Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

That's a big cast, which surprises me. Figured we would get a lot more solo stuff. 

While I think a "Cast Away" show for Obi-Wan would be interested, I think the larger SW fandom would not.  It still could be, but I bet we get quite a few flashback scenes.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

While I think a "Cast Away" show for Obi-Wan would be interested, I think the larger SW fandom would not.  It still could be, but I bet we get quite a few flashback scenes.

With both Owen and Beru back, I imagine we will get a lot of young luke stuff too 

Obi-Wan Kenobi is being directed by Deborah Chow, who helmed two episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1. Joby Harold is head writer and will serve as an EP alongside McGregor, Chow, Kathleen Kennedy and Michelle Rejwan.

https://tvline.com/2021/03/29/obi-wan-kenobi-series-cast-rupert-friend-kumail-nanjiani/

It makes me nervous not seeing Favreau or Filoni on that list. 

58 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

I just started the OG Thrawn Trilogy from back in the day.

It is so so good. I'm gonna end up deeeeep in Star Wars lore after awakening this thing inside of me. 

So, what are the other best of the EU/Legends books/media/whatever?

I think @naptownskinsfan can really help with this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carl_sjunior said:

I just started the OG Thrawn Trilogy from back in the day.

It is so so good. I'm gonna end up deeeeep in Star Wars lore after awakening this thing inside of me. 

So, what are the other best of the EU/Legends books/media/whatever?

Hope you've got time.........for the purposes of this, I am not giving you anything beyond start of the Yuuzhan Vong, because that is where the EU jumped the shark for me, and this will keep you pretty occupied.  If you finish this and want to go further, I'll be happy to give you guidance at that time.

For the Thrawn arc, you will also want to read Outbound Flight, as well as Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future.  

I would then proceed with the X-Wing series (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, The Bacta War) followed by the Wraith Squadron trilogy (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo command.). Pop in The Courtship of Princess Leia, which ends the Zsinj story, and then proceed with Isard's Revenge.  Starfighters of Adumar finishes that arc.  There is one final X-Wing book, Mercy Kill, but it is set far into the future timeline.  

You will also want to read I, Jedi as well, which is a first-person novel from the viewpoint of Corran Horn, and hands-down my favorite.  It also intersects with the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force), and this storyline is brought to a close with the Darksaber novel.  

Before the prequel trilogy, I recommend all of The Old Republic novels (Revan, Deceived, Fatal Alliance, Annihilation) and then Red Harvest, which is Star Wars version of zombies (Death Troopers is also worth a read, and is a follow-up to Red Harvest set before A New Hope.)  The Darth Bane trilogy (Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil) is excellent, and it sets up how the Sith became what we know them to be.  Darth Plageuis is, of course, a must-read.  

From the prequel era, I recommend Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and Shatterpoint (Mace Windu) and the Republic Commando (Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors, Order 66 and Imperial Commando: 501st.)

From the era in between the prequels and original trilogy, there isn't much I like, but Kenobi is a great read, as is Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader and Death Star.  If you liked Mara Jade, the Allegiance and Choices of One novels are also good to read in the original trilogy timeframe.  

I am leaving out about 45% of the novels, but these are my favorites, and if you are going to proceed to the Yuuzhan Vong, these are the ones you need to know to get ready for that story and beyond.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hope you've got time.........for the purposes of this, I am not giving you anything beyond start of the Yuuzhan Vong, because that is where the EU jumped the shark for me, and this will keep you pretty occupied.  If you finish this and want to go further, I'll be happy to give you guidance at that time.

For the Thrawn arc, you will also want to read Outbound Flight, as well as Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future.  

I would then proceed with the X-Wing series (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, The Bacta War) followed by the Wraith Squadron trilogy (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo command.). Pop in The Courtship of Princess Leia, which ends the Zsinj story, and then proceed with Isard's Revenge.  Starfighters of Adumar finishes that arc.  There is one final X-Wing book, Mercy Kill, but it is set far into the future timeline.  

You will also want to read I, Jedi as well, which is a first-person novel from the viewpoint of Corran Horn, and hands-down my favorite.  It also intersects with the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force), and this storyline is brought to a close with the Darksaber novel.  

Before the prequel trilogy, I recommend all of The Old Republic novels (Revan, Deceived, Fatal Alliance, Annihilation) and then Red Harvest, which is Star Wars version of zombies (Death Troopers is also worth a read, and is a follow-up to Red Harvest set before A New Hope.)  The Darth Bane trilogy (Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil) is excellent, and it sets up how the Sith became what we know them to be.  Darth Plageuis is, of course, a must-read.  

From the prequel era, I recommend Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and Shatterpoint (Mace Windu) and the Republic Commando (Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors, Order 66 and Imperial Commando: 501st.)

From the era in between the prequels and original trilogy, there isn't much I like, but Kenobi is a great read, as is Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader and Death Star.  If you liked Mara Jade, the Allegiance and Choices of One novels are also good to read in the original trilogy timeframe.  

I am leaving out about 45% of the novels, but these are my favorites, and if you are going to proceed to the Yuuzhan Vong, these are the ones you need to know to get ready for that story and beyond.  

I'll have to keep this to reference. Can I jump around with the arcs and different books with some of these suggestions? I just like to get a good variety of stuff.  Some of the Vader/Kenobi/Mara Jade stuff sounded fascinated on a search I did. As well as the Jedi Academy stuff. Just wanted to make sure I could kinda hop around as my mood fits and not be too lost. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions! For real. 

14 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

I'll have to keep this to reference. Can I jump around with the arcs and different books with some of these suggestions? I just like to get a good variety of stuff.  Some of the Vader/Kenobi/Mara Jade stuff sounded fascinated on a search I did. As well as the Jedi Academy stuff. Just wanted to make sure I could kinda hop around as my mood fits and not be too lost. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions! For real. 

Everything is pretty self contained in the blocks that I gave you.  The only thing you might want to do is save Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future for last.  

The only other thing I would do is read I, Jedi after having read the X-Wing books, as well as the Jedi Academy trilogy.  

On 3/31/2021 at 12:05 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s a great series of books.  Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston were my favorite EU writers, along with Timothy Zahn.  

I feel like I read all of the EU stuff that had been released, post ROTJ for sure, up to the Darth Caedus arc before stopping, but somehow never read a single  x wing novel. Not sure how or why I did that.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:58 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Outbound Flight

This book is solid but not as good as the trilogy that precedes it.

The Darth Bane trilogy

@carl_sjunior if you're looking for something fun I'd read these next.

Jedi Academy Trilogy

@carl_sjunior if you want something with a lot of the original cast in it I'd read these.