Who Won The Clarkson-Exum Trade?

the lone star

Who Won The Clarkson-Exum Trade?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who Won The Clarkson-Exum Trade?

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Neither?  I mean, I guess Utah by default but I don't think this is a great deal for either side.  Utah gets a solid high-volume scorer off the bench, and Cleveland gets a pair of SRPs.

Utah needed a scoring boost off of the bench and got one of the top 5 bench scorers in the league for a guy that couldn't even get into the rotation. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Utah needed a scoring boost off of the bench and got one of the top 5 bench scorers in the league for a guy that couldn't even get into the rotation. 

He isn't a top 5 bench scorer.  He's a career 44% shooter from the field.  At best, he's a high-volume scorer.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just stop while you're behind.

For players that have been primarily bench guys (ie started 5 games or less this season) 

1. Lou Williams - 19.6 ppg (.422 FG)

2. Montrez Harrell - 19.4 ppg (.573 FG)

3. Denis Schroder - 18.5 ppg (.470 FG)

4. Derrick Rose - 17.3 ppg (.486 FG) 

5. Goran Dragic - 15.9 ppg (.451 FG)

6. Davis Bertans - 15.4 ppg (.449 FG)

7. Bogdan Bogdanovic - 14.5 ppg (.426 FG)

8. Jordan Clarkson - 14.4 ppg (.442 FG)

How is he not one of the best bench scorers in the league? 

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How is he not one of the best bench scorers in the league? 

You said he was top 5, so even if your claim was correct your own post just argued otherwise.  And he's posting damn near identical numbers to his final full year in Los Angeles aside from 3P%.  He was an inefficient high-volume scorer then, he's an inefficient high-volume scorer now.  You're just overhyping another Jazz player yet again.  You talked about Dante Exum was one of the best backup guards in the league, and now he's a net zero?  Sometime around the time we talked about how "great" Mudiay was.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You said he was top 5, so even if your claim was correct your own post just argued otherwise.  And he's posting damn near identical numbers to his final full year in Los Angeles aside from 3P%.  He was an inefficient high-volume scorer then, he's an inefficient high-volume scorer now.  You're just overhyping another Jazz player yet again.  You talked about Dante Exum was one of the best backup guards in the league, and now he's a net zero?  Sometime around the time we talked about how "great" Mudiay was.

IIRC during the Jazz broadcast they said he was top 5 in total points scored off the bench this season. Which could still be the case even when the statistics I posted above, but obviously he’s 8th in PPG for guys that primarily come off of the bench. 

I’m not hyping him up to be some great player. But he is one of the best scorers off the bench in the league. We needed more scoring with our second unit. And having guys like Clarkson and Mudiay that can score is helping us win games. Both guys have also been moving the ball more and playing within our system. 

Clarkson is like a better guard version of Kyle Kuzma who Lakers fans were swearing was going to be great this year. Jazz 6-0 since the deal and are currently the hottest team in the league. Put some respect on it.  

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

IIRC during the Jazz broadcast they said he was top 5 in total points scored off the bench this season. Which could still be the case even when the statistics I posted above, but obviously he’s 8th in PPG for guys that primarily come off of the bench. 

I’m not hyping him up to be some great player. But he is one of the best scorers off the bench in the league. We needed more scoring with our second unit. And having guys like Clarkson and Mudiay that can score is helping us win games. Both guys have also been moving the ball more and playing within our system. 

Clarkson is like a better guard version of Kyle Kuzma who Lakers fans were swearing was going to be great this year. Jazz 6-0 since the deal and are currently the hottest team in the league. Put some respect on it.  

That doesn't dispel the notion that he's a high-volume scorer.  He's a career 44% shooter from the field over his career with the Lakers.  And he's shooting 46% from the field, and a blistering 41% from beyond the arc which is 8% points higher than his career averages.  At the very least, wait until those averages normalize before making outrageous claims.  There's a reason why Jordan Clarkson hasn't received any serious votes for 6th MOY.

And as I said before, Clarkson on a rookie contract has value.  Clarkson on a non-rookie contract loses a TON of value.  As soon as Kyle Kuzma gets paid, he loses a TON of value.  Despite being the "hottest" team in the league, they're still 5th in the Western Conference.  If you want to use ridiculously small sample sizes to make you feel better, go ahead.  Just leave me out of it.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That doesn't dispel the notion that he's a high-volume scorer.  He's a career 44% shooter from the field over his career with the Lakers.  And he's shooting 46% from the field, and a blistering 41% from beyond the arc which is 8% points higher than his career averages.  At the very least, wait until those averages normalize before making outrageous claims.  There's a reason why Jordan Clarkson hasn't received any serious votes for 6th MOY.

And as I said before, Clarkson on a rookie contract has value.  Clarkson on a non-rookie contract loses a TON of value.  As soon as Kyle Kuzma gets paid, he loses a TON of value.  Despite being the "hottest" team in the league, they're still 5th in the Western Conference.  If you want to use ridiculously small sample sizes to make you feel better, go ahead.  Just leave me out of it.

When did I ever say that he wasn't a high volume scorer? We've also only seen him on a good team for a 20 game sample size with Cleveland with LeBron and now 6 games in Utah. There's literally no denying that he's one of the better scorers off of the bench in the league. We needed someone that could come in with our second unit, spread the floor, and give us consistent offense. One of our biggest weaknesses was that we didn't have much scoring when Bojan and Mitchell go to the bench, adding Clarkson cures that. 

We added Clarkson on an expiring deal so the salary situation is pretty much meaningless. We're 5th in the Western Conference but we're a game out of 2nd place after being like 2 games over .500 a few weeks ago. 

And what super small sample size am I using? Even looking back at last season, for guys that started less than 10% of their teams games (ie solely bench players) he was #2 in bench PPG with similar efficiency to all of the other guys on the list. 

1. Lou Williams - 20.0 ppg (.425 FG)

2. Jordan Clarkson - 16.8 ppg (.442 FG) 

3. Spencer Dinwiddie - 16.8 ppg (.442 FG)

4. Montrezl Harrell - 16.6 ppg (.615 FG) 

5. Dwayne Wade - 15.0 ppg (.433 FG)