22. O' Brian

Bad:
23. Marrone
24. Fangio
25. Gase
26. Quinn (should have been fired)
27. Taylor
28. Patricia

Guys are subject to moving around a lot, particularly young coaches who make a stronger impression in year 2/year 3.

Where would you rank Frank Reich? 

Tier 1

• Bill Belichick

Tier 2

• Andy Reid
  • John Harbaugh
  • Pete Carroll
  • Sean Payton

Tier 3

• Kyle Shanahan
  • Sean McVay
  • Doug Pederson
  • Mike Tomlin
  • Sean McDermott
  • Frank Reich
  • Mike Zimmer

I'm leaving some guys out because either I'm not sure what to think of them yet or I just think they are bad. Also before people try to argue that Shanahan should be higher the 49ers have exactly 1 year of being good under him. I'm not putting any coach above tier 3 that doesn't have several seasons of consistent winning teams.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Where would you rank Frank Reich? 

I guess I forgot about him. He's solid. We only have 1 year of him with high-quality QB play, but when Luck was playing Reich seemed to be really good. I personally wanted Brissett to succeed in Indy, but I'm not sure where Indy goes with him. Because of Luck's retirement being so sudden, I'm giving Reich a pass on the 2nd season.

I kind of want to put him right around Zimmer, but our sample size on Reich with good QB play is so small right now, but I'd expect him to get back to that once the QB position is figured out in Indianapolis.

11 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Tier 1

• Bill Belichick

Tier 2

• Andy Reid
  • John Harbaugh
  • Pete Carroll
  • Sean Payton

Tier 3

• Kyle Shanahan
  • Sean McVay
  • Doug Pederson
  • Mike Tomlin
  • Sean McDermott
  • Frank Reich
  • Mike Zimmer

I'm leaving some guys out because either I'm not sure what to think of them yet or I just think they are bad. Also before people try to argue that Shanahan should be higher the 49ers have exactly 1 year of being good under him. I'm not putting any coach above tier 3 that doesn't have several seasons of consistent winning teams.

John Gruden? He’s won in the past & did a pretty good job with the Raiders this year after the AB fiasco, Carr as QB & Jacobs getting hurt

• Like 1

Tier 1: Vrabel, Reid, Belichick, McDermott, Pederson, Reich, Tomlin, Gruden, Shanahan, Payton, Zimmer, McVay, Carroll, Harbaugh

Tier 2: Arians, Flores, Rivera, Kingsbury, Lynn, Marrone, LeFleur

Tier 3: Gase, McCarthy, Fangio, Nagy, Patricia, O'Brien, Quinn

Tier 4: Taylor, Rhule, Judge, Stefanski

On 1/1/2020 at 11:06 PM, Hukos said:

Elite:
1. Belichick
2. Harbaugh
3. Reid
4. Payton

Great, but not elite:
5. Tomlin
6. Carrol
7. Peterson
8. Shanahan
9. McVay
10. Arians
11. McDermott
12. Zimmer
13. Vrabel
14. Lafleur

Average - mediocre:
15. Flores
16. Lynn
17. Garrett
18. Nagy
19. Gruden
20. Kingsbury
21. Rivera
22. O' Brian

Bad:
23. Marrone
24. Fangio
25. Gase
26. Quinn (should have been fired)
27. Taylor
28. Patricia

Guys are subject to moving around a lot, particularly young coaches who make a stronger impression in year 2/year 3.

I can't imagine the justification for Harbaugh being elite while Carroll and Tomlin aren't.

Tomlin underperforms vs. vastly inferior competition a lot. He's still a pretty good coach but I can't overlook that.  You can make an argument in Harbaugh's favor that he needed a QB and Joe was past his prime - to make up for the 2015-2017 Ravens era. If it's 3-4 years from now and the Ravens still haven't done much with Lamar, then you can re-evaluate Harbaugh. Carroll is a good coach still but the Seahawks are just never as good as I expect them to be under him - and with an elite QB at the helm, that's a tough pill to swallow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 7:44 PM, Hukos said:

Tomlin underperforms vs. vastly inferior competition a lot. He's still a pretty good coach but I can't overlook that.  You can make an argument in Harbaugh's favor that he needed a QB and Joe was past his prime - to make up for the 2015-2017 Ravens era. If it's 3-4 years from now and the Ravens still haven't done much with Lamar, then you can re-evaluate Harbaugh. Carroll is a good coach still but the Seahawks are just never as good as I expect them to be under him - and with an elite QB at the helm, that's a tough pill to swallow.

From 2010-2019, the Steelers had the fifth-best record in the NFL against teams that finished .500 or worse. Only the Patriots, Packers, Saints and Ravens were better.

Let's also not forget that the Steelers have played seven playoff games since 2014, and Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell were all on the field together for only three of them -- one of which was right after the Steelers lost Ryan Shazier to a career-ending injury, which created a gaping hole in the middle of the defense just in time for the playoffs.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:04 AM, DoleINGout said:

Tier 1: Vrabel, Reid, Belichick, McDermott, Pederson, Reich, Tomlin, Gruden, Shanahan, Payton, Zimmer, McVay, Carroll, Harbaugh

Tier 2: Arians, Flores, Rivera, Kingsbury, Lynn, Marrone, LeFleur

Tier 3: Gase, McCarthy, Fangio, Nagy, Patricia, O'Brien, Quinn

Tier 4: Taylor, Rhule, Judge, Stefanski

You have too many HCs in your tier 1 list. Vrabel is good dark horse selection but imo i need to see another year. Pederson, McDermott and Reich are in tier 2 imo

1. Belichik
2. Reid
3. Payton
4. Caroll

5. Harbaugh
6. Pederson
7. Tomlin
8. McVay

9. Shanahan
10. Zimmer
11. Reich

Gets more hazy for me after that. 

McDermott, McCarthy, Rivera are all some names I consider after this, but you also have a myriad of guys who just haven't been around enough to prove it like Vrabel, LaFleur, Kingsbury