Giving an early 2020 offseason a shot.

MikeT14

On 1/3/2020 at 10:55 PM, Slateman said:

We're not trading Kerrigan.

This! I understand people want to trade Kerrigan and get the Mid round draft pick but it's obvious that it's not going to happen. Not only does Dan Snyder still want him, but there's been no indication from Ron Rivera that he wants to trade Kerrigan either. I'll point out again that during his press conference Rivera spoke about the veteran leadership, needing them and liking the veteran leadership the Redskins have on their team now. As much as I want Kerrigan traded - and others do as well - he’s NOT going anywhere!

Edited by turtle28

On 1/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, MikeT14 said:

Cuts: Norman, Paul Richardson, Jordan Reed, Montae Nicholson, Ryan Anderson

Do not resign: McCoy, Bostic, Penn, Thompson, Davis, DRC, a bunch of others...

Trades: Kerrigan and our 3rd to the Jets for their 2nd and 4th rounder. Johnathan Allen and our 7th rounder to the Cardinals for their 2nd and 5th round selections. 

Cap space from moves: approx $85 million

Extend: Scherff (5 years), Bergstrom (1 year), Flowers (2 years), Keenum (1 year)

Prediction: Trent Williams returns to the team. Alex Smith is NOT cleared. 

Signings: Spencer Ware RB (1 year), Hunter Henry TE (3 years), Shaq Lawson DE (1 year), Wes Horton DE (1 year), Jamie Collins OLB (2 year deal), Mychal Kendricks OLB (2 year deal), James Bradberry CB (4 year deal), Damarious Randall (3 year deal)

Draft:
1 (2) - Chase Young, DE, Ohio State
2 (38) - Bryce Hall, CB, UVA
2 (40) - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota
4 (98) - Zach Baun, OLB, Wisconsin
4 (110) - Matt Bushman, TE, BYU
4 (112) comp pick - JR Reed, S, UGA
5 (130) - Lucas Niang, OT, TCU
5 (135) - Raequon Williams, DT, Michigan State
7 (206) - Logan Wilson, ILB, Wyoming

Roster:

QB: Haskins, Keenum, 
RB: Guice, Peterson, Love, Ware
FB: Burton
WR: McLaurin, Johnson, Harmon, Sims Jr., Sims, Quinn
TE: HenryBushman, Sprinkle, Hentges
OT: Williams, Moses, Niang, Christian
OG: Flowers, Scherff, Bergstrom, Martin
OC: Piersbacher, Roullier

DE: Young, Sweat, Lawson, Horton
DT: Payne, Ioannidis, Settle, Williams
OLB: Jamie Collins, Mychal Kendricks, Baun, Cole Holcomb, Brailford
MLB: Foster, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Wilson
CB: Dunbar, Bradberry, Hall, Moreau, Moreland, Stroman
FS: Randall, Apke
SS: Collins, Reed, Everett

K: Hopkins
P: Way
LS: Sunberg

1. We’re not going to trade Ryan Kerrigan - should we? Yeah, but we aren't going go.

2. No way in hell we trade Jon Allen. He’ll be our starting LDE on run downs and rotate as a DT w/ Ioannidis and Payne on passing downs which will probably be 60% of the game that we are still in nickel or a 4-2-5 look. There's no reason to trade him - he can be our Phillip Daniels - he’ll still play 3/4 of the snaps on D and he’s the vocal leader of our D.

3. There is no reason to cut Ryan Anderson or Montae Nicholson on a rookie contract - they will NOT be cut - at least not in March. Again, Rivera just played us 6 weeks ago, Anderson had a good game that game and showed potential, I see no reason why he would cut Anderson. On top of that, they’re cheap. They, like the other young players will have an audition this offseaon for Rivera. If they come into the offseason and have good offseaons they’ll make the team, but if not they could be cut during final cuts. 

4. There’s no reason to not re-sign Bostic and Thompson if they don’t cost too much - and they shouldn’t. Again, they should be brought back to compete for roster spots against the young players. Rivera liked what he’s seen out of these guys, I'll be shocked if they're not re-signed unless Thompson leaves for a deal that pays him a lot more, which I don't see either.

5. Even if Thompson isn't re-signed, I see no need to sign Spencer Ware bc of the other RBs we have returning. Signing a FA running back to be probably your #4 RB doesn't make much sense to me. Instead of that, I'd keep Smallwood, Ferguson or just keep a 4th undrafted free agent RB on the practice squad.

6. I don't want Henry bc of his injury history, but I could live with a one-year prove it deal. 

7. Shaq Lawson is going to go somewhere and be a starter. I don't see any reason he sign in DC unless he got no offers to start, with I can't imagine.

Other than those few things, I like what you did in the rest of free agent and in the draft. Overall it's a very nice job.

Edited by turtle28

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

3. There is no reason to cut Ryan Anderson or Montae Nicholson on a rookie contract - they will NOT be cut - at least not in March. Again, Rivera just played us 6 weeks ago, Anderson had a good game that game and showed potential, I see no reason why he would cut Anderson. On top of that, they’re cheap. They, like the other young players will have an audition this offseaon for Rivera. If they come into the offseason and have good offseaons they’ll make the team, but if not they could be cut during final cuts. 

I have a roster of about 50 something so that’s exactly what I am predicting. 

19 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I have a roster of about 50 something so that’s exactly what I am predicting. 

Ok, well possibly, but I still think Anderson will be a back up SLB/DE and, he may even be a starter depending on the health of Foster and who we bring in during FA or draft. Of course, you do have us signing Jamie Collins to play SLB, which may happen and if it does, that possibly makes Anderson one of final cuts in September.

Being that Rivera is a LB at heart and he loves LBs who play like Ryan Anderson who are strong, physical at the line of scrimmage and can make plays around the line of scrimmage, I think Anderson will at least be a reserve.

Rivera will give up some bad coverage for when offenses throw on run downs for a LB like Anderson who is an animal in the run game and makes plays around the line of scrimmage.

On passing downs - 2nd & 3rd and long - Anderson would come off the field for a slot corner.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

Maybe Anderson will play better in a 4-3, but I would bet against him making the roster (shocking, I know).

What in Anderson’s game do you think that Rivera won't like? I think Rivera will love Anderson’s toughness, leadership and his ability to play the run as a SLB.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

1. We’re not going to trade Ryan Kerrigan - should we? Yeah, but we aren't going go.

2. No way in hell we trade Jon Allen. He’ll be our starting LDE on run downs and rotate as a DT w/ Ioannidis and Payne on passing downs which will probably be 60% of the game that we are still in nickel or a 4-2-5 look. There's no.reason to cut him, he’ll still play 3/4 of the snaps on D and he’s the vocal leader of our D.

4. There’s no reason to not re-sign Bostic and Thompson if they don’t cost too much - and they shouldn’t. Again, they should be brought back to compete for roster spots against the young players. Rivera liked what he’s seen out of these guys, I'll be shocked if they're not re-signed unless Thompson leaves for a deal that pays him a lot more, which I don't see either.

5. Even if Thompson isn't re-signed, I see no need to sign Spencer Ware bc of the other RBs we have returning. Signing a FA running back to be probably your #4 RB doesn't make much sense to me. Instead of that, I'd keep Smallwood or just keep a 4th undrafted free agent RB on the practice squad.

6. I don't want Henry bc of his injury history, but I could live with a one-year prove it deal. 

7. Shaq Lawson is going to go somewhere and be a starter. I don't see any reason he sign in DC unless he got no offers to start, with I can't imagine.

Other than those few things, I like what you did in the rest of free agent and in the draft. Overall it's a very nice job.

The issue with Thompson is the same as Nicholson and Anderson you mentioned above as far as cap space goes- it will be much easier to find a replacement in the draft, and on a rookie contract.  Thompson is close to 30, often injured and we know who he is at this point.  I would rather give the touches to someone else, preferably a mid-round pick of someone who maybe got the short end of a timeshare in college, or at a small overlooked school.  I do agree about replacing Thompson with another free agent, it doesn't make sense, but replacing him in the draft does.  

41 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The issue with Thompson is the same as Nicholson and Anderson you mentioned above as far as cap space goes- it will be much easier to find a replacement in the draft, and on a rookie contract.  Thompson is close to 30, often injured and we know who he is at this point.  I would rather give the touches to someone else, preferably a mid-round pick of someone who maybe got the short end of a timeshare in college, or at a small overlooked school.  I do agree about replacing Thompson with another free agent, it doesn't make sense, but replacing him in the draft does.  

Personally, I don't want to draft a RB in the mid rounds - we drafted Guice & Love in the last two drafts - I wouldn't mind taking a RB in the 6th or 7th or retaining Smallwood or Ferguson on a vet min contract instead of CT but the fact that we don't have a 2nd round pick makes me not want to take a RB w/ our 3rd or 4th around pick. 

I’d much rather sign Thompson bc we know he's a good receiving back - one of the best in the league - and we have the cap space to afford like $4 million a year for the next 2 or 3 years.

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Where'd that come from?

He’s always been a leader. It’s like you know nothing about him. He was a leader at Alabama, he’s a type of guy who is a leader and brings toughness, accountability and fixes the culture through hard work, he did that at Alabama. Rivera is going to love Anderson. I’m not sure if Anderson starts but I think he’ll be on the team. He can play SLB and DE.

I’ve been clear that I think Anderson was overdrafted by a round or even two but, that draft is over, we can’t change where he was drafted. I think Rivera & Del Rio will find a spot for him on this defense. At best he’s probably one of the last 5 to make the team IMO. I think he’ll make the team but I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t. 

Edited by turtle28

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s always been a leader. It’s like you know nothing about him. He was a leader at Alabama, he’s a type of guy who is a leader and brings toughness, accountability and fixes the culture through hard work, he did that at Alabama. Rivera is going to love Anderson. I’m not sure if Anderson starts but I think he’ll be on the team. He can play SLB and DE.

I’ve been clear that I think Anderson was overdrafted by a round or even two but, that draft is over, we can’t change where he was drafted. I think Rivera & Del Rio will find a spot for him on this defense. At best he’s probably one of the last 5 to make the team IMO. I think he’ll make the team but I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t. 

Don't tell me that bull****. I know as much as you do. Take your high horse somewhere else. 

In college, yes. Not in the pros yet. I don't ever read or see those stories from the pros about him.

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Don't tell me that bull****. I know as much as you do. Take your high horse somewhere else. 

In college, yes. Not in the pros yet. I don't ever read or see those stories from the pros about him.

He’s the same person. People like Ryan Anderson are born natural leaders. It’s not something that you lose. If you are a vocal stern leader and a try hard/tough football player and have been that your entire life, you don’t just lose that bc you become a pro athlete.

You can think whatever you want about him, but I’m almost 100% sure I know what kind of person and player he is and for a defensive minded HC and a veteran defensive coordinator - who were both similar types of players in the 80s and 90s - I think they’re going to love him and appreciate him.

Again, no guarantee he makes the team as the back up SLB & a reserve DE and I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t make it, but I think they’ll find a spot for him.

If Sammy Watkins isn’t kept for the final year of the 3rd year of his contract - he has  a buy out after this year - would consider signing him to a deal like we gave to PRich in 2018?

Let me remind people that on the surface, PRich’s deal is worth $40 million over five years. $12.5 million is fully guaranteed at signing, with a $10 million signing bonus, his $1.5 million 2018 salary, and $1 million of his $5 million 2019 salary.

Just like with Richardson, if this is the contract Watkins gets it’s pretty team friendly because of the out after two years. More money will become guaranteed to Watkins if he is on the roster as of five days after the start of the league years in 2019 and 2020. The remaining $4 million of his 2019 salary and $3.5 million of his $6 million 2020 salary become guaranteed then.

If we keep Richardson - and we shouldn’t - he will get salaries of $7.5 million in 2021 and 2022. Each year of the contract he can earn $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses ($31,250 for each game he is on the 46-man game day roster).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/paul-richardsons-redskins-contract-team-friendly-early%3famp

It all adds up to the following salary cap numbers:

2018: $4 million
2019: $7.5 million
2020: $8.5 million
2021: $10 million
2022: $10 million

The average annual value of the contract is $8 million, which is tied for 24th among NFL receivers.

The first window the Redskins have to terminate Richardson’s contract without taking a negative cap hit would be in 2020 as long as they do it prior to the fifth day of the league year when the partial salary guarantee kicks in. They would take a $6 million deal cap hit but they would save a net of $2.5 million.

So, if Watkins is cut in Kansas City, should we sign him to the type of deal we signed PRich to to be our #2 WR for the next few years while Harmon, Cam Sims etc develop, or would you rather draft another WR in the mid to late rounds to develop, sign a cheaper vet or just roll with the young WRs we have?

Edited by turtle28