Wild Card Weekend: New Orleans Saints (13-3) vs. Minnesota Vikings (10-6): Welcome to the madness

Canadian Saint

11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

You make some solid points here. 

The Vikings forum is pretty split on Zimmer and his future. Some point to his success in the regular season (~.600+ winning percentage) while others points towards his inability to win the big game(s) or even have the team ready to play.

A lot of us are curious as to which team will show up on Sunday afternoon. It is one thing to lose a playoff game it is entirely unacceptable to be unprepared and get embarrassed i.e. Philadelphia NFCCG.

I look at the Vikings, and honestly it feels like a 13-3 team to me.  I don't see how they lose some of the games that they lose.  Maybe coaching, maybe bad luck, maybe some of it is on Cousins inconsistency, but Vikings lost games last year that Cousins played well in.

I don't see how people(mainly the media) are expecting a Saints curb stomp here.  Vikes to me look like the 3rd best team in the NFC, and the gap between us and them is not all that much to expect any kind of blowout.  I think they have a better than 40% chance to win this game honestly.  I don't trust them to string together 4 road wins to win the superbowl, but they're deadly enough to have a reasonable chance of some upsets for sure.

Add to that injury concerns for us on the defensive front, and everything is in perfect alignment for Cousins to exorcise the big game demons.

I still think Saints are the better team, but just barely so.

48 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

A lot of us are curious as to which team will show up on Sunday afternoon.

I think you're hearing the same thing from this forum. We don't know which squad we'll get, either. Hopefully not the one that blows lots of coverages and allows easy 75yard TD plays but you just never know. Also hopefully not the offense that needs to be behind by a lot before it figures out how to get a first down. We'll both know for sure in a few days. Here's to hoping nobody else gets hurt and that the zebras don't decide the outcome either way! 🍻

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I look at the Vikings, and honestly it feels like a 13-3 team to me.  I don't see how they lose some of the games that they lose.  Maybe coaching, maybe bad luck, maybe some of it is on Cousins inconsistency, but Vikings lost games last year that Cousins played well in.

I compiled our time-of-possession stats throughtout the 2019 season and we were 1-6 in games we had the ball less than 28 minutes or something like that. To take that even a little further in 4 of our 6 losses we failed to possess the ball for even 25 minutes. Even with that being said the reasons you listed are adequate, at least IMO.

It also doesn't feel like we've played a complete team game this year start to finish. Offense plays well, defense craps the bed and vis-versa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I don't see how people(mainly the media) are expecting a Saints curb stomp here.  Vikes to me look like the 3rd best team in the NFC, and the gap between us and them is not all that much to expect any kind of blowout.  I think they have a better than 40% chance to win this game honestly.  I don't trust them to string together 4 road wins to win the superbowl, but they're deadly enough to have a reasonable chance of some upsets for sure.

Add to that injury concerns for us on the defensive front, and everything is in perfect alignment for Cousins to exorcise the big game demons.

I still think Saints are the better team, but just barely so.

I also agree with all of this. I'm trying to remain optimistic, we'll see what happens. I'm just sick of this team, no matter the players or coaches, not being ready for the big moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

The biggest development in this is that Hughes was placed on IR and Alexander has been ruled OUT.

So with this in mind, what do you see your secondary lining up as? Do you guys think it'll be Rhodes with safety help over the top to cover CGM? Thanks for dropping by too, really appreciate input from other fanbases on their team.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

So with this in mind, what do you see your secondary lining up as? Do you guys think it'll be Rhodes with safety help over the top to cover CGM? Thanks for dropping by too, really appreciate input from other fanbases on their team.

I would prefer Rhodes and Waynes stay outside. If we’re going to follow Thomas, Rhodes would be the guy though. 

Zimmer did game plan well to take Zeke Elliott out of the game. Perhaps he’ll come up with something similar to slow down CGM. 

I have a feeling Payton will want CGM in the slot in which case I believe Jayron Kearse is our best matchup there. 

38 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Let's move this game to Minnesota. It's a prettier stadium and if you win you don't have far to travel to Green Bay. We'll even root for you!

Not going to respond with a way that will jinx us! Nice try. Don’t put that voodoo on me Teninch! Especially after what Uncle Buck did.

very sneaky...

Edited by ckoz24

3 hours ago, ckoz24 said:

Not going to respond with a way that will jinx us! Nice try. Don’t put that voodoo on me Teninch! Especially after what Uncle Buck did.

very sneaky...

Wow, you guys are really superstitious.  Must be all that voodoo down in the bayou.  Speaking of which, if anyone hasn't seen a movie called Skeleton Key, they are missing out.  It was pretty good.

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Just thought I'd put this out there in case nobody in your local media has brought it up as a reminder.  ;)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Then again, it may make you feel better to know that this is what you will be facing this year's game.  xD
giphy.gif

Remind me again how the next week went?

• Like 1

I remember after week 1 in 2017, after Minnesota won big over the Saints, how there was talk of Sean Payton being on his Farewell Tour. 

Things sure did after that, huh?

I'm not expecting the Vikings to win, but I think it'll be a good game. I have no ill-will after the 2009 game loss (which was mostly on Minnesota for turning the ball over like 6 times)

Anyways, good luck. If you win this week, you damn well better win next week too!

15 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I remember after week 1 in 2017, after Minnesota won big over the Saints, how there was talk of Sean Payton being on his Farewell Tour. 

Everyone in this forum was ready to fire Payton and cut Brees.

I was one of the few who was patient with Payton, and I never jumped off the Brees train, I thought he still had a few years left if we could field a competent defense that he didn't have to carry.  But after that disastrous 2017 start, I was sure this was Brees and Payton's last year.  

• Like 3

On 1/3/2020 at 4:16 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Just thought I'd put this out there in case nobody in your local media has brought it up as a reminder.  ;)

Then again, it may make you feel better to know that this is what you will be facing this year's game.  xD

Just thought I'd respond with this in case your team wants to know what it looks like to finish. B|
https://gph.is/2gCRPI4

And this so you know what your team will be facing this game. :D
https://images.app.goo.gl/tbAqXJoESNZbCuNL7