Wild Card Weekend: New Orleans Saints (13-3) vs. Minnesota Vikings (10-6): Welcome to the madness

Canadian Saint

Tough game yesterday guys.  It went into overtime, so that shows it was a real battle.  It's never fun to come up short in the playoffs because that means football is over until the draft and next season.  Even so, I wanted to compliment you on a great season, even if it ended before I know you would have liked.  The Saints have a great team, with talent pretty much everywhere and I have no doubt that you will be right back in the playoffs again next year. 

Another thing I want to say is that our two teams seem to have created a rivalry over the years since the '09 season.  I can't stand your coach, but that's my problem.  Hahaha.  He is about the only thing I don't have complete and total respect for in this rivalry, however. The Saints have a ton of great players, one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, who is also a class act in every way, and one of the best fan bases in the country.  You have A LOT to be proud of, and I look forward to our two teams keeping that rivalry alive and intense in the future as the years go by.  Best of luck in the draft and offseason, and we'll see you again next year.  God bless.

• Like 1

I think I'm done until after next year. Like Sammy said, watching this team is exhausting.  Heartbreak after heartbreak has been this regime's modus operandi. 

Not sure I've been more disgusted with a Saints team. Taysom Hill, Deonte Harris, and Demario Davis were the only things worth watching in that game. 

If the rest of the team played with the fire those 3 guys did, Vikings get blown the 🤬 out the Dome.

Edited by SWATcha
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, Raves said:

I think I'm done with watching/thinking about football for a few weeks.  Two losses in as many weeks, just done with it right now.

1st post in over 2 years... I walked away from the NFL for personal reasons and beliefs/values a couplrle years ago. I began watching the Saints again last year but with the way that season ended I truly felt I was done with the NFL for good.

Then after another offseason Brees and the boys pulled me back in again only to have it end in this fashion again. 

I always would think about the guys on this fourm and what y'all were discussing but I stayed away because I just didn't want to allow myself to fall deeper and deeper into the hook of the NFL which is a busniess Ive come to despise in many ways. 

However... Those of you who know me, know I love this team. Ive always been loyal to the logo on the helmet and not the name on the back of the jersey. Its a big reason why many of my past post may have ticked a few of you off from time to time because I am not a player homer in any way. 

Ive decided to come back to the fourm as wins and losses don't affect me as much as in the past and I feel that now I can be more bias in my views reguarding this team and the NFL. Ive always been a old shcool mind when it came to the game of football. I have a love of scouting prospects thats never changed and the game itself appears to moving into a new era of football the way its played on the field... That excites me.

The game is changing and changing for the better in my opinion and I look fwd to discussing it with you guys again moving fwd if thats ok.

Worm

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Ive decided to come back to the fourm as wins and losses don't affect me as much as in the past and I feel that now I can be more bias in my views reguarding this team and the NFL.

That's how we should all be honestly.  It's hard to win a superbowl and almost impossible to win two in one era.  The Pats have fooled everybody into thinking it's easy, but it's not.  We can't control the game and shouldn't let ourselves be affected by the losses.

41 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That's how we should all be honestly.  It's hard to win a superbowl and almost impossible to win two in one era.  The Pats have fooled everybody into thinking it's easy, but it's not.  We can't control the game and shouldn't let ourselves be affected by the losses.

Exactly...

I love the Saints but im no longer consumed by them which allows me to appreciate thier 13-3 season despite the hurt of the dissappointing wildcard loss. 

Im also in a place where I love the game again to a point where despite beating my favorite team, I can appreciate the performance of the Vikings, especially thier defensive unit while watching my teams season end.

Im comfortable enough to say in the same sentence that while I love Drew Brees and appreciate all hes done for this team, the time has come for the Saints to move in another direction even if it means a slight setback in performance in the begining. As a fanbase we cant be so terrified of the past that were afraid to move fwd into the future.

Im a firm believer in the idea that NO player is ever bigger than the team... I feel the Saints organization (whether they want to admit it or not) has lost site of that ideal and it was on grand display in thier recent wildcard loss to the Vikings.

Im looking fwd to the topics of discussions concerning this team over this offseason.

16 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I love the Saints but im no longer consumed by them which allows me to appreciate thier 13-3 season despite the hurt of the dissappointing wildcard loss. Im also in a place where I love the game again to a point where despite beating my favorite team, I can appreciate the performance of the Vikings, especially thier defensive unit while watching my teams season end.

Yeah agreed, I've pretty much gotten to that point as well. I can respect that the Vikings played better than anticipated, and that the Saints simply didn't execute/played sloppy and didn't deserve to win this year. I still feel like our team has a quality roster that will give us a chance to compete in the coming seasons. 

Im comfortable enough to say in the same sentence that while I love Drew Brees and appreciate all hes done for this team, the time has come for the Saints to move in another direction even if it means a slight setback in performance in the begining. As a fanbase we cant be so terrified of the past that were afraid to move fwd into the future.

I'm right there with ya, I think this guy deserves a shot to lead the team after what he showed this season. His last few games as a starter really sold me on his potential here.

Image result for teddy bridgewater

Im looking fwd to the topics of discussions concerning this team over this offseason.

Also, welcome back!

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Agreed, the time to retire is now.  Whether or not he actually does is a different story.

It might take a Zombie Brees season, a la Peyton 2015 to get him to retire.

I don't know if the QBOTF is on the roster, they may or may not be, but Teddy and Taysom both deserve a chance for starting gig with somebody.

21 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Ive decided to come back to the fourm

Welcome back. I've missed your comments, and was worried something had happened to you. Glad to hear you needed a break. I was there after last years ending.

Regarding Brees: I agree that it's time. I've never seen a veteran QB look so rattled right out of the gate as Brees did last week. His 2 minute drive ending in a fumble was the worst I think I've ever seen from him. I think the speed of these new players and the length of the season has caught up to him, and that's with him having 5 full weeks off. Not a good sign.

We all keep talking about "do it for Brees". Well, maybe do it for the TEAM, and keep in mind Cam Jordan and Demario Davis aren't getting any younger, either.

We've got a really decent group of players on defense, and a fairly decent offense. Add to (or gel) the secondary a bit, and find another dynamic WR, and I think we'll be looking good.

I won't get into the Bridgewater discussion here, but I'm sure I will down the road a touch. Taysom needs to be retained as he's so much more than just a backup QB.

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Raves said:

After the Ravens just dropped to a 6th seed with Ryan Tannehill as the starting QB I'm not so upset to the Saints losing to the Vikings.

It's football, they're all professionals for a reason, and we all know about "any given Sunday (Saturday-Monday)". Still stings, but yeah, point taken, for sure.

And then the Vikings go and do Vikings things. Play the Saints like it's their Superbowl, and then barely show up the following week.

I'm still amazed that we drop 46 points on that 49ers defense. Equally amazed they dropped 48 on ours....

We need a Saints forum general thread because i don't know where else to put this. Just watched the highlights of the Titans/Ravens game and Kenny V had an all hands INT on an out route -- if the Titans complete this Cinderella story of theirs I'm gonna be very happy for him seeing as how he was on the cusp of not being able to find a team/role after the Saints released him because the Safety market is a weird one (+ I remember him looking like he'd been zapped of any speed he used to have in his last few seasons with the Saints). We also have Stills with the Texans if anyone's keeping tabs on former Saints on teams still in the playoffs.