2019 Panthers Off-Season Thread

Zithers2

I feel the Panthers should have gotten rid of Rivera in the middle of the 2016 season when it became apparent that the Panthers would once again not clinch consecutive winning seasons. It would have been the quickest turnaround from Super Bowl appearance to firing in NFL history.

I feel if that had happened, the Panthers might have had consecutive winning seasons by now. I mean, the two teams that started after the Panthers, the Ravens and Texans, already have had consecutive winning seasons (the former even won two Super Bowls, only because they were allowed to keep their 1998 personnel into 1999 and beyond and build from there instead of going through the expansion draft like the Browns had to, while the latter is a whopping 7 years younger than the Panthers).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys like the signing of Bridgewater?

I have warmed up to it.  I could actually see Bridgewater excelling in this offense.

The way I see it, it sucks to see Cam Newton go.  Despite what anyone says, he was a very good QB for us in spite of the fact we never did a good job surrounding guys around him.  However, there were no guarantees Newton was going to be healthy for 16 games.  There was no guarantee that Newton would be as good as he was before even if he was healthy, especially since he's at the age where his running skills will likely be diminished.

I was all for keeping Newton because he only had one year left and it was a relatively cheap contract.  But to get Bridgewater at the same price made Newton expendable.  Bridgewater is younger and he's a much better fit for Brady's (likely) timing-based offense.  Bridgewater, McCaffrey, Moore, and Samuel on paper all mesh well together considering Bridgewater's skill-set and all three of those guys' ability to play underneath and get open pronto.

We'll see after the season.  The defense is in shambles and without a competent QB I have no doubt we'd be picking no less than #3 overall.  So I'll be disappointed in the signing if Bridgewater doesn't look like a long-term starter.  Him just playing well enough won't be enough for me if it causes us to miss out on Trevor Lawrence.

• Like 1

Not excited about Bridgewater at all. Our god awful defense will need us to score a lot of points quickly and he was a game manager for the Saints, who had a great defense last season along with a great OL and numerous weapons that are superior to ours. Don't see his success there translating to us.

This off-season has been a disaster. Not sure how any Panther fan can be inspired. Jettisoned nearly every good player, hired a coach who brought over his entire staff that couldn't even win the Big 12, and now we have Teddy Bridgewater leading the team... ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, iknowcool said:

I have warmed up to it.  I could actually see Bridgewater excelling in this offense.

The way I see it, it sucks to see Cam Newton go.  Despite what anyone says, he was a very good QB for us in spite of the fact we never did a good job surrounding guys around him.  However, there were no guarantees Newton was going to be healthy for 16 games.  There was no guarantee that Newton would be as good as he was before even if he was healthy, especially since he's at the age where his running skills will likely be diminished.

I was all for keeping Newton because he only had one year left and it was a relatively cheap contract.  But to get Bridgewater at the same price made Newton expendable.  Bridgewater is younger and he's a much better fit for Brady's (likely) timing-based offense.  Bridgewater, McCaffrey, Moore, and Samuel on paper all mesh well together considering Bridgewater's skill-set and all three of those guys' ability to play underneath and get open pronto.

We'll see after the season.  The defense is in shambles and without a competent QB I have no doubt we'd be picking no less than #3 overall.  So I'll be disappointed in the signing if Bridgewater doesn't look like a long-term starter.  Him just playing well enough won't be enough for me if it causes us to miss out on Trevor Lawrence.

I actually think Bridgewater will be an excellent fit for the Panthers' offense. The Panthers' offense is built very similarly to the 49ers' with Shanahan, except the Panthers have better skill position talent while the 9ers have better OL. They're still very comparable, as DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, and Robby Anderson all bring plenty of speed and dynamic ability after the catch. Run CMC is Run CMC. 

Teddy B and PJ Walker, meanwhile, should do very well at QB. Joe Brady is a Sean Payton disciple and master of the Gulf Coast Offense. He will know how to play to Teddy Bridgewater's strengths as a point guard at the QB position.

Look, I'm not in love with Bridgewater as a passer at this point; few people are. However, he's shown (albeit brief) flashes of dazzling play at that position, and is usually at least an Alex Smith-type game manager. We can argue about the vices and virtues of that standard at the position another time; as it stands now, you could certainly do worse. Bridgewater has shown the ability to thrive in situations where he's surrounded by good talent and simply make the right play on an every-down basis. He's much more consistent a Mitchell Trubisky-type, the type that looks good when everything around him is good, but lacks accuracy, intangibles, and Football IQ. Teddy has accuracy and good decision-making. He's conservative, but that's not the worst thing.

Anyways, I got off on a tangent there for a bit. Expect Joe Brady's offense to be extremely QB-friendly, a mixture of 2019 LSU, 2019 New Orleans, and 2019 San Francisco scheme-wise. That's likely a top-10 offense. And if worse comes to worst and Teddy absolutely bombs, then you're rolling with MVPJ Walker at QB. And if you're doing the homework on him... That's not a bad thing at all. Pretty much everything about his game translates. His composure, arm talent, mobility, and off-the-cuff ability are all very real. He's also arguably the best QB that Matt Rhule worked with in the NCAA ranks, and Rhule brought him into the building now that he's coaching an NFL team. 

This is an off-season where all of the NFC South teams are looking very improved. I don't expect the Panthers to make the Super Bowl, but I DO expect them to surprise people and potentially make the playoffs, if not this year, then next.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but hoping for some visibility:

For anyone interested, I'm taking part in an All NFL Draft on the GM Mock Drafts forum. We're going to be doing a snake style draft and building our own teams including coaches. I've done it in the past and it's been a lot of fun and helps learn about the state of talent in the league and different positions and on different teams. Disclaimer, this process usually takes about a month or so depending on the number of participants and how much people are able to stay on top of time schedules. If anyone's interested check it out! 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a Baylor alum (2010-2014), and Baylor football is by far my biggest sports passion. Watch every game, go to every spring game and practice I can, and keep up-to-the-minute tabs on recruiting. 

Long story short, I absolutely love Matt Rhule and was very pissed when he left. But I also 100% get it. He’s destined to be a head coach. I think he’s absolutely a phenomenal head coach, particularly on defense and developing players.

I can’t say for certainty he’ll end up being a superstar head coach for you guys but I think he’s a boom or bust. He’ll either flame out and go back to being a superstar in college or he’ll be a very, very special head coach for you guys.

One player I’m glad he grabbed was Bravvion Roy, who was an absolute monster his senior year.

I’ll be a closet Panthers fan this year and wanted to introduce myself.

• 2 months later...