Wild Card Weekend: New Orleans Saints (13-3) vs. Minnesota Vikings (10-6): Welcome to the madness

Canadian Saint

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

We were never winning the superbowl anyway as a wildcard team.  Better than getting our hopes us just to lose later.

That's how I'm viewing it. Easier to handle a loss in the wildcard round. 

Always next year I guess. 

Just now, NFL Network said:

There's goes my big ML bet for supposedly the easiest game of the weekend. Just a complete choke job by this club every year since 2009.

You were being dumb if you thought this was the easiest game of the weekend.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

We were never winning the superbowl anyway as a wildcard team.  Better than getting our hopes us just to lose later.

Game was over once the coin toss went Vikings way. Last year the Saints won the toss in OT and still lost. Can't win regardless of how the coin flips for some reason. 

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

You were being dumb if you thought this was the easiest game of the weekend.

On paper it looked like it. But the Saints keep letting the other team in the game and giving them a chance to win it at the end. Needed a fast start but didn't get it, needed a late TD but didn't get it. 

Just now, NFL Network said:

On paper it looked like it. But the Saints keep letting the other team in the game and giving them a chance to win it at the end. Needed a fast start but didn't get it, needed a late TD but didn't get it. 

The Saints reverted back to what they were doing midseason: playing sloppy. We all figured they had put it behind them but I guess not.

That Seattle game in 2013 was fine. Saints  were outplayed by a better team but played their tails off at the same time. Can they not just lose like that if they’re gonna flop anyway ? Unbelievable. Minnesota a really good team and Saints offence and defense, especially defense, played like they wanted it especially at the end. At least this was a wildcard game ? Stings slightly less. I’m gonna so mad if Minny just gets blown out next week anyway

3 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

The Saints reverted back to what they were doing midseason: playing sloppy. We all figured they had put it behind them but I guess not.

Vikings are just better than everyone was saying.  It’s obvious on paper, they’ve just had injuries and sometimes Cousins is bad.

This defense has always played our offense tough.  People who thought blowout weren’t paying attention.

That being said, we still could have won the game, but we shot ourselves in the foot like we have all season, this time for good.  

No one to blame but ourselves. No refs to blame. No dirty play to blame. Payton blew this one. Team was under prepared and not ready to play. Both lines, O-line and D-line, got dominated by better lines today. Very few came to play with fire. Really disappointed.

EDIT TO ADD: This was also the reason I kept harping on bad habits. They kept piling up towards the end of the season. The culmination of those is tonight. Crappy and error prone play. This is why you iron out wrinkles during the season. Not in the freaking playoffs.

Edited by Canadian Saint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

No one to blame but ourselves. No refs to blame. No dirty play to blame. Payton blew this one. Team was under prepared and not ready to play. Both lines, O-line and D-line, got dominated by better lines today. Very few came to play with fire. Really disappointed.

Payton was also to blame in last years NFC title game as well as he wasn't prepared for a fake punt and had a chance to run the clock out late in the 4th with the game tied and kick a FG with very little time but he called a pass play prior to the non PI call. 

They had a chance to win with a TD late in the 4th but Payton was too chicken to get the ball in the endzone and thus had to settle for 3. 

What about the offensive line who played spotty today. 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:24 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I remember after week 1 in 2017, after Minnesota won big over the Saints, how there was talk of Sean Payton being on his Farewell Tour. 

I'm back on that bandwagon. All that talent, and come out flatter than a pancake.... Reminds me of the 80's/90's Bills or the Andy Ried Eagles.

Close just doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

I think this team is not to be hyped anymore prior to the start of the season given the age of Brees and given their habit of choking in the playoffs regardless of the venue they play in or where they are seeded. 

The one thing they have in their favour is that their division is bad.