Realistic to Trade Alex Smith?

HTTRDynasty

49 minutes ago, e16bball said:

My understanding is that the cap penalty would still be in the ballpark of $32M, which we’d have to carry as dead cap.

No, only half (the signing bonus monies) totalling $16.2m. The other $16m is in salary and would move with him and his contract to Chicago.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Does the fully guaranteed 2020 salary travel with the player — and is it thus possible for us to purge that $16M from our books by trading him — or is it treated as all other guaranteed money is and accelerated against our cap when we move him? 

The way you’re treating it makes sense, because I don’t believe he would have been paid that money yet (hence no reason to hold it against us). And if it’s right, we certainly should explore the idea. 

Yes, it travels because as you said, it hasn't been paid yet (even though it is already guaranteed) unlike his signing bonus, which has been paid out.

I heard an interesting perspective on all the talk about his recovery- he has to say and do that to get the Injury insurance money. If he says he’s not coming back they can void his policy. Food for thought in this discussion. 

I don’t think he ever plays again, but continues to try to rehabilitate and get paid

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

I heard an interesting perspective on all the talk about his recovery- he has to say and do that to get the Injury insurance money. If he says he’s not coming back they can void his policy. Food for thought in this discussion. 

I don’t think he ever plays again, but continues to try to rehabilitate and get paid

It's the Prince Fielder effect from MLB.  If he declares anything, it's that he is medically uncleared to play.  That way, he can collect his contract.  If Smith retires, then he forfeits all of that. 

• Like 1