Josh McDaniels, what happened?

hornbybrown

Browns are interested in him. It’s got me wondering what happened that he bailed on you guys. What rumours have you heard?

I have heard.

1, He found our Luck wasn’t looking like coming back.

2, he expected to be able to bring in his own front office guys, but then found out that wasn’t going to happen.

3, BB and Kraft talked him out of it with the promise of teaching him some secret formula about how they do what they do.

Have you guys heard these and/or heard different stories?

Ballard hasn’t spoken about #1 in regards to McDaniels but he has said that his taking the job in Indy was not contingent on Luck being healthy because one man doesn’t make a team. He also said that one of the reasons he knew Reich was the man for the job was because he never once asked if Luck would be healthy/able to play 

if #2 was an issue I don’t think he would’ve accepted the job in the first place because Ballard is a former scout and not a contract guy or a player personnel guy so he was always going to be bringing in his guys 

#3 is the one that I heard of the most, and makes the most sense. There was also the rumor that Belichick was promising to retire soon so McDaniels would take over from him then. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Ballard hasn’t spoken about #1 in regards to McDaniels but he has said that his taking the job in Indy was not contingent on Luck being healthy because one man doesn’t make a team. He also said that one of the reasons he knew Reich was the man for the job was because he never once asked if Luck would be healthy/able to play 

if #2 was an issue I don’t think he would’ve accepted the job in the first place because Ballard is a former scout and not a contract guy or a player personnel guy so he was always going to be bringing in his guys 

#3 is the one that I heard of the most, and makes the most sense. There was also the rumor that Belichick was promising to retire soon so McDaniels would take over from him then. 

Thanks and number three seems the most likely to me as well

18 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I expect his version of the truth to leak soon. It’s the first question any team interviewing him is going to ask. To many people will know to keep it secret much longer

If he went we were losing both our coordinators, and BB would have had a monumental job on his hands - calling the D, teaching up a new O coordinator, all in the twilight of his and Tom's career the season after losing the superbowl. He needed one of those things NOT to happen and so I bet he just persuaded (more likely Robert did) Josh to stay. 

Edited by Hunter2_1