Cowboys fire HC Jason Garrett

Manny/Patrick

Honestly, I'd love to see Saleh get to coach the Cowboys. Win-win, in my opinion. It would certainly make sense, as well, since he'd be coming late to the coach search party, much like the Cowboys. Seems to be a huge motivator and defensive guru. There'd be great talent to work with in that pass rush, some great players in the secondary, and a trio of talented linebackers.

1 minute ago, HoboRocket said:

Honestly, I'd love to see Saleh get to coach the Cowboys. Win-win, in my opinion. It would certainly make sense, as well, since he'd be coming late to the coach search party, much like the Cowboys. Seems to be a huge motivator and defensive guru. There'd be great talent to work with in that pass rush, some great players in the secondary, and a trio of talented linebackers.

Saleh getting this HC talk baffles me a bit, especially this “defensive guru” talk. Before this year, myself and other niner fans on this forum, as well as many who follow the team felt this was Saleh’s last chance to prove something as a DC. Up to this year his game coordinating was extremely average and he showed a lack of ability to adapt and scheme during a game or make any adjustments. This year he has been given an amazing defensive roster with playmakers galore in the front 7, a secondary that is not void of talent either. Early in the season our defense was destroying teams and getting a lot of turnovers. Turnovers definitely have an aspect of putting guys in the right place and scheme but just as much luck plays into many of them. Lately our defense hasn’t been getting many turnovers at all, our pass rush has faltered greatly and little change has been made. Saleh has been calling a few more blitzes than normal but he’s not big on them or being creative when creating pressure. His coverage schemes are fairly straight forward, like the Seahawks legion of boom, which require or ask players more to react than overthink and use their talent and athleticism. So unless a team has studs on every level of their defense, and are good enough to not need in game adjustments because they are just that overwhelming for NFL offenses then I’m not sure Saleh is bringing much to the table as a schemer.

Where he does shine however is the fire and responses he seems to get from his guys. The dude is legit the most fired up guy on the field when a big play happens and his players seem to play for him and have his back. Not sure every team is looking for a rowdy, fired up HC but then what do I know. Maybe he’s the type of ra ra guy a team needs and paired with experienced coordinators can find success. Who knows? I certainly don’t. What I do know is for me personally, I won’t be too upset if he gets a HC gig and we have to find a new DC. I will wish him the best wherever he lands but I’m not sure this defensive guru and HC talk is all too accurate for Saleh.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Saleh getting this HC talk baffles me a bit, especially this “defensive guru” talk. Before this year, myself and other niner fans on this forum, as well as many who follow the team felt this was Saleh’s last chance to prove something as a DC. Up to this year his game coordinating was extremely average and he showed a lack of ability to adapt and scheme during a game or make any adjustments. This year he has been given an amazing defensive roster with playmakers galore in the front 7, a secondary that is not void of talent either. Early in the season our defense was destroying teams and getting a lot of turnovers. Turnovers definitely have an aspect of putting guys in the right place and scheme but just as much luck plays into many of them. Lately our defense hasn’t been getting many turnovers at all, our pass rush has faltered greatly and little change has been made. Saleh has been calling a few more blitzes than normal but he’s not big on them or being creative when creating pressure. His coverage schemes are fairly straight forward, like the Seahawks legion of boom, which require or ask players more to react than overthink and use their talent and athleticism. So unless a team has studs on every level of their defense, and are good enough to not need in game adjustments because they are just that overwhelming for NFL offenses then I’m not sure Saleh is bringing much to the table as a schemer.

Where he does shine however is the fire and responses he seems to get from his guys. The dude is legit the most fired up guy on the field when a big play happens and his players seem to play for him and have his back. Not sure every team is looking for a rowdy, fired up HC but then what do I know. Maybe he’s the type of ra ra guy a team needs and paired with experienced coordinators can find success. Who knows? I certainly don’t. What I do know is for me personally, I won’t be too upset if he gets a HC gig and we have to find a new DC. I will wish him the best wherever he lands but I’m not sure this defensive guru and HC talk is all too accurate for Saleh.

To be fair, some of that same stuff was being said by some Panthers fans (to a lesser degree) about Sean McDermott when the Bills hired him to be their HC.  The defense wasn't humming quite like it was when they went to the Super Bowl, there were questions of how much influence Rivera had versus McDermott, but McDermott stood out as a "culture guy," which is a very defensible trait for HC candidate (it's one of those reasons why - his advanced age is pretty much the big preventative issue at this point - I was advocating that John Mitchell on the Steelers' staff would make a great HC candidate all the way back 5+ years ago).

I do agree with you that some things do need to be taken with a grain of salt where Saleh is concerned: That you guys added a DROY to the roster (who also has a case for DPOY consideration), that one of your guys who wasn't exactly known for his consistency finally found it... in a contract-year, etc.  But I do feel that Saleh's intangibles merit him at least consideration, it's not like he's new to the league or anything.  They might not merit him favoritism for a hire, but if he interviews well, it wouldn't be outlandish for a savvy owner to see something in him and try to get in before his stock goes through the roof and everyone is after him as the candidate du jour - similar to how the Bills did with McDermott, the Eagles did with Doug Pederson, and the Rams did with Sean McVay.

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

So... by doing this you realize he would be preventing his "friend" the opportunity to be considered for other HC vacancies and possibly, depending on the schedule of how quickly hirings go down, coordinator position consideration as well, right?

If Jerry was trying to save face and make himself look like a good guy, he could just as easily terminate the contract and put out the spin that they're doing this so as to give Garrett as much time as possible to be considered for and prepare for interviews for other HC opportunities.  This could just as well be an effort to keep him from going straight to the Giants, in a HC capacity or differently, and with a high-level of intel on the current Cowboys personnel.

You are ignoring the possibility that Garrett had some input. 

What makes any of you think Belicheck of all people would intentionally leave one of the least controlling Owners in the NFL for the most Meddlesome one in Jones?

You honestly believe Jerry is capable of Shutting his mouth, not do weekly interviews and post game PC which is essential to the Patriot and Belicheck Way of thinking???

I can't think of a least likely pairing, then those two! Seriously!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

To be fair, some of that same stuff was being said by some Panthers fans (to a lesser degree) about Sean McDermott when the Bills hired him to be their HC.  The defense wasn't humming quite like it was when they went to the Super Bowl, there were questions of how much influence Rivera had versus McDermott, but McDermott stood out as a "culture guy," which is a very defensible trait for HC candidate (it's one of those reasons why - his advanced age is pretty much the big preventative issue at this point - I was advocating that John Mitchell on the Steelers' staff would make a great HC candidate all the way back 5+ years ago).

I do agree with you that some things do need to be taken with a grain of salt where Saleh is concerned: That you guys added a DROY to the roster (who also has a case for DPOY consideration), that one of your guys who wasn't exactly known for his consistency finally found it... in a contract-year, etc.  But I do feel that Saleh's intangibles merit him at least consideration, it's not like he's new to the league or anything.  They might not merit him favoritism for a hire, but if he interviews well, it wouldn't be outlandish for a savvy owner to see something in him and try to get in before his stock goes through the roof and everyone is after him as the candidate du jour - similar to how the Bills did with McDermott, the Eagles did with Doug Pederson, and the Rams did with Sean McVay.

Definitely agree about the culture aspect of a HC. And I don’t want it to seem like hate Saleh or dislike him in anyway. He’s a great personality and coaching type to have next to Shanny. He’s not an idiot when it comes to using the players he has either. He definitely has his style and knows who he is in that regard. He may very well be a great leader of men once given the position of HC, however this defensive guru talk is a bit much. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You are ignoring the possibility that Garrett had some input. 

On who would replace him?  Or on when he'd go?  I'm not ignoring it, I just don't believe whatever input he had was terribly high priority.  Same way that I believe there actually are people in this world who are truly selfless, just that they are fewer and further between than a lot of people want to give credit for.

Just now, The LBC said:

On who would replace him?  Or on when he'd go?  I'm not ignoring it, I just don't believe whatever input he had was terribly high priority.  Same way that I believe there actually are people in this world who are truly selfless, just that they are fewer and further between than a lot of people want to give credit for.

On how he would go. If he doesnt plan on coaching 2020 (possibility), he might want to finish off his time here and take a sabbatical. 

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Definitely agree about the culture aspect of a HC. And I don’t want it to seem like hate Saleh or dislike him in anyway. He’s a great personality and coaching type to have next to Shanny. He’s not an idiot when it comes to using the players he has either. He definitely has his style and knows who he is in that regard. He may very well be a great leader of men once given the position of HC, however this defensive guru talk is a bit much. 

He comes from a solid pedigree - I'd probably lump him in equally as an intersection of the Dom Capers tree and the Pete Carroll tree.  The real question for me about him would be whether he can avoid falling victim to what pretty much every other guy from the Carroll tree has of late once they became a HC in trying to do too much and not trusting somebody else to coordinate their defensive unit - with their input on the concept/scheme obvious being included.  Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn both fell victim to this.  On the offensive end, you could make a good argument that both Hue Jackson (he has ties there) and Steve Sarkisian both exhibited this same issue as HC's.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

On how he would go. If he doesnt plan on coaching 2020 (possibility), he might want to finish off his time here and take a sabbatical. 

He's planning on become a spokesmodel for the Clapper?  Or he looked at MNF coverage, saw Booger, and arrived at the conclusion that any idiot can do this commentary job?

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

He comes from a solid pedigree - I'd probably lump him in equally as an intersection of the Dom Capers tree and the Pete Carroll tree.  The real question for me about him would be whether he can avoid falling victim to what pretty much every other guy from the Carroll tree has of late once they became a HC in trying to do too much and not trusting somebody else to coordinate their defensive unit - with their input on the concept/scheme obvious being included.  Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn both fell victim to this.  On the offensive end, you could make a good argument that both Hue Jackson (he has ties there) and Steve Sarkisian both exhibited this same issue as HC's.

Thankfully, Sark was never a HC. Lord, what a disaster that would be. I still say that Dan's issue with defense is a talent one, rather than scheme (what we're running isn't that different than what SF runs) - but Dan has had major input on the talent that gets brought into Atlanta, so it doesn't absolve him very much. Dan also has the issue where all of his coaching hires come from someone he knows (ie his buddies), he doesn't hire outsiders, which infuriates a lot of Falcons fans.

I don't know the specifics on Saleh, but if he can avoid that last bullet point, he's a got a decent shot at being a solid HC.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

He's planning on become a spokesmodel for the Clapper?  Or he looked at MNF coverage, saw Booger, and arrived at the conclusion that any idiot can do this commentary job?

Well he did welcome Jason Witten back with open arms, so I'm sure he was fully aware it didn't take much?