3) Jordan Willis showing off his speed on a few plays
4) Geno can still get in the backfield
5) Adam Jones is a good returner
6) Huber's leg is still attached after a million punts
7) Randy Bullock didn't miss, heyyyyyy

Downs

1) Andy Dalton is having some accuracy issues
2) The line still can't block
3) This RB rotation is killing productivity of the runners (Jeremy Hill 2.8 YPC wooooo)
4) The pass rush couldn't get home enough.  3 sacks?  Come on.
5) The line still can't block
6) Andy still can't throw
7) Little mistakes killing drives - a bad block here, a bad throw there, stepping out of bounds on a sure TD, fumble on an end around, etc.
8) Vanilla play calling on offense
9) Not enough creative blitzes and coverages against a rookie QB
10) John Ross, dude, don't fumble
11) Jeremy Hill can't run

Blah

Play-calling down

Marvin Lewis  down

O-line down in the depths of h3ll   WAYYY down

Dalton couldn't hit the pole barn, let alone a wide open receiver.  I call that down.

Ross' fumble means we might never see him again on the field

Ups

Mixon looked better.  

Defense will outscore the offense this season if this keeps up

Getting Taze beck will only make them better

Up's

1.Pass Rush continues to play good. Atkins and Dunlap were great, and so was Willis who started in place of Johnson. The DL is in good hands in the future.

2.Shawn Williams being back and effective in his first game since injury.

3.Mixon showing good progress.

4.Alex Erickson both on special teams and on offense

5.I took off work today.

Down's

1.The Entire OL.....again

2.Andy Dalton......again

3.Welcome to the NFL John Ross

4.Dat Watson TD run

5.Zampese and Lewis

6.Dennard missed opportunities

7.The season is over (no seriously, its over)

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I actually thought Fisher was ok against a tough matchup.  Ogbuehi is straight trash though.

I agree, Fisher held his own and Watt didn't dominate but Ogbuehi is bad. The pre-season got me mildly optimistic the line could be okay but it's just putrid, unless you have a Russel Wilson or a Rodgers you can't cover up the frailties in the line.

I honestly don't think any QB would succeed with this line and Zampese's playcalling. Dalton has been awful but he's still leagues ahead of McCarron in my mind. He needs to step up though and I'd rather we just pass 70% of the time than run, run, pass, 4th down. With Ross, Eifert, Green, Mixon, Gio we can play a quick passing game and create mismatches. 

Aside from one play the defence was good. Geno is great, Vigil and Rey put themselves about a bit and there was pretty decent coverage. Offence should  score enough points to win that game. 

And yay for Huber. He's good, if we'd won he probably would have been our MVP of that game. 

But yeah we suck. I don't think we make it to 4 wins unless we sort it out.

51 minutes ago, BathBengal said:

I honestly don't think any QB would succeed with this line and Zampese's playcalling. Dalton has been awful but he's still leagues ahead of McCarron in my mind. He needs to step up though and I'd rather we just pass 70% of the time than run, run, pass, 4th down. With Ross, Eifert, Green, Mixon, Gio we can play a quick passing game and create mismatches.

Here's the thing about McCarron.  He's not going to look any better than Dalton on most plays.  The problem is Dalton is missing easy passes left and right.  McCarron will hit those because he doesn't get into funks like Dalton who just looks defeated.  McCarron always seems to make 3-4 throws a game that are $ throws...

7 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Here's the thing about McCarron.  He's not going to look any better than Dalton on most plays.  The problem is Dalton is missing easy passes left and right.  McCarron will hit those because he doesn't get into funks like Dalton who just looks defeated.  McCarron always seems to make 3-4 throws a game that are $ throws...

But he made worse decisions this preseason than Dalton, and Dalton didn't look great.  And McCarron made less money throws and worse adjustments last time we saw him in action in 2015.  

He's more myth than actual production.  Sorry.  Plug him in and you'll find about no functional difference in this offense. 

1 minute ago, theJ said:

But he made worse decisions this preseason than Dalton, and Dalton didn't look great.  And McCarron made less money throws and worse adjustments last time we saw him in action in 2015.  

He's more myth than actual production.  Sorry.  Plug him in and you'll find about no functional difference in this offense. 

I mean, how can the offense possibly look worse?  0 TDs, 4 INTS, and a fumble in 2 games I'm fairly certain McCarron can better.

Also:

A lot of the problems are Dalton and Zampese.  We need to be way more aggressive on offense (mix in uptempo + no huddle), and maybe Dalton just needs a break for a bit.  Playing through is not working.  He didn't look right in the preseason and he looks horrible in the regular season.  Some additional nuggets:

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

I mean, how can the offense possibly look worse?  0 TDs, 4 INTS, and a fumble in 2 games I'm fairly certain McCarron can better.

The argument for a guy should never just be the argument against another guy.

In other words, McCarron is not a good QB.  Maybe if he's playing they score a TD by now.  So yeah, that's better.  But it's still bad.  And Dalton's highs in his career have been way better than anything McCarron has done, so you ride it out with him.  Especially only two games in.  

I'll say this on the positive front:

• Defense looks good.  Young guys just need a bit more experience and they'll start finishing plays better but overall they look good.
  • Special teams seems to have gotten it together.  Punting game looked outstanding.
  • We have talent on offense.  Mixon and Ross are flashing.  We should not go away from them and back to the comforts of one Lafell.  This is just idiotic.
  • As terrible as we've looked, we're not that far off...

Just now, TheVillain112 said:
  • As terrible as we've looked, we're not that far off...

I feel the same way.  The talent is there - that's obvious.  They're just not executing.  It's why i think they're going to go on a run and really tick everyone off by "ruining" the top 5 draft pick.

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

The argument for a guy should never just be the argument against another guy.

In other words, McCarron is not a good QB.  Maybe if he's playing they score a TD by now.  So yeah, that's better.  But it's still bad.  And Dalton's highs in his career have been way better than anything McCarron has done, so you ride it out with him.  Especially only two games in.  

Quoting myself @TheVillain112.  This was AJ McCarron against 2nd and 3rd stringers this preseason.

40/66 - 60%, 0 TD's, 2 INT's, 440 yards, 6.7 YPA

Objectively, i guess that is better.

Archived