saying that if someone doesn't have a background in the field their criticizing then somehow they have no frame of reference to judge a person on their work?

Have I not read you blasting multiple decisions made by the Packers in the past despite not having a background in the NFL or a coaching background in general?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Trying to wrap my head around this one. But you're saying that if someone doesn't have a background in the field their criticizing then somehow they have no frame of reference to judge a person on their work?

Have I not read you blasting multiple decisions made by the Packers in the past despite not having a background in the NFL or a coaching background in general?

I’m not sure that’s an equivalent analogy.  Complaining about things we dislike as sports fans is normal but I’ve never purported to know what goes on behind the scenes in a front office. We complain about coaching hires, player signings, performances in games but how many of us have been in those rooms where decisions have been made.  

How many ppl in here have ever been on set of an actual movie or TV set?  I have and while that doesn’t make me an expert by any means, I have gotten to see inside the looking glass and witnessed firsthand just how complicated the industry is.  Do you really think Spielberg would have her co-found Amblin if she was as incompetent as ppl here claim?  Or being as successful as she is?   Complaining about the films themselves or whatever is par for the course but ppl front like they know what they’re talking about when it comes to industry. 

Edited by thrILL!

15 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Well I actually went to film school with an emphasis on scriptwriting and I’ve written at least a dozen spec scripts, won a short film contest (for the script), and was implored to submit another one that I personally hated but is still to my knowledge (at least 2017) used as an example at the University I attended.  

Does that mean my opinion is better than yours confirmed?

Let’s not act like Kennedy is some incredible talent.  She was the assistant to Milius, one of the most underrated influencers ever and basically helped pave the way for the film school generation of Coppola, Scorsese, Spielberg, etc.  Then she became the assistant of Spielberg.  She has been carried by titans of the industry for 40 plus years.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I’m not sure that’s an equivalent analogy.  Complaining about things we dislike as sports fans is normal but I’ve never purported to know what goes on behind the serves in a front office. We complain about coaching hires, player signings, performances in games but how many of us have been in those rooms where decisions have been made.  How many ppl in here have ever been on set of an actual movie or TV set?  I have and while that doesn’t make me an expert by any means, I have gotten to see inside the looking glass and witnessed firsthand just how complicated the industry is.  

Was the movie or TV set a movie or TV that decided to randomly bring back some dead character who was never remotely hinted at for two full movies in a trilogy and then revealed that the protagonist is his granddaughter?  Because if so, was it Days of Our Lives or a different soap opera?

• Like 2

Just now, thrILL! said:

I’m not sure that’s an equivalent analogy.  Complaining about things we dislike as sports fans is normal but I’ve never purported to know what goes on behind the serves in a front office. We complain about coaching hires, player signings, performances in games but how many of us have been in those rooms where decisions have been made.  How many ppl in here have ever been on set of an actual movie or TV set?  I have and while that doesn’t make me an expert by any means, I have gotten to see inside the looking glass and witnessed firsthand just how complicated the industry is.  

So have I. Spent a little time on film sets with my brother and his friend.

But that's not what im doing. I'm pointing out a reoccuring pattern with Kennedy who has been the sole voice of authority in LucasFilm again as you say for many years now with movies who have continually failed to meet expectations even by people who liked the movies. Some expectations are impossible to meet, you will never be able to meet all of them. But under her we have seen numerous instances where it seems like there is 2nd guess work going on with people being fired, projects mysteriously just up and disappearing after Disney makes announcements of them. Not to mention the failed box office expectations of these said movies.

I am pointing out in comparison with someone like Kevin Feige who has had far more obstacles to overcome to make the MCU what it is today. There should be zero reasons why a person with as much experience that Kennedy has to have a studio put out so many questionable reports. In terms of what's coming out, and what the clear picture is, they are almost every bit in disarray as Warners is with the DC studio.  That should not be the case given the resources, power she has at her disposable and the lack of hoops she has to jump through in regard to property rights. 

So I am saying that all that "credit" that has been given to her, something is not adding up for there to be this many problems with the crown jewel of the fantasy world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Well I actually went to film school with an emphasis on scriptwriting and I’ve written at least a dozen spec scripts, won a short film contest (for the script), and was implored to submit another one that I personally hated but is still to my knowledge (at least 2017) used as an example at the University I attended.  

Does that mean my opinion is better than yours confirmed?

Let’s not act like Kennedy is some incredible talent.  She was the assistant to Milius, one of the most underrated influencers ever and basically helped pave the way for the film school generation of Coppola, Scorsese, Spielberg, etc.  Then she became the assistant of Spielberg.  She has been carried by titans of the industry for 40 plus years.  

You know how many ppl I know that went to UCLA for screenwriting or USC film school that can’t get a break in the business?  What school did you go to?   That’s really cool that you’ve dedicated yourself to that pursuit but you should know by now that doesn’t mean much if you have no connects.   Making films yourself is the best bet but I’d say it’s safe to say you’re one of very few on here that have put up.  

I never claimed to be an expert. I’m just calling a spade a spade.  I didn’t go to school for film study and I still got a spec script into Eva Longoria’s hands. Not her handlers, but Eva herself.  And even that didn’t go anywhere.  It’s prolly in a drawer with dozens of other scripts. It is what it is.  

You don’t know the first thing about Kennedy or what she’s contributed. If you said these things to Spielberg or others face to face you’d get clowned for your ignorance.   It’s okay to not like her work but you have ZERO idea what goes on behind LucasFilm’s doors.