End of Season Mock 2020

Madmike90

Coaching Changes…

Bears Fire Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka as OC…

Matt Nagy has already went for a coach he is familiar with in Castillo to be the OL coach…I expect Castillo with his experience will be responsible for more than just that and will play a huge role in the design of our rushing attack…given that our OC will be allowed to work much more with Turbisky in one final desperate attempt to develop Mitch…with Kafka on board I would expect him be the lead on Trubisky with Ragone being more about play design and install during the week…Nagy can then hopefully dedicate a bit more time to his play calling duties as he won’t hand those over.

Resign…

QB…Chase Daniel

TE…J.P Holtz

OT…Rashaad Coward

OL…Ted Larsen

NT…Nick Williams

DE…Roy Robertson-Harris

ILB…Danny Trevathan

ILB…Kevin Pierre-Louis

OLB…Aaron Lynch

SS…Haha Clinton-Dix

SS…Deon Bush

FS…Deandre Houston-Carson

LS…Patrick Scales

I wouldn’t mind keeping Daniel as long as it is at a much reduced rate…if not give me Matt Moore or A.J McCarron…Holtz played well for us and I could see him as a #3 TE who could also play the H-Back role…Coward still has potential and is a good backup…Larsen isn’t a great player IMO but at least he offers versatility and a cheap backup inside…Williams is a really good nickle rusher who should have a decent market but we badly need to keep him as a we lack pass rush as it is…RRH is still a quality rotational guy who again is key to keep or we simply open another hole upfront…Trevathan is such a leader for this defence and with Nick-K looking like he should be getting real good money I would suspect we try and reup Trevathan at a lower rate…KPL has shown up with on special teams and seems solid as a nickel LB…Lynch is a solid OLB who brings some versatility…I would like to see him with his hand on the ground more in nickel…Clinton-Dix could come back on a fairly cheap deal…if not we move on with Bush and a rookie…Bush is a solid player…DHC is a solid backup and special teamer…Scales has always been solid.

Release…

TE…Bradley Sowell

OT…Cornelius Lucas

OL…Kyle Long

DE…Brent Urban

ILB…Nick Kwiatkoski

OLB…Leonard Floyd

OLB…Isaiah Irving

CB…Sherrick McManis

Sowell couldn’t even stay on the roster this year let alone next…Lucas played well when called upon and more than likel we are outpriced for him…Long is finished and not worth the money…Urban was okay but e could get younger and better…someone will sign Nick-K as a starter which might get us a conditional pick…Floyd’s play fell off a cliff after a fast start…I hope we pull his option as he is just not worth the money …Irving is just a guy…McManis has been passed up by Buster and Shelly.

Cuts…

WR…Taylor Gabriel…save $4.5 million…$2.0 million dead

CB…Prince Amukamara…save $8 million…$1 million dead

Gabriel has fallen off as the season went on and truthfully a 5-8” WR is not the guy we need for Trubisky…Amukamara has been good again this season but $9 million is just too much…time to get younger and cheaper…if you add these three at $12.5 million…Floyd at just over $13 million…and Long at around $9.6 million we all of a sudden have plenty of cap space…Eddie Jackson awaits.

Free Agency…

RB…Kareem Hunt…Browns…

And we are off with a bang haha…signing Hunt would cause a lot of fans some moral reservations including myself but I think when people are fighting for their jobs they are willing to take more of a risk…add in the fact we aren’t the first team to take a shot on him and I think Pace and ownership would be more open to it this year around…I reckon Nagy always wanted the move and putting aside the controversy there is no questioning the guys talent or fit in this scheme…Hunt and Montgomery behind a better zone blocking offensive line could be special.  

OG…Austin Blythe…Rams…

My number one FA target this offseason…Whitehair & Daniels got a bit of a rough deal this season with being asked to move about and lay in a pure power scheme which just didn’t fit their skill sets…I expect to see a bounce back from both with Whitehair staying at centre and Daniels at LG meaning we badly need to address the RG spot…Blythe is a sneaky good OG who is rock solid in both pass pro and as a run blocker…he doesn’t have too much wear and tear on his body but does have good experience and is another guy who can play both guard or centre…for me he is plug and play on the inside at RG…as much as I am sure the Rams would love to resign him they have the likes of Ramsey, Fowler, Whitworth, Brockers & Littleton to resign.

DL…Vernon Butler…Panthers…

You can never have enough huge young physically talented DLs on your team…Butler has been a disappointment for the Panthers in their 4-3 scheme but that always felt like a miscast for me…Butler is a big space eater who has the ability to hold up against double teams and let the LBs behind him run…hopefully with the physical talents he also has a guy like Hicks can take him under his wing and show him how to disrupted the pocket as well…I see Pagano wanting to get bigger inside & Butler needing a change of scenery…who wouldn’t want to play on this D?

CB…P.J Williams…Saints…

With cutting Amukamara we are going to have to find a replacement at CB as I don’t feel Toliver is ready to just be handed the job…no doubt we draft a rookie but having another young CB on the roster with experience starting both inside and out makes a ton of sense…Williams is a quality athlete who has probably been asked to play a little too much on an island in NO…here he would have a safety like Jackson playing over the top of him and a better pass rush so I think he could make it work…Toliver, Williams & a rookie competing for the #2 CB role would be solid.

Draft…

Round 2…  

TE…Brycen Hopkins…6-5” 245lbs…Purdue…

This offence will never reach its peak until we find a top quality TE who can really stress defences at every level…Burton can’t be trusted to stay healthy let alone play well…Shaheen at best is an inline blocker at this point…Holtz, Horsted & Braunecker are all depth guys…Hopkins was flying under the radar coming into the season but the secret is out…Hopkins reminds me a little of Greg Olsen coming out of Miami in terms of size, speed & physicality…he can line up as an inline TE but his true value in this offence would be as the flex TE where he has the size to overpower DBs and speed to outrun LBs…Hopkins has a career average of 16.3 YPC and that is exactly what we need to open this offence up and give Trubisky a bit reliable target he can use all over the formation.  

Round 2… 

OLB…Jon Greenard…6-3” 263lbs…Florida…

I would love this pick to be an OT but truthfully there is just no one in this range I like who I expect to be there…add in the fact I expect a bounce back from Leno under Castillo we can now go defence here…a CB could be the pick but for me a pass rusher will always be more important when it comes to talent vs. talent…with Floyd going we need to find a pass rusher who can take advantage of the 1 on 1s that Mack & Hicks will create…Greenard has been productive at both Louisville and Florida using both speed and power moves…his ability to change up his rushes is impressive and I love his counter move…I feel he is far more of a natural rusher than Floyd was and think playing across from Mack would turn out to be a steal in the 2nd round.

Round 4 (comp pick)…

QB…Anthony Gordon…6-3” 210lbs…Washington State…

Is Trubisky the guy? Honestly at this point I am not sure what to think…I reckon with the right scheme changes and support around him he has the talent to be a good QB in the NFL but if we can’t give him more help we are going to have to look elsewhere…I would like to give Nagy a young QB to try and mould…a QB from a Mike Leach scheme who throws the ball all over the back yard using a cannon of an arm from his baseball background…sound familiar? No one this Gordon is going to be Mahomes but he wouldn’t be asked to be…Gordon is an exciting gunslinger and if Nagy can get him to play within the system we could have a real competition on our hands over the next couple of years…truth be told I wouldn’t even be disappointed with this guy in round 2 if we do want a new QB.  

Round 5 (via OAK)…

CB…Jeff Gladney…6-0” 190lbs…TCU…

Every draft should always have a DB somewhere in it and here we get a traits guy who Pagano will hopefully be able to turn into a quality bit of competition for the #2 CB role early in his career…Gladney has a lot of talent but comes with some off-field concerns which will push him down some boards…he is also a little lightweight in terms of his play strength and will need to work on this area of his game to match up with bigger more physical WRs but he could be the perfect foil for Fuller given his speed on the outside to matchup with quicker receivers who can cause some issues for Fuller…he would be the underdog in the battle for that #2 spot but will a bit of time could develop into a really good CB.

Round 5 (Via Philly)…

OT…Robert Hunt…6-5” 323lbs…Louisiana…

The OL last year was terrible and as much as I am still a big believer in the talent that is there I have no doubt we need to develop better depth and guys who can push for starting roles…I really like Coward up front as a development guy and think there could be a starting role down the line for him…Hunt reminds me a lot of Coward…great size & strength at the point of attack and strong hands…yes his footwork is raw but he seems to have the athletic ability to clean that up with proper coaching…another guy who has played both OG & OT in college…I like the fit for us.

Round 5… 

WR…Jauan Jennings…6-3" 205lbs…Tennessee…

With Gabriel being released we have to add another WR to the rotation who fits the mold of WR that Trubisky is going to need to be successful…Jennings has good size but it is his speed that would make him stand out from the likes of Robinson & Wims…Jennings is a true deep threat who could be used to open things up underneath for the afore mentioned pair along with Miller and our TEs and anything we can do to take guys out the box and spread the field will be imperative to getting our running game back on track.

Round 6…

ILB…Shaquille Quarterman…6-0” 240lbs…

With Nick-K leaving and Danny T only being here for another couple of seasons it would be smart to try and develop a long term replacement…Iggy has not shown any signs of developing into more than a backup LB and special teamer so let’s try again with Quarterman…round 6 is probably his ceiling due to the fact he isn’t a great coverage guy but he is very active in the run game and a quality blitzer from ILB which is big for Pagano and the “Baltimore style” of defence…as a downhill thumper he would offer something different in a backup role and could develop is skills as a pass defender down the line much like Danny T is Denver.

Round 7…

OLB…Alex Highsmith…6-3” 245lbs…Charlotte…

More front seven depth and competition at the OLB spot…Highsmith had excellent productivity this season with 14 sacks & 21.5 TFL…those are eye popping numbers on a team with limited talent where every offensive coordinator knows where the danger is coming from and to game plan it…level of competition will always be a discussion and as much as his Clemson tape was good he might never become a mainstay of this roster but there is some talent there.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Chase Dainel…Anthony Gordon

RB…Kareen Hunt…David Montgomery…Tarik Cohen

FB…Ben Braunecker

WR…Allen Robinson…Jauan Jennings

WR…Javon Wims…Riley Reid

Weapon…Cordarrelle Patterson…Anthony Miller

TE…Brycen Hopkins...Adam Shaheen…JP Holtz…Jesper Horsted (Burton IR)

LT…Charles Leno

LG…Cody Whitehair…Robert Hunt                     

C…James Daniels…Ted Larsen

RG…Austin Blythe

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                                

LE…Akiem Hicks…Roy Robertson-Harris

NT…Eddie Goldman…Nick Williams

RE…Bilal Nichols…Vernon Butler                      

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Alex Highsmith

ILB…Roquan Smith…Kevin-Pierre Louis…Shaquille Quarterman

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Jon Greenard…Aaron Lynch

NB…Buster Skrine…Duke Shelley                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Jeff Gladney

CB…P.J Williams…Kevin Toliver                  

SS…HaHa Clinton-Dix…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                    

P…Pat O’Donnell

K… Eddy Piñeiro

LS…Patrick Scales

• Like 2

I think it would be a huge mistake letting Kwiatkoski walk, I don’t think he’ll command enough on the market to justify letting him go. 

Floyd seems to be in good graces with the coaching staff, another player I’d be surprised if they let walk. 

Can’t see management bringing in Hunt given his background. 

I’d be shocked if neither OL or CB is selected in the 2nd round. 

Like Hopkins and Blythe a lot though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pigsooie5 said:

Calm stead press conferences aside, I think this regime is probably going to be more desperate, and therefore more comfortable taking chances on character for performance. I don't like it, but they have to feel under pressure and confident that there will be enough distractions like an Iran-Pewdiepie war to overshadow any blowback. 

As things stand now it wouldn't surprise me if they forced a bit to get either a TE or OL in rd 2 and used the other pick on bpa, especially if there is premium position player that falls. 

Kwiatkoski will probably get in the 4-6M a year range. That may be too high for the Bears. I'd rather keep KPL (and never let him play ST again) and then sign an ILB to let him compete with.

I love Robert Hunt and Jon Greenard.

Decent offseason. Nothing sexy but as usual none of this matters if the QB stinks again.

Edited by beardown3231

I think we will see more done at OL and TE that you suggest.

Blythe is an okay player, but I think there is better bang for your buck in free agency on the line.

I think we will see at least 2 free agent, 1 starter 1 competition guy, added on the OL and one added at TE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think it would be a huge mistake letting Kwiatkoski walk, I don’t think he’ll command enough on the market to justify letting him go. 

Floyd seems to be in good graces with the coaching staff, another player I’d be surprised if they let walk. 

Like Hopkins and Blythe a lot though 

With Nicky K I honestly don't think we will get a chance to let him walk or not...someone will over pay for him...

Floyd might be in the coaching staffs good graces but no one can look at his tape and say he is worth around $14 million a season...

Hunt is always going to be the controversial one but for me this offence will only work with an elite back and quality TE...Hunt gives you that free and it will be tough for them to pass up...

As I said I would love to draft a OT in the 2nd but I reckon everyone worthy of the pick would be gone and the last thing we want to do is leave talent on the board and press for needs.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I think they need to draft 2 OL and 1 pure OT. They’ve picked several DBs in the past few years and should see what they have in some of those guys.

If the Bears cut Prince then they need a CB for sure. Even if you like Tolliver as a starter you need someone with skills to start if Fuller or Tolliver get hurt. They took Shelley last year but he projects as a slot cornerback.

19 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Floyd might be in the coaching staffs good graces but no one can look at his tape and say he is worth around $14 million a season...

Why on earth wouldn't they trade him? He'd likely fetch a very high pick, or a really good player, in return. 

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Why on earth wouldn't they trade him? He'd likely fetch a very high pick, or a really good player, in return. 

I considered the trade but honestly have no idea how you value the guy...is he is rusher? Is he an off LB? Would he have any value to a 4-3 team? He is honestly one of the toughest grades in football.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I considered the trade but honestly have no idea how you value the guy...is he is rusher? Is he an off LB? Would he have any value to a 4-3 team? He is honestly one of the toughest grades in football.

He will have a ton of value to a 4-3 team. Pace drafted a great player. Just one that didn't fit the system he wanted to run.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

What's "very high?"

A first. Can't get any higher than that, last I checked. Floyd's not a great pass rusher. He is a great linebacker. 

37 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He will have a ton of value to a 4-3 team. Pace drafted a great player. Just one that didn't fit the system he wanted to run.

A first. Can't get any higher than that, last I checked. Floyd's not a great pass rusher. He is a great linebacker. 

Wait, you think the Bears could *likely* get a 1st round pick in a trade for Floyd? HAHAHA log off, dude. Jamie Collins was 2x the player Floyd was in his prime and the Pats got a conditional third.

Edited by beardown3231