Eddie Jackson inks huge extension

beardown3231

Man, some of you either have too high of expectations regarding players or you really are a "what have you done for me lately" crowd. Or both.

I remember the majority of you jumping up and down when Fuller got paid top-5 CB money with only 1 good year out of 4, but you guys have a problem with paying EJ top-5 money after having 2 consecutive good seasons?! I just don't get it...

And all this "mediocre" talk is nonsense. Some of you need to go back and watch these games.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I’m just saying it may have been safer to wait and see if he can replicate his 2018 performance before paying him a salary that counts on him being a top 5 safety.

Holding a player to standards such as these are too unrealistic. He was a 1st team all-pro in 2018. Expecting him to match that year after year when he has only been in the league for years is not reasonable.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I like Jackson but I'm not a huge fan of extending him for that kind of money after a mediocre season. We'll see if it pays off. 

I'd love to hear an argument about being mediocre this year?

Seriously. We finished 8th in pass defense despite not having an offense to speak of and playing the hardest defensive schedule of the year that featured 9 games against 7 teams who finished with a top-11 passing offense. And another 4 games against passing offenses who finished 13th, 16th, and 17th. 

There have only been 26 other defenses in the league since 1989 to play an offensive schedule equally (+3.6) or tougher than we did this year and still finish with a passing defense of -4.1%. 

Now look at our secondary and ask yourself who is more responsible for that?

• Roquan lost his head at the beginning of the year and was not playing well in coverage until the mid-late season, then got injured.
  • Trevathan was injured and not playing well in coverage (never been his forte).
  • Fuller was below average this season.
  • Prince was garbage.
  • HHCD was solid. Not a reliability but certainly not a playmaker. 
  • Likewise for Skrine.
  • Like 1

As soon as Hicks went down Pagano pulled him down to help vs the run a LOT more it seemed. That definitely hurt his production, it is like putting Kwiatkoski on an athletic TE in man or Floyd in a straight passrush... it's against their strengths. He did get beat deep a few weeks straight which was alarming but he righted the ship and we don't know if there was an adjustment that wasn't relayed correctly or what. 

That being said I feel fine about the extension. His potential is off the charts and if he gets to play deep more, which I'm sure he will, then he will again play at an elite level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

As soon as Hicks went down Pagano pulled him down to help vs the run a LOT more it seemed. That definitely hurt his production, it is like putting Kwiatkoski on an athletic TE in man or Floyd in a straight passrush... it's against their strengths. He did get beat deep a few weeks straight which was alarming but he righted the ship and we don't know if there was an adjustment that wasn't relayed correctly or what. 

That being said I feel fine about the extension. His potential is off the charts and if he gets to play deep more, which I'm sure he will, then he will again play at an elite level. 

I saw some stat before the first Lions game and it said that he was playing in the box 33% of the time last year and something like 58% of the time this year. That's not what Eddie Jackson does best, although unlike years past he showed he can tackle somewhat well.

Sign me the hell up for five more years of Eddie Jackson. He could be one of the top safeties in the NFL for a few years yet, I'm fine with paying him that money. 

Agree with those saying that we need a proper SS to pair him with though, get him back to being that rangey safety in the deep middle. Clinton-Dix was good this season, but lets find a strong safety this off-season. I don't think Bush offers much at all, I'd be all for picking one up in FA.

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Holding a player to standards such as these are too unrealistic. He was a 1st team all-pro in 2018. Expecting him to match that year after year when he has only been in the league for years is not reasonable.

He's now being paid the highest AAV of any safety in the league. The contract he was given set that standard.

My main reservation is that he's had 1 good season and it was under a different DC. This deal could have waited another year to make sure he can still perform at a high level under Pagano. The Bears had almost nothing to lose by waiting.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

That is an incredibly underwhelming solution. Not sure what your affinity is for Deon Bush

He has played well when given a chance, built to play SS which allows Jackson to move back to his spot, he knows the defense, he is cheap.

Can't have a safety making real money next to a guy making 14.6.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

That is an incredibly underwhelming solution. Not sure what your affinity is for Deon Bush

He's played pretty well for us? And you can't have an All-Pro at every position?

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I remember the majority of you jumping up and down when Fuller got paid top-5 CB money with only 1 good year out of 4, but you guys have a problem with paying EJ top-5 money after having 2 consecutive good seasons?! I just don't get it...

A lot of us thought paying Fuller was a mistake. Considering he essentially quit on the team the season before, I still think it was a bad decision. Luckily it paid off. And the people hesitant about paying Jackson agree he had two consecutive good seasons. Last season simply wasn't one of them. Should we now pay Trubisky, too? 

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

And all this "mediocre" talk is nonsense. Some of you need to go back and watch these games.

I remember the bad angles, poor tackling, and mental mistakes just fine, thank you very much. Hopefully he gets back to his old self. As you listed, there were a lot of problems going on last year. 

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:
  • Prince was garbage

But that really wasn't one of them. Huh? He wasn't great, but "garbage"? 

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That's the whole reason that while I believe the contract is a gamble, it doesn't piss me off. (Like the Fuller contract did.) I understand Pace not wanting to potentially lose Jackson, and the reasoning behind starting to pay him now

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He's played pretty well for us? And you can't have an All-Pro at every position?

A lot of us thought paying Fuller was a mistake. Considering he essentially quit on the team the season before, I still think it was a bad decision. Luckily it paid off. And the people hesitant about paying Jackson agree he had two consecutive good seasons. Last season simply wasn't one of them. Should we now pay Trubisky, too? 

I remember the bad angles, poor tackling, and mental mistakes just fine, thank you very much. Hopefully he gets back to his old self. As you listed, there were a lot of problems going on last year. 

But that really wasn't one of them. Huh? He wasn't great, but "garbage"? 

That's the whole reason that while I believe the contract is a gamble, it doesn't piss me off. (Like the Fuller contract did.) I understand Pace not wanting to potentially lose Jackson, and the reasoning behind starting to pay him now

Trubisky had 2 good games last year, but yeah, pay him. Good comparison. 9_9