Giving an early 2020 offseason a shot.

MikeT14

On 1/12/2020 at 4:37 PM, turtle28 said:

If Sammy Watkins isn’t kept for the final year of the 3rd year of his contract - he has  a buy out after this year - would consider signing him to a deal like we gave to PRich in 2018?

Let me remind people that on the surface, PRich’s deal is worth $40 million over five years. $12.5 million is fully guaranteed at signing, with a $10 million signing bonus, his $1.5 million 2018 salary, and $1 million of his $5 million 2019 salary.

Just like with Richardson, if this is the contract Watkins gets it’s pretty team friendly because of the out after two years. More money will become guaranteed to Watkins if he is on the roster as of five days after the start of the league years in 2019 and 2020. The remaining $4 million of his 2019 salary and $3.5 million of his $6 million 2020 salary become guaranteed then.

If we keep Richardson - and we shouldn’t - he will get salaries of $7.5 million in 2021 and 2022. Each year of the contract he can earn $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses ($31,250 for each game he is on the 46-man game day roster).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/paul-richardsons-redskins-contract-team-friendly-early%3famp

So, if Watkins is cut in Kansas City, should we sign him to the type of deal we signed PRich to to be our #2 WR for the next few years while Harmon, Cam Sims etc develop, or would you rather draft another WR in the mid to late rounds to develop, sign a cheaper vet or just roll with the young WRs we have?

Not with him talking about possibly sitting out next year if the Cheifs win. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Not with him talking about possibly sitting out next year if the Cheifs win. 

True, but I think it’d be hard for him to turn down tens of millions of $. Eric Berry took this year off and said he wants to play next year but that's a different case, Berry has dealt with so many injuries and I also think teams weren't offering him much of a new contract so he sat out. Sammy was relatively healthy this year.

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True, but I think it’d be hard for him to turn down tens of millions of $. Eric Berry took this year off and said he wants to play next year but that's a different case, Berry has dealt with so many injuries and I also think teams weren't offering him much of a new contract so he sat out. Sammy was relatively healthy this year.

Watkins comments make me concerned about his commitment to the game if they were to Win the SuperBowl. I wouldn't want to sign him long term if he's currently thinking about taking time off. 

8 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Watkins comments make me concerned about his commitment to the game if they were to Win the SuperBowl. I wouldn't want to sign him long term if he's currently thinking about taking time off. 

True and truthfully I’d rather watch our young guys with a young TE added to the group anyways.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

True and truthfully I’d rather watch our young guys with a young TE added to the group anyways.

A good TE would be nice. That's has to be up there with Guards, FS, CB, and Tackles as areas to address this offseason. I still wouldn't mind another young WR or Vet to come in and join the group here as well. 

5 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

A good TE would be nice. That's has to be up there with Guards, FS, CB, and Tackles as areas to address this offseason. I still wouldn't mind another young WR or Vet to come in and join the group here as well. 

A good TE is extremely important to a passing game, especially for a young QB. Look at what Kelce’s done for Mahomes. Kittle for Garapolo and Reed for Cousins. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

A good TE is extremely important to a passing game, especially for a young QB. Look at what Kelce’s done for Mahomes. Kittle for Garapolo and Reed for Cousins. 

Correct. Exactly why I would be fine with Olsen on a 1 year 5-7 million guarnteed type deal if he where to play at least 12 games.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Does that even put him in the Top 10 or 15?

It’d put Olsen in the top 10:

1. Packers TE Jimmy Graham: $10 million

2. Chiefs TE Travis Kelce: $9.4 million

3. Redskins TE Jordan Reed: $9.4 million

4. Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph: $9 million

5. Panthers TE Greg Olsen: $8.6 million

6. Eagles TE Zach Ertz: $8.5 million

7. Titans TE Delanie Walker: $8.5 million

8. Bears TE Trey Burton: $8 million

9. Saints TE Jared Cook: $7.5 million

10. Buccaneers TE Cameron Brate: $6.8 million

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’d put Olsen in the top 10:

1. Packers TE Jimmy Graham: $10 million

2. Chiefs TE Travis Kelce: $9.4 million

3. Redskins TE Jordan Reed: $9.4 million

4. Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph: $9 million

5. Panthers TE Greg Olsen: $8.6 million

6. Eagles TE Zach Ertz: $8.5 million

7. Titans TE Delanie Walker: $8.5 million

8. Bears TE Trey Burton: $8 million

9. Saints TE Jared Cook: $7.5 million

10. Buccaneers TE Cameron Brate: $6.8 million

I think that's old. OTC would have it around 13 assuming we went with the $7 number. $5 would be Vernon Davis area at around 20. 

On 1/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, MikeT14 said:

Cuts: Norman, Paul Richardson, Jordan Reed, Montae Nicholson, Ryan Anderson

Do not resign: McCoy, Bostic, Penn, Thompson, Davis, DRC, a bunch of others...

Trades: Kerrigan and our 3rd to the Jets for their 2nd and 4th rounder. Johnathan Allen and our 7th rounder to the Cardinals for their 2nd and 5th round selections. 

Cap space from moves: approx $85 million

Extend: Scherff (5 years), Bergstrom (1 year), Flowers (2 years), Keenum (1 year)

Prediction: Trent Williams returns to the team. Alex Smith is NOT cleared. 

Signings: Spencer Ware RB (1 year), Hunter Henry TE (3 years), Shaq Lawson DE (1 year), Wes Horton DE (1 year), Jamie Collins OLB (2 year deal), Mychal Kendricks OLB (2 year deal), James Bradberry CB (4 year deal), Damarious Randall (3 year deal)

Draft:
1 (2) - Chase Young, DE, Ohio State
2 (38) - Bryce Hall, CB, UVA
2 (40) - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota
4 (98) - Zach Baun, OLB, Wisconsin
4 (110) - Matt Bushman, TE, BYU
4 (112) comp pick - JR Reed, S, UGA
5 (130) - Lucas Niang, OT, TCU
5 (135) - Raequon Williams, DT, Michigan State
7 (206) - Logan Wilson, ILB, Wyoming

Roster:

QB: Haskins, Keenum, 
RB: Guice, Peterson, Love, Ware
FB: Burton
WR: McLaurin, Johnson, Harmon, Sims Jr., Sims, Quinn
TE: HenryBushman, Sprinkle, Hentges
OT: Williams, Moses, Niang, Christian
OG: Flowers, Scherff, Bergstrom, Martin
OC: Piersbacher, Roullier

DE: Young, Sweat, Lawson, Horton
DT: Payne, Ioannidis, Settle, Williams
OLB: Jamie Collins, Mychal Kendricks, Baun, Cole Holcomb, Brailford
MLB: Foster, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Wilson
CB: Dunbar, Bradberry, Hall, Moreau, Moreland, Stroman
FS: Randall, Apke
SS: Collins, Reed, Everett

K: Hopkins
P: Way
LS: Sunberg

add running back Melvin Gordon to this list considering our current running back age and injury history and keep Jonathan Allen if quarterback improve we could have a real good team every challenge for the division

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think that's old. OTC would have it around 13 assuming we went with the $7 number. $5 would be Vernon Davis area at around 20. 

Oh ok. If he was given a 1-year deal for $8 or 9 million I wouldn't have a problem with it. Sure it's a bit of a gamble given his age but it's only a 1-year deal. He was 12th in yards per game last year.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Oh ok. If he was given a 1-year deal for $8 or 9 million I wouldn't have a problem with it. Sure it's a bit of a gamble given his age but it's only a 1-year deal. He was 12th in yards per game last year.

I guess I should say I am not against getting Olsen, I just think 5-7 is unreasonable as an expectation. Maybe I am wrong. 8-9 would be closer.

9 minutes ago, Geno said:

add running back Melvin Gordon to this list considering our current running back age and injury history and keep Jonathan Allen if quarterback improve we could have a real good team every challenge for the division

We don’t have a roster spot for Melvin Gordon unless we aren’t keeping Peterson. We will carry a FB next year, and, we already have 3 RBs under contract. The only way we add a RB like Gordon is if we’d cut Peterson which I think is a mistake - not only be he’s going to be 3 to 5 times the cost of Peterson but, it will send a bad message to the locker-room. The young Redskins players look up to Peterson as their leader on offense.