Realistic to Trade Alex Smith?

HTTRDynasty

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So, just saw this:

Any word on his current recovery progress?     Also, what do you think we can get back in compensation?  Bears don’t have a 1st round pick, but tbh, just taking his contract off the books is enough even if we only get a 3rd or 4th back. 

Ha, we'd have to trade Smith and a 3rd for 6th .. just to get rid of the contract. !

AND, I'd do it !

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Ha, we'd have to trade Smith and a 3rd for 6th .. just to get rid of the contract. !

AND, I'd do it !

I mean, if the Eagles could get this for Bradford, I’d be happier paying some of the salary and getting better draft compensation.  Though obviously different situations since the Vikings were desperate after Teddy went down and Bradford wasn’t coming off a devastating injury.

“In a stunning move that thrusts Minnesota right back into the NFC North arms race, the Vikingsexecuted a blockbuster trade for Eaglesquarterback and former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford on Saturday, the Eagles announced. 

The Vikings gave up a first-round pick in 2017 and a fourth-round pick in 2018 that can become a third- or second-rounder based on conditions -- a massive price to pay for what could amount to one season of work. The Eagles paid $11 million of Bradford's salary as part of the deal, which means Minnesota will only be on the hook for $7 million in 2016, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000694979/article/sam-bradford-traded-to-vikings-for-two-draft-picks%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3bteam%3Dden%3bteam%3Dphi%3bteam%3Dmin%3bconf%3Dafc%3bconf%3Dnfc%3bdvsn%3Dacw%3bdvsn%3Dnce%3bdvsn%3Dncn%3bplyr%3Dsamuel_bradford%3bplyr%3Dadrian_peterson%3bplyr%3Dwilliam_daniel&p.ct=Around%2bthe%2bNFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, if the Eagles could get this for Bradford, I’d be happier paying some of the salary and getting better draft compensation.  Though obviously different situations since the Vikings were desperate after Teddy went down and Bradford wasn’t coming off a devastating injury.

“In a stunning move that thrusts Minnesota right back into the NFC North arms race, the Vikingsexecuted a blockbuster trade for Eaglesquarterback and former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford on Saturday, the Eagles announced. 

The Vikings gave up a first-round pick in 2017 and a fourth-round pick in 2018 that can become a third- or second-rounder based on conditions -- a massive price to pay for what could amount to one season of work. The Eagles paid $11 million of Bradford's salary as part of the deal, which means Minnesota will only be on the hook for $7 million in 2016, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000694979/article/sam-bradford-traded-to-vikings-for-two-draft-picks%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3bteam%3Dden%3bteam%3Dphi%3bteam%3Dmin%3bconf%3Dafc%3bconf%3Dnfc%3bdvsn%3Dacw%3bdvsn%3Dnce%3bdvsn%3Dncn%3bplyr%3Dsamuel_bradford%3bplyr%3Dadrian_peterson%3bplyr%3Dwilliam_daniel&p.ct=Around%2bthe%2bNFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Bradford was a lot younger .  Like 30 years old . Still- that was very desperate trade !

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The Bears also have only around $12 mil in cap space heading into the offseason.  Alex Smith's cap number for 2020 is $21.4 mil. 

According to the tweet we'd eat 16 mil so the team we trade him to would have him 1 year 5.4 mil deal which isn't bad for a possible starting QB.

If not the Bears if Phillip Rivers leaves Chargers they would be a good option as they could draft a QB and have Smith be a bridge guy like he was for Mahomes and we also know he was good for Haskins.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

The Bears also have only around $12 mil in cap space heading into the offseason.  Alex Smith's cap number for 2020 is $21.4 mil. 

Some of that would be stay with Washington.

If they can get anything for Smith that would be wonderful as I don't think will ever take another snap in burgundy and gold.

If they cannot trade him, he does have a bit of value as a veteran mentor for Haskins. For a year.

24 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

According to the tweet we'd eat 16 mil so the team we trade him to would have him 1 year 5.4 mil deal which isn't bad for a possible starting QB.

No, the $16.2M that Washington would be responsible for is the remaining three years of Smith's signing bonus amortization. His salary (and thus cap hit for Chicago) would be $16m in 2020. That would be fully guaranteed. He would also have two more years at $19m and $21m that would be completely unguaranteed.

24 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

If not the Bears if Phillip Rivers leaves Chargers they would be a good option as they could draft a QB and have Smith be a bridge guy like he was for Mahomes and we also know he was good for Haskins.

The Chargers (having the sixth pick) would likely look to the draft for their next QB.

I’m assuming they’re figuring he would re-work his contract to facilitate a trade somewhere he could start? 

Because as far as I’m aware, trading him would be just as detrimental to our cap as cutting him — all that guaranteed money would still accelerate against our 2020 cap number and hinder us in our various pursuits. My understanding is that the cap penalty would still be in the ballpark of $32M, which we’d have to carry as dead cap.

Unless we’re getting something substantial and of real value back, I think a trade (like a release) is probably a non-starter at this point. Just stay put with him on the books for one more season and then we can let him go with a manageable cap hit. 

3 hours ago, Woz said:

His salary (and thus cap hit for Chicago) would be $16m in 2020. That would be fully guaranteed.

This is the issue, and the answer determines whether this is even remotely worth considering. 

Does the fully guaranteed 2020 salary travel with the player — and is it thus possible for us to purge that $16M from our books by trading him — or is it treated as all other guaranteed money is and accelerated against our cap when we move him? 

The way you’re treating it makes sense, because I don’t believe he would have been paid that money yet (hence no reason to hold it against us). And if it’s right, we certainly should explore the idea.