MikeT14

Giving an early 2020 offseason a shot.

19 hours ago, Geno said:

Why trade Jonathan Allen why move sweat to  end he need to stay at outside linebacker keep Allen at defensive end Allen is the best

Yeah, trading Allen is stupid and won’t be done anyways. I don’t see any reason why Jon Allen can’t make the switch to 4-3 LDE like Arik Armstead has for the 49ers the last 3 years and still get 5 plus sacks a year. Allen can overpower RTs, bull rush them and use his elite hand fighting and rip move to get pressure going to the inside against RTs, he’ll also set an amazing edge in the run game. On passing downs, Allen can rotate inside w/ he Ioannidis and Payne rotating on pass downs when we are in the nickel which will be 60-70% of the game.

Also, Sweat isn’t a fit as a 4-3 OLB. He doesn’t have the hips or change of direction to cover, he’d  be awful as a 4-3 OLB. He and Kerrigan are better as 4-3 DE’s. Also, I would still move Collins to WLB and sign/draft one or two new safeties or have Everrett play SS and try Apke at FS instead of just rolling with Nichokson again at FS. I would go w/ this as our base 4-3 w/ our current roster:

RDE: Sweat

UT: Ioannidis

NT: Payne/Settle

LDE: Allen

SLB: Foster, Anderson

MLB: Holcomb, SDH

WLB: Collins, JHC

Nickel:

RDE: Sweat

UT: Allen/Ioannidis 

NT: Payne/Settle

LDE: Kerrigan

MLB: Foster or Holcolmb

WILB: Collins or SDH

Edited by turtle28

I am not trading Jon Allen. I can trade Trent and Kerrigan but Allen is young and productive and a team leader. Just can't sling him out the door for no reason. 

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

I am not trading Jon Allen. I can trade Trent and Kerrigan but Allen is young and productive and a team leader. Just can't sling him out the door for no reason. 

It’s not “no reason”. It’s that I thought we had one extra valuable DT. I’d be fine with moving on the Greek. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It’s not “no reason”. It’s that I thought we had one extra valuable DT. I’d be fine with moving on the Greek. 

Cutting Ioannidis and moving on from our best interior pass rusher doesn't make much sense either - there is room for Allen, Ioannidis and Payne in a 4-3 D. Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with having Allen play 20 snaps a game as a Phillip Daniels type 4-3LDE and 40 snaps at 4-3 UT.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Cutting Ioannidis and moving on from our best interior pass rusher doesn't make much sense either - there is room for Allen, Ioannidis and Payne in a 4-3 D. Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with having Allen play 20 snaps a game as a Phillip Daniels type 4-3LDE and 40 snaps at 4-3 UT.

Yeah, I don't think having too many quality DL is a bad thing. I mean we're gonna need to keep the DL fresh and subbing in the Greek is a great move. Also, we can push Allen to end and put Ioannidas at UT on certain situations. Not to mention if either Payne or Allen get injured. Then having Ioannidas on the team is a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, I don't think having too many quality DL is a bad thing. I mean we're gonna need to keep the DL fresh and subbing in the Greek is a great move. Also, we can push Allen to end and put Ioannidas at UT on certain situations. Not to mention if either Payne or Allen get injured. Then having Ioannidas on the team is a good thing. 

Well my thought is to have Allen start at LDE and play run down, mostly just first downs there and short yardage. Payne starts next to him at NT, then Ioannidis at UT next to him and Sweat or Young start at RDE with the other rotating with them and with Kerrigan as they sub in on passing downs to 4-3 LDE while Allen on passing downs rotates with Ioannidis and Payne at DT on passing downs. We're still going to be in a nickel look 60% or more of the game/passing downs I think depending on who we play each week bc most teams go with a 3 WR set about 60% of the game or more.

The one example I can give is Seattle from their Superbowl runs. The consistently had rotating defensive lineman and that would be nightmares for the offensive line cause they would get tired and the defense would have fresh legs. 

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm not cutting him. I am trading him. 

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I also am still high on Settle. I think he's played well  enough in his limited time. 

4 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Did you consider trading up for the #1 pick?

I considered trading down to the #7 to then trade back up to #1, but it wasn't working. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:48 AM, MikeT14 said:

I'm not cutting him. I am trading him. 

Oh ok, I wouldn’t do that either. I don’t see why we’d want to make one of the few strengths of our team weaker. I’d be a great luxury to have 3 good to great interior DL w/ Allen playing 20 snaps on run downs as a 4-3 LDE like how we played Daniels and Wynn there last decade.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I considered trading down to the #7 to then trade back up to #1, but it wasn't working. 

How about trading out of the first round completely bc we don’t need top end talent? We  just bodies bc the more bodies you have through the draft the more likely we’ll hit on one? I mean who wants the best prospect in the Draft anyways! Haha 🤣 

I’ll try it  

Not familiar with how all the contracts will work out, hopefully it fits my post  

Cut/Retire  Jordan Reed

Cut  Paul Richardson

Cut  Josh Norman

Cut Morgan Moses

Resign Ereck Flowers

Franchise Tag Brandon Scherff

Trent Williams returning

Free Agent Signings

Cory Littleton LB

Jack Conklin RT

Tre Boston FS

Wendell Smallwood RB

Draft

1st round  

Chase Young/ Edge

3rd round  

Adam Trautman/Brycen Hopkins/ TE

4th round  

Chase Claypool/ WR

Shaquille Quarterman/ LB

5th round

Jon Runyan Jr/ OG

7th round

BPA

On 1/30/2020 at 12:23 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’ll try it  

Not familiar with how all the contracts will work out, hopefully it fits my post  

Cut/Retire  Jordan Reed

Cut  Paul Richardson

Cut  Josh Norman

Cut Morgan Moses

Resign Ereck Flowers

Franchise Tag Brandon Scherff

Trent Williams returning

Free Agent Signings

Cory Littleton LB

Jack Conklin RT

Tre Boston FS

Wendell Smallwood RB

Draft

1st round  

Chase Young/ Edge

3rd round  

Adam Trautman/Brycen Hopkins/ TE

4th round  

Chase Claypool/ WR

Shaquille Quarterman/ LB

5th round

Jon Runyan Jr/ OG

7th round

BPA

I doubt they cut Moses but if we could cut Moses and pick up Jack Conklin would be amazing! That would be a huge upgrade at RT. I haven't even thought about that, that's an amazing idea!

Also, if we’re cutting Norman, we should sign a FA CB, and we should be signing two CBs IMO bc we’ll need a slot CB upgrade. I think Bradberry is an option from Carolina, and if love to see Kyle Smith convince Rivera that re-signing Kendall Fuller to be our slot corner is a good investment.