New Year's Mock

Joe

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Plus they have to sign those contracts, it's not like these are ERFAs. I'd be very disappointed in this off-season. We add some WRs, but that's about it. I don't think anyone you draft is anywhere close to being better than a 4 year vet in Lowry. With Bulaga under contract, I don't see a need for a 1st round OT to warm the bench. We're going to carryover 20+ million into the following year which is way too much for a contending team.

We're going to have to agree to disagree and no way SF breaks up that DL. I championed the extension when it happened, but Lowry's laid a giant turd. I think we can all agree that Adams is going to get cut, so with Adams gone, that leaves you with Clark, Keke, Lowry, and Lancaster. Are you really comfortable with that? Neither am I.

Edited by Joe

9 hours ago, Joe said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree and no way SF breaks up that DL. I championed the extension when it happened, but Lowry's laid a giant turd. I think we can all agree that Adams is going to get cut, so with Adams gone, that leaves you with Clark, Keke, Lowry, and Lancaster. Are you really comfortable with that? Neither am I.

I don't think there's any way Lowry gets cut, but I do agree that another stud IDL is sorely needed.  I think Rashan Gary could be that, but the coaching staff insists on shoehorning him into the EDGE position.  Even if they did put Gary there you can never have too many good defensive linemen, so they should definitely find another one (or two) if they can.

Once again, you save 700.000 by cutting Lowry this year. Unless you think you can get a better DL for that kind of money it makes no sense. You can't just cut the guys you don't like. Financially speaking, it only makes sense to cut Linsley, Taylor and Graham (and perhaps Adams since he doesn't play at all). Unless there is some disciplinary issue no one else is going to get cut.

15 hours ago, Joe said:

Lowry hasn’t been a turd. He’s a borderline starter/high rotation level dl. He’s  only making 2% of the cap which is market for a player his caliber. I don’t think anyone is opposed to adding more talent to the dl group but cutting a decent player who making market and who wouldn’t offer cap savings is straight dumb.

6 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I don't think there's any way Lowry gets cut, but I do agree that another stud IDL is sorely needed.  I think Rashan Gary could be that, but the coaching staff insists on shoehorning him into the EDGE position.  Even if they did put Gary there you can never have too many good defensive linemen, so they should definitely find another one (or two) if they can.

co-signed. If he ran a 4.7 40 time, I'm betting he would've been asked to put on 10-15 lb.s and move inside.

57 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Lowry hasn’t been a turd. He’s a borderline starter/high rotation level dl. He’s  only making 2% of the cap which is market for a player his caliber. I don’t think anyone is opposed to adding more talent to the dl group but cutting a decent player who making market and who wouldn’t offer cap savings is straight dumb.

Again, I'm not a salary cap whiz here...the guy is a JAG and we need a legit starter there, not a JAG...

Edited by Joe

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Again, I'm not a salary cap whiz here...the guy is a JAG and we need a legit starter there, not a JAG...

Nobody is against improving there.  With limited resources for the roster, Lowry isn’t terrible. You can’t have studs everywhere. Every good teams have net neutral JAGs starting in a few spots. 

3 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I bet he could get to 295-300 without losing any athleticism and be an absolute monster inside.  I think he'd be a much better player inside than on the edge.

again, co-signed lol. He may not have polished pass rush moves, but he certainly has the physical strength for it and he's proven he can win 1-on-1's straight up with a tackle. I hope Pettine gets as creative with him as we were hoping he would be soon...

On 1/5/2020 at 5:01 AM, persiandud said:

Dean Lowry sucks. I'd cut him and double dip at DL with FA and the draft 

You save 700k by releasing him after the season.  And it's even less when you factor in a replacement-level player.  So realistically, you're looking at saving roughly 250k.  They're not cutting Dean Lowry.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 9:13 PM, CWood21 said:

You save 700k by releasing him after the season.  And it's even less when you factor in a replacement-level player.  So realistically, you're looking at saving roughly 250k.  They're not cutting Dean Lowry.

He still sucks doe

(he doesn't suck, I just didn't want that new contract)

Edited by Norm