New Year's Mock

Joe

A new year and a new you!

Ok enough of that sentimental crap. 

FA:

Returning: Bryan Bulaga, 3 years, $33 million; Blake Martinez, 4 years, $40 million; Mason Crosby, 3 years, $9 million; Marcedes Lewis, 1 year, vet minimum; BJ Goodson, 1 year, vet minimum; all ERFA's. Corey Linsley restructures his deal to create cap room

New to the team: Jatavis Brown, 3 years, $10 million

Cuts: Jimmy Graham, Lane Taylor, Dean Lowry

Anaylsis: If we let Martinez walk, who replaces him and mainly his experience in this defense? Hate to be the bearer of bad news to several of you, but he's coming back whether we like it or not. If that's not a good reason why, consider who is behind him on the depth chart. We let him walk and there's an even bigger hole at ILB than there already is. Brown gives us the type of player we were hoping Burks would be. Curtis Bolton and Ty Summers should improve with a bit more experience and one of those two will probably emerge as a 2nd string player to back up Brown. There are a lot of good IDL out there, but I can't see how any of them wind up here as many of the bigger names are just past their primes and/or will re-sign with whichever team they may currently play. Cutting Dean Lowry undo's a bad signing from the get-go. He has no sacks this year, he can't beat double teams, and his contribution has plateaued.

As for the offensive side of the ball, Bulaga is resigned after basically a contract year almost out of necessity. Veldheer played pretty well for him after he got hurt in Detroit so I suspect he'll be back on a one year deal. Jenkins has completely supplanted Taylor, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were back given that he has just one year left on his deal. Still, he's dead weight given that Lucas Patrick has really come on as a swing IOL and that our depth issues are really at Tackle despite Turner being a bit of a disappointment. Jimmy Graham has been fairly reliable as a safety net for Rodgers, but he's clearly a shell of his former self and not worth the money. Given MLF's reluctance to use a TE in his offense, TE may not be as big of need as we think; especially if Sternberger improves in Year 2. Lewis and Goodson are insurance.

The Draft:

Round 1(25): Jedrick Wills, Jr., OT, Alabama

Image result for jedrick wills jr scouting report

Scouting Report:https://nfldraftlounge.com/2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report-alabama-ot-jedrick-wills-jr/

Wills has played primarily RT, but can play LT if needed. Coming from 'Bama, he should be able to work some kinks out in his pass-pro and step in for Bulaga when necessary.

Round 2(57): Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

Image result for Jalen Reagor

Reagor's elite speed can replace MVS as our vertical threat down field. While he's a bit more compact than one would like, he's not afraid to be physical and his flexibility allows MLF to use him in a similar role to what he had with Dion Lewis in Tennessee.

Round 3(89): James Lynch, IDL/EDGE, Baylor:

Image result for James Lynch scouting report

Lynch is an explosive DE that has the ability to kick out to EDGE, but the strength and size to play 3-tech. 

Round 4: Evan Weaver, ILB, Cal:

Image result for evan weaver scouting report

Weaver originally came to Cal as a DE, but was moved to ILB given his instincts and athleticism. Weaver shoots gaps like a missile and once he locates where the ball is headed he flashes straight to the ball carrier. May go sooner in the draft.

***Trade up***: We send our 5th and two of our 7th round picks for an early 5th and an early 7th

Round 5: Davon Hamilton, IDL, OSU:

Image result for davon hamilton scouting report

Hamilton is a player on the rise excelling in managing double teams while collapsing the pocket. May go earlier in the draft.

Round 6: KJ Hill, WR, OSU:

Image result for KJ Hill

Hill gives us another speed option at WR and doesn't quit on the play. Hill has been productive when the pocket has collapsed for his QB and he has to create ways to get open. Not afraid to go over the middle or make tough, contested catches.

Round 7a: Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton:

Related image

Small school prospect with huge upside, starting with his 6'6" 253 lb. frame.

Round 7b: JR Reed, S, Georgia:

Related image

Reed is stout in the run and physical in coverage. Solid back-up and ST's potential.

Notable UDFA's: Shea Patterson, QB, Michigan; Luke Farrell, TE, OSU; Greg Eisworth, DB, Iowa St.; Chris Williamson, CB, Minnesota; Charleston Rambo, WR, Oklahoma; Chase Claypool, WR, ND; Scott Frantz, OL, K-State; Jon Runyan, OL, Michigan; Bravvion Roy, NT, Baylor; Patrick Queen, ILB, LSU; Christian Rector, EDGE, USC 

Fire away!

If we are gonna pay a ILB I'd rather pay someone like Cory Littleton even if it costs a bit more. You have 700.000 saving by cutting Lowry, which is basically UDFA money. I'd love to have Bulaga at that price, by I don't know if it will be possible.

Regarding the draft, we are probably picking 28-32, Jedrick Wills might be a top 10 pick unless something wierd happens at the combine. I like Reagor though I'm not sure if he's gonna be available with the 60th pick or so. Still, might be possible.

Edit: Are we rolling with Jace as our TE1? Tonyan?

Edited by VonKarman

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That's it for FA? That'd be a major letdown to me. 

Makes no sense at all. If we cut Graham and Taylor, we will have about $47m in cap space. So even if we say year 1 salaries are $11M for Bulaga, $10M for Martinez, $3M for Crosby, and $3M for Jatavis Brown, we still have $20M in cap space left. Then piddly vet min contracts and put some aside for the rookies appx $7M and we're still at $10M+. 

Then we cut Lowry..... and Linsley will be in his last year of his contract in 2020, so he can't restructure. You would need to extend him. Then maybe you could convert his $7m salary into a signing bonus, but then that's only like $2m savings a year. I'm not even sure if you can do that after the extension. 

Plus we cut Lowry, where IDL is one of our weakest groups, and replace him with only a 3rd rounder?

Edited by JBURGE

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Makes no sense at all. If we cut Graham and Taylor, we will have about $47m in cap space. So even if we say year 1 salaries are $11M for Bulaga, $10M for Martinez, $3M for Crosby, and $3M for Jatavis Brown, we still have $20M in cap space left. Then piddly vet min contracts and put some aside for the rookies appx $7M and we're still at $10M+. 

Absolutely agree with this.  

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Then we cut Lowry..... and Linsley will be in his last year of his contract in 2020, so he can't restructure. You would need to extend him. Then maybe you could convert his $7m salary into a signing bonus, but then that's only like $2m savings a year. I'm not even sure if you can do that after the extension. 

Plus we cut Lowry, where IDL is one of our weakest groups, and replace him with only a 3rd rounder?

Cutting Lowry and leaving the DL with Clark, Adams, Keke, Lancaster and 3rd round pick and 5th round pick?

• Like 1

With the amount of needs we have, I still struggle with the thought of resigning Bulaga and drafting an OT in the first round. Bulaga has actually been relatively healthy the last few years and presuming we resign Bahk, we are basically drafting a guy to be a backup for the next 3 years. He may get a few starts here and there or kick in to guard at times but I think if we bring Bulaga back our 1st round pick would be better used elsewhere. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JBURGE said:

If we cut both Graham & Taylor we have 50.36M in cap scape. Your point still stands, makes no sense at all.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Edited by VonKarman

Why would you cut Lowry?  They just extended him this year.  I know he's no world beater but there's a whole lot worse out there than him.  Would much rather cut Adams since he's been completely useless every single year, although he'll probably ball out next year so he gets a nice payday from someone before disappearing forever.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Why would you cut Lowry?  They just extended him this year.  I know he's no works beater but there's a whole worse out there than him.  Would much rather cut Adams since he's been completely useless every single year, although he'll probably ball out next year so he gets a nice payday from someone before disappearing forever.

Adams is getting cut anyway. I should've been a bit more clear there. Lowry wouldn't make it out of camp with this draft.

12 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

With the amount of needs we have, I still struggle with the thought of resigning Bulaga and drafting an OT in the first round. Bulaga has actually been relatively healthy the last few years and presuming we resign Bahk, we are basically drafting a guy to be a backup for the next 3 years. He may get a few starts here and there or kick in to guard at times but I think if we bring Bulaga back our 1st round pick would be better used elsewhere. 

Billy Turner has been a disappointment at RG and we've debated whether or not we'd sign Bulaga. Signing Bulaga provides at least some sort of insurance while Wills would adjust to the pro level so when we would have to cut Bulaga or if Bulaga retired, we'd be set with Wills.

20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That's it for FA? That'd be a major letdown to me. 

I don't claim to be a salary cap whiz at all, but there's no way Arik Armstead, Jordan Phillips, or any of these guys are leaving their current team. That's why I double-dipped at the position in the draft.

41 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don't claim to be a salary cap whiz at all, but there's no way Arik Armstead, Jordan Phillips, or any of these guys are leaving their current team. That's why I double-dipped at the position in the draft.

Armstead might be hard for SF to re-sign.

Buffalo has enough cap space for Phillips to be re-signed.

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Armstead might be hard for SF to re-sign.

Buffalo has enough cap space for Phillips to be re-signed.

Plus they have to sign those contracts, it's not like these are ERFAs. I'd be very disappointed in this off-season. We add some WRs, but that's about it. I don't think anyone you draft is anywhere close to being better than a 4 year vet in Lowry. With Bulaga under contract, I don't see a need for a 1st round OT to warm the bench. We're going to carryover 20+ million into the following year which is way too much for a contending team.

• Like 1