Rich7sena's Mock Offseason 3 *PAGE 6* (Brady to San Fran, Trent Williams trade added, 2 Rounds)

Rich7sena

On 1/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, .Buzz said:

Jags get no FA's and draft a QB not worth a top 10 pick and a RB in the top 20.

Interesting...

i mean if we were to do the trade which is unlikely cuz we would be eating money to not have him unless somehow we do the deal like the texans did with brock and they didnt get hit with no dead money i think and the only reason we do it is to make sure we keep Ngakoue at that point..... it clearly should be a Pick of Derrick Brown based on our Comicly bad Run Defense and Brown is a LEGIT top 5 talent in the draft.   

Edited by LinderFournette

On 1/5/2020 at 4:25 AM, plan9misfit said:

Neither of those two things make any sense. You’re literally having Jacksonville pay Indianapolis to take Foles, and Dallas already has Cooper (whom you have re-signing with them) and Michael Gallup as the starting WRs. Why use a 1st round pick on another WR when you have them losing a starting DE and starting CB? Plus, they need help across the d-line, so I fail to see the logic on a WR so early.

See the Osweiler to Browns trade to understand the trade better.

Picking the player to fill the most immediate need is a) not always what a team does and b) not always the best move to lead to more wins. In this case, I believe the Cowboys picking Ruggs to play WR2/3 makes them better than the alternative. 

I guess I find it difficult to believe that MIA wouldn't go after OL upgrades with plenty of cap space to accommodate. I don't think the Jets will get both of those players, regardless of any connections/ties. Players are about the money, not so much about the connections. I don't think they'll go hog wild like they have in previous years, but it is possible to see MIA go after a few OL before the draft. I can also see them going after an edge rusher/DE. Ngakoue is a plausible target by MIA and/or IND (with the most $ to spend) and that would be a position I don't think they have a major need at this time. I could be wrong, but that defense is pretty stout and Frasier is doing a great job coaching them.. 

Additionally, I don't think Jacksonville moves on from Fournette and drafts D'Andre Swift in the 1st. Actually, i'm not sure we will see a RB taken in the 1st round at all this year. there is a LOT of good options for RB in 2020. I think they go CB more so than RB. 

As for draft, i won't be surprised if MIA targets/drafts Tua now. Barring a team to trade up to 4 to beat MIA to that one, that will be MIA's pick at 5. 
Yetur Gross-Matos has a great motor but not sure he's the pick if we grab 1 or 2 in FA (don't get me wrong, i'm ok with the pick) and Tyler Biadasz is perfect. We need to rebuild the OL so so so badly.... 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:30 AM, Rich7sena said:

Arizona trades David Johnson to Houston for 2020 4th round pick.

Not with that contract and the emergence of Carlos Hyde... Even for a 4th, Johnson costs too much against the cap and is too fragile. If this was "sell low" situation (think Le'Veon Bell) then maybe - but highly unlikely, that cap space is being reserved for Watson and Tunsil.

No thanks, RB isn't that big of a need (especially given the lack of picks).

On 1/6/2020 at 1:56 PM, Rich7sena said:

See the Osweiler to Browns trade to understand the trade better.

Picking the player to fill the most immediate need is a) not always what a team does and b) not always the best move to lead to more wins. In this case, I believe the Cowboys picking Ruggs to play WR2/3 makes them better than the alternative. 

Don’t get me wrong, I rarely (if ever) support drafting for need because it just doesn’t work out. However, in Dallas’ case, I think they’d trade back rather than using a high pick on a WR.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, Rich7sena said:

I always do a cursory search to get an idea of whether a player will re-sign. Usually, the player's perspective tends to be most informative to what ends up happening. Based on that, I have Hooper not re-signing. Also, the Falcons aren't in a great cap situation.

That's false. Hooper wants to be in Atlanta.

Also, the Falcons have the ability to create cap for hooper easily. Cutting Freeman and Sambrailo would be more than enough to fit him in. Add in a potential retirement by Carpenter, and he'll be back.

28 minutes ago, scar988 said:

That's false. Hooper wants to be in Atlanta.

Also, the Falcons have the ability to create cap for hooper easily. Cutting Freeman and Sambrailo would be more than enough to fit him in. Add in a potential retirement by Carpenter, and he'll be back.

This was the quote I relied on: "I'm open to coming back here. I haven't received an offer yet. If I do, I'd definitely like to be here. But, at the same time, it's a business. So, I'm going to let my representation and the representation of the Falcons handle that." To me, it doesn't sound like Hooper isn't open and anticipating to testing the open market.

Also, having cap space isn't the only determiner whether a player comes back. A team usually wants a player back only under a certain number. That number may be higher elsewhere.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

This was the quote I relied on: "I'm open to coming back here. I haven't received an offer yet. If I do, I'd definitely like to be here. But, at the same time, it's a business. So, I'm going to let my representation and the representation of the Falcons handle that." To me, it doesn't sound like Hooper isn't open and anticipating to testing the open market.

Also, having cap space isn't the only determiner whether a player comes back. A team usually wants a player back only under a certain number. That number may be higher elsewhere.

Trust me when I say this, if he doesn't re-sign the offer they're working on for him, the Falcons will just franchise him.

I really hope the Chargers don't do that and get Cam Newton... I'd have to consider not following them anymore if it were to happen. As a Chargers fan in North Carolina, I've seen plenty of Cam to know I don't want him on the team. That said... its a perfect "Chargers" move with Dean thinking it will being in fans (it wont) and Cam's oddities would fit in well in LA. On field, I don't think it even matters.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:30 AM, Rich7sena said:
  • Drew Brees re-signs with New Orleans
  • Dak Prescott re-signs with Dallas
  • Tom Brady re-signs with New England
  • Ryan Tannehill re-signs with Tennessee
  • Phillip Rivers signs with Carolina - never happen, he didn't move his family from SD to LA when team switched cities, he's not moving them to NC
  • Jameis Winston re-signs with Tampa Bay
  • Teddy Bridgewater signs with Cincinnati - I don't think so, either NO if Brees leaves or another place he can start and not be a place holder for a rookie
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick re-signs with Miami
  • Andy Dalton signs with Chicago

• Anthony Castonzo signs with New York Jets - would rather have Conklin and pay extra $$$
  • Brandon Scherff signs with New York Jets - love it
  • Jack Conklin signs with Indianapolis
  • Joe Thuney re-signs with New England
  • Bryan Bulaga re-signs with Green Bay
  • Graham Glashow signs with New York Jets - love it
  • D.J. Humphries re-signs with Arizona

Carolina trades Cam Newton & 2020 1st round pick to Los Angeles Chargers for 2020 1st round pick, 2020 3rd round pick, and 2021 second-round pick.

no way, Cam will not get anything close to this, maybe a 3rd round, not move up and get extra picks........  Why would SD do this rather than just sign a rookie with a way lower salary and longer future.