Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

On 3/29/2021 at 7:58 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Hope you've got time.........for the purposes of this, I am not giving you anything beyond start of the Yuuzhan Vong, because that is where the EU jumped the shark for me, and this will keep you pretty occupied.  If you finish this and want to go further, I'll be happy to give you guidance at that time.

For the Thrawn arc, you will also want to read Outbound Flight, as well as Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future.  

I would then proceed with the X-Wing series (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, The Bacta War) followed by the Wraith Squadron trilogy (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo command.). Pop in The Courtship of Princess Leia, which ends the Zsinj story, and then proceed with Isard's Revenge.  Starfighters of Adumar finishes that arc.  There is one final X-Wing book, Mercy Kill, but it is set far into the future timeline.  

You will also want to read I, Jedi as well, which is a first-person novel from the viewpoint of Corran Horn, and hands-down my favorite.  It also intersects with the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force), and this storyline is brought to a close with the Darksaber novel.  

Before the prequel trilogy, I recommend all of The Old Republic novels (Revan, Deceived, Fatal Alliance, Annihilation) and then Red Harvest, which is Star Wars version of zombies (Death Troopers is also worth a read, and is a follow-up to Red Harvest set before A New Hope.)  The Darth Bane trilogy (Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil) is excellent, and it sets up how the Sith became what we know them to be.  Darth Plageuis is, of course, a must-read.  

From the prequel era, I recommend Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and Shatterpoint (Mace Windu) and the Republic Commando (Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors, Order 66 and Imperial Commando: 501st.)

From the era in between the prequels and original trilogy, there isn't much I like, but Kenobi is a great read, as is Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader and Death Star.  If you liked Mara Jade, the Allegiance and Choices of One novels are also good to read in the original trilogy timeframe.  

I am leaving out about 45% of the novels, but these are my favorites, and if you are going to proceed to the Yuuzhan Vong, these are the ones you need to know to get ready for that story and beyond.  

Came across this are these recommend books to read about the SW universe? Tried looking up  Yuuzhan Vong and is that an author of books or a series about a character or species within the SW universe?

6 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Came across this are these recommend books to read about the SW universe? Tried looking up  Yuuzhan Vong and is that an author of books or a series about a character or species within the SW universe?

Yeah, those are my book recommendations from the old Expanded Universe only, nothing in the new Disney canon.  

The Yuuzhan Vong are an alien species, and they began a large story arc in 1999 called The New Jedi Order.  Up until this point in the EU, novels were in a trilogy, or were a standalone story.  The New Jedi Order was the first attempt at doing a long arc, which finished at 19 novels total.  They continued this for the Darth Caedus and Abeloth/Lost Sith arcs that followed, the latter came out as Disney was buying Lucasfilm.  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:25 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

I was told to get. "Star Wars: The Essential Novels". Collection of like 10 officially licensed books by Luceno James.

Havent started them yet. But was recommended I start there. And should I go farther, let everything else fill in or add on to the end.

I gots a "link" if you need it. *wink*

Problem is, that list covers a lot of intro books, such as Rogue Squadron, which covers four books (and then has another five after) and Vector Prime covers The New Jedi Order arc, which is 19 novels.  

I posted my list earlier, but I'll repost again 

I would stay far away from Vector Prime and the novels after that from your list until you finish up this list at the very least.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, those are my book recommendations from the old Expanded Universe only, nothing in the new Disney canon.  

The Yuuzhan Vong are an alien species, and they began a large story arc in 1999 called The New Jedi Order.  Up until this point in the EU, novels were in a trilogy, or were a standalone story.  The New Jedi Order was the first attempt at doing a long arc, which finished at 19 novels total.  They continued this for the Darth Caedus and Abeloth/Lost Sith arcs that followed, the latter came out as Disney was buying Lucasfilm.  

Sweet thanks for the help and posts and more clarification, So in your opinion you would start out in the 19 book series called the new jedi order and continue from there? 19 books is a good start and would def take some time.

I will have to try and save that post somewhere for future reference.

Edited by mattyice0401

8 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Sweet thanks for the help and posts and more clarification, So in your opinion you would start out in the 19 book series called the new jedi order and continue from there? 19 books is a good start and would def take some time.

I will have to try and save that post somewhere for future reference.

No, start with my list. TNJO is 25 years after ROTJ and kinda jumps the shark in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

No, start with my list. TNJO is 25 years after ROTJ and kinda jumps the shark in my opinion. 

I looked up the Yuuzhan Vong series and it brought me to the TNJO book series (and it seems like thats the first series you suggest), Im sorry for my confusion and lack of understanding. You seem to know what your talking about and the SW universe is a little daunting to me of not knowing where to start.

Is that the correct order youd start with?

38 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

If you're not watching the Bad Batch, then you ain't liven your best life, bro.

It's been pretty good so far, but a 10-12 episode season may have been a better idea than 16.  The plot needs to get moving a little more.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

It's been pretty good so far, but a 10-12 episode season may have been a better idea than 16.  The plot needs to get moving a little more.

I think we have to remember that the target demo for this show is kids. In that context, the plot is moving at a standard pace. 

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think we have to remember that the target demo for this show is kids. In that context, the plot is moving at a standard pace. 

While true, this is following Clone Wars and Rebels, both of which went to some pretty dark places

Spoiler

Like in the season 3 premier of Rebels where Ezra controls the imperial guy in the AT-AT, makes him kill his own stormtroopers and then walk off the edge of a cliff killing himself.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

While true, this is following Clone Wars and Rebels, both of which went to some pretty dark places

Reveal hidden contents

Like in the season 3 premier of Rebels where Ezra controls the imperial guy in the AT-AT, makes him kill his own stormtroopers and then walk off the edge of a cliff killing himself.

very very true, but these are the same shows that had filler episodes with Jar Jar Binks and a friendly backstabbing pirate with no crew. Rebels definitely aged up with the audience, and Bad Batch does too, but still at the core this is targeted towards kids and families. 

• Like 1