Dalton

Lambert44

I apologize if anyone mentioned this in another thread that I did not see.

If Ben sees that rehab is not going well and is in question for next year would you mind Dalton on a 3 year contract if it fits our cap?

He is only 32, an athletic guy who has played for some bad Cinci teams and I believe has around a 90.0 passer rating for career.

I think with our defense if we put up 21 to 24 a game we win 11 games and I think he is a qb that can do that. Gives us a couple years to find the next guy.

I do not want to watch this defense get wasted the next couple years.

• Like 1

Even with an average QB like Dalton, Steelers woulda went at least 11-5 this past year...no doubt about it.

So yes, if Ben retires or whatever, go sign Dalton or if you wanna roll the dice...trade for Fitzpatrick from Dolphins.

5 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Even with an average QB like Dalton, Steelers woulda went at least 11-5 this past year...no doubt about it.

So yes, if Ben retires or whatever, go sign Dalton or if you wanna roll the dice...trade for Fitzpatrick from Dolphins.

with fichner, it's a lost cause, simple as that. Might as well find a way to remover fichner before proceeding 

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

We don’t have the money to sign both him and Dupree so....no.

Like it or not all of our eggs are in one basket and that is Ben being able to come back and give us 1-2 more quality seasons. 

and fichner is here as long as ben is.  No need to get your hopes up, just wait a few years , maybe a few more years of not being in the playoffs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

If we cut Foster, Chik, Barron and re-structure a few we will have plenty of room for Dupree

I thought the steelers would already have enough cap space for dupree. Did you mean both dupree and dalton? Why not sign Fitzmagic instead?

7 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I thought the steelers would already have enough cap space for dupree. Did you mean both dupree and dalton? Why not sign Fitzmagic instead?

We don’t really have any space until those guys are cut. I, also, want nothing to do with Ryan Fitzpatrick. I’d rather roll the dice without Dalton. I’d really rather not roll the dice with anyone, honestly. I think Rudolph is a fine backup and JT Barrett, Duck, and Paxton Lynch can compete for the #3 spot. I imagine Rudolph makes a massive jump next year. 

• Like 2

Dalton was never that good in my opinion. He has all the tools, but so many times he just does not make the play -- or worse -- makes a horrible throw.  I think Rudolph should be able to show if he can take that next step or not -- assuming Ben is not ready. If not, then the Steelers need to find a new starter in 2021.

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We don’t really have any space until those guys are cut. I, also, want nothing to do with Ryan Fitzpatrick. I’d rather roll the dice without Dalton. I’d really rather not roll the dice with anyone, honestly. I think Rudolph is a fine backup and JT Barrett, Duck, and Paxton Lynch can compete for the #3 spot. I imagine Rudolph makes a massive jump next year. 

If we are talking backups to Ben, I agree that Rudolph and Duck are fine.

If it turns out Ben cant play next season or retires, I highly doubt they dont try to find a vet to compete.

It wont be Dalton.  Some team will pay him more than we can to compete or be a stop gap.   My prediction is he ends up with the Dolphins or Chargers for about $17m per season for 2 or 3 years.  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 3:52 AM, 3rivers said:

Not a fan of signing Fitzmagic. He is very inconsistent. I think the Steelers do best with an established veteran that can communicate with Ben and win a few games should he go down. Fitz is a carrer back-up and while he has some magic, he also has some duds, I would prefer to bring Landry Jones back as opposed to Fitz. I now I am in the minority here, but just not feeling Fitzmagic in Pittsburgh.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:50 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

The Steelers thought that last year as well. They let Landry go in the first place because of Mason's potential. If you are not developing a future QB, then your back-up should be a guy who can win you some games and keep you competitive. I think Mason does grow, but to what extent? I like Duck's heart and think he grows, but again, to what extent? Paxton has experience and a top draft pick pedigree, so I would be curious what he could do with an off season of preperation to compete. 

Andy Dalton would be a very safe insurance policy should Ben go down or even to rest him a game and win a la how we used to give Landry late season reps the last game after the division was won. I would really love to see Marcus Mariotta in Pittsburgh. He is young and would be too expensive, but he is a player that would win games once he gets comfortale with the offense. He is also mobile (something all of the current QB's lack except Barrett).   I would love to have Dalton, Mariotta or Winston behind Ben and let Mason sit and develop more as originally planned. He was not ready to play as the pre-season showed. Some team is going to offer those guys money. They are young (except Dalton) and are looking to make as much as they can. $$$ is the problem with veteran's.  

Landry took a lot of heat as the Steelers back-up, but I don't think anyone would doubt that he would not have won some games and given the Steelers a better chance to win and the offense more versatility. You have to be prepared for when the defense has a bad game too and you get into a slug-out or shoot-out. Holding teams under 20 points and not turning the ball over, will help you win most games in this league. 

• Like 1