? up, ∞ down - game 2

theJ

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Quoting myself @TheVillain112.  This was AJ McCarron against 2nd and 3rd stringers this preseason.

40/66 - 60%, 0 TD's, 2 INT's, 440 yards, 6.7 YPA

Objectively, i guess that is better.

The thing is he started looking better towards the end of preseason.  He looked bad initially.  He improves, Dalton is regressing at an alarming rate.  I know it's unconventional but we just keep doing the same thing there is zero hope.  This is radical but what I would do is start McCarron and send Dalton off to work on his fundamentals with Tom House and his team.  Give him 2 weeks to work on his mechanics, footwork, keeping eyes downfield, footwork in the pocket outside of the pressures of game planning for a team.  Then bring him back.  It's crazy and it won't happen, but it needs to...

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

The thing is he started looking better towards the end of preseason.  He looked bad initially.  He improves, Dalton is regressing at an alarming rate.  I know it's unconventional but we just keep doing the same thing there is zero hope.  This is radical but what I would do is start McCarron and send Dalton off to work on his fundamentals with Tom House and his team.  Give him 2 weeks to work on his mechanics, footwork, keeping eyes downfield, footwork in the pocket outside of the pressures of game planning for a team.  Then bring him back.  It's crazy and it won't happen, but it needs to...

What needs to happen is for the offense to focus on getting the ball to the playmakers.  That means cut Jeremy Hill out.  Lafell should be a 3rd/4th stringer.  Promote Ross and let him run wild.  Mixon and Gio should be getting all the backfield touches.

Instead you get stat lines like this

Alex Erickson 6 targets
Brandon Lafell 7 targets
Jeremy Hill 6 rushes and 1 target

Eifert 4 targets
AJ Green 8 targets
Mixon 9 rushes 1 target
Bernard 5 rushes 4 targets

It's like Zampese is trying to keep everyone happy by distributing the ball evenly, when it really should look like:

AJ Green 12 targets
Mixon 14 rushes 2 targets
Bernard 5 rushes 7 targets
Eifert 8 targets
Ross 5 targets
Lafell 2 targets
Erickson 0 targets
Hill 0 rushes and 0 targets

Look, most of us have played sports.  We can all agree it's really hard to get in a rhythm when you touch the ball once every 20 minutes real time.  As the OC, you just gotta PO a few people and get the ball to the ones that can carry this team.  Dalton will look better if the rest of them are in a rhythm and play better.

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

What needs to happen is for the offense to focus on getting the ball to the playmakers.  That means cut Jeremy Hill out.  Lafell should be a 3rd/4th stringer.  Promote Ross and let him run wild.  Mixon and Gio should be getting all the backfield touches.

Instead you get stat lines like this

Alex Erickson 6 targets
Brandon Lafell 7 targets
Jeremy Hill 6 rushes and 1 target

Eifert 4 targets
AJ Green 8 targets
Mixon 9 rushes 1 target
Bernard 5 rushes 4 targets

It's like Zampese is trying to keep everyone happy by distributing the ball evenly, when it really should look like:

AJ Green 12 targets
Mixon 14 rushes 2 targets
Bernard 5 rushes 7 targets
Eifert 8 targets
Ross 5 targets
Lafell 2 targets
Erickson 0 targets
Hill 0 rushes and 0 targets

Bench Hill, have Green and Ross on the field ever single play unless they need a breather, and whenever they bring in a 3rd WR, bring in Erickson.  Need a 4th, bring in Lafell or Boyd.  I play Erickson over Lafell as he can get open quickly and make something happen with the ball.  We don't get enough time from the oline for Lafell to spend 4 seconds running a route.

29 minutes ago, theJ said:

Look, most of us have played sports.  We can all agree it's really hard to get in a rhythm when you touch the ball once every 20 minutes real time.  As the OC, you just gotta PO a few people and get the ball to the ones that can carry this team.  Dalton will look better if the rest of them are in a rhythm and play better.

He is so inaccurate this year it's crazy. There was a WR bubble screen he threw to Lafell that only traveled 10 yards in the air and it was 5 yards off target. He had a slant to Lafell on a crucial 3rd down, ball travels 15 yards, maybe and is uncatchable... Even his deep throw to AJ was terrible, he benefited from throwing to the most athletically gifted WR in the NFL. 

27 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

He is so inaccurate this year it's crazy. There was a WR bubble screen he threw to Lafell that only traveled 10 yards in the air and it was 5 yards off target. He had a slant to Lafell on a crucial 3rd down, ball travels 15 yards, maybe and is uncatchable... Even his deep throw to AJ was terrible, he benefited from throwing to the most athletically gifted WR in the NFL. 

These are two different things.  It's more than 1 thing wrong with the offense.  Yes, Dalton has been bad.  But there's not much to be there from a coaching standpoint other than work on continuously improving.

But, what can be done immediately is stop giving the ball to mediocre players.  Get the ball to the best players, and even if Andy doesn't get better, the offense still gets better.

30 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

We don't get enough time from the oline for Lafell to spend 4 seconds running a route.

Yes.  He's so slow.  Yeah, eventually works his way open, but they don't have the time with Dalton's happy feet and this line.

Rewatching the game and what jumps out the most to me (besides this excruciating offense) was the second straight week of an easier than most int that was dropped, Marvin's challenge where the ball was moving as he went down and it clearly bounced of the turf and they still called it a catch after review(prob to try to get any offense in the game at all) and how Hopkins has to literally give the textbook two handed shove to get OPI but if hands get caught up or any other ticki tack thing happens while he is going for the catch(always trying to push off himself) they throw the flag on the cornerback. 

And Andy and Marvin will never win a playoff game together. Marvin's only chances died with Kimo, losing the X's and O's battle to Rex Ryan, and Hill's fumble. Andy needs to be the backup somewhere to get a ring. We've known this for awhile but held out hope. Like everyone's said this team isn't far from being a complete team so we might as well see what we have in Mccarron imo. Easy part of the schedule is coming up after Green Bay which is the perfect time if you ask me (thinking we get blown out, blanked, and 8+ sacks, and less than 100 throwing yards at Lambeau).

Archived