Bears 2020 Off season thread (Draft, FA)

malagabears

If Alex Smith is actually healthy, it's the best option.

-Knows the system well enough to teach Biscuit if he's the backup

-He's (when healthy) good enough to beat Biscuit outright

-He's old enough that even if he does well, it isn't going to stop the team from trading up for Lawrence in 2021's draft, or get signed to some longterm contract that the next GM/HC can't get out of.

Some Personnel Thoughts and Musing Based on the Tea Leaves

QB

Pace seems locked in on Mitch, but we know that they need insurance in case he flames out again. Mitch sucking next year does not get them fired, 4-12 gets the fired and they need to ensure that there is someone who can step in and make it to 8-8.

Pace kind of brushed off Hub's question about drafting a QB every year, so maybe we see a day 3 guy, maybe we do not.

Prediction: Trubiksy and a tier 2 veteran [Mariota, Smith, Keenum]

WR

I actually think we see more of a move here than we might expect. Hoge and Jahns have been speculating for weeks that Gabriel is gone, not only does he have concussion issues, but he saves almost 5 million, and has not been very productive.

The Bears WR core is too slow and it does not generate the YAC for this system to really click. If they are going to throw short passes they need someone who can turn those into big plays. They need someone to stretch the field vertically even if the QB can only hit them once in awhile. 

John Brown in Buffalo is a good example of a player that simply spreads defenses out because of his speed and Josh Allen makes Mitch look accurate down the field.

Prediction: decent investment in a speed threat at WR.

TE

I know he has some complimentary things to say about Shaheen and Burton, but that sounded like cover my *** talk and not point out how big a bust both have been. The focus of the TE conversation was on "availability" and how they are never available.

There will be multiple moves here. Shaheen will make it to camp and be cut to save a little face for Pace.

Prediction: The free agent TE market is thin. They will sign a professional YTE that can at least play in the run game and draft someone to develop as the receiving threat.

OL

This group had a hugely disappointing season and it cost their coach his job. It was also the on unit that got straight up called out and had very little positive said about it. When Shaheen gets some love and you do not you have to know moves are coming.

Castillo has run a lot of inside zone and in the past has worked with some very big boys.

Prediction: There will be a real FA investment on the interior and probably an OT investment at some point in the draft. We are going to see bigger bodies brought in.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We cant afford to trade for him. The Skins would have to release him.

Depends on what they want. You seriously think they'll demand a high pick?

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Sounds like agent talk to me.

I can't see it happening.  Stranger things have happened though.

It would not make me excited in any way.

You would NOT be excited to have a healthy Alex Smith on the Bears roster?

Seriously?

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If the Bears wait to address TE until the draft, this guy should be one of their top targets- Hunter Bryant, Cole Kmet, or Albert Okwuegbunam.

Awesome. The more the merrier. ****can Burton and Shaheen, then go all out. Sign a guy, draft a guy. 

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Sports Mockery has a clickbait article about Ebron wanting to come here (clickbait because their "evidence" seems pretty thin).

At the very least, he does appear to be done in Indy and knows Mitch decently well.

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/01/pro-bowl-te-sends-chicago-bears-cryptic-instagram-message/

Ebron is a joke. No thanks.