George Seifert

Pandomonium

I was in the barbershop today and the topic went from the current playoffs to some football history.

Living in Houston as I do, I was in the barbershop with several Texans fans, a few Saints fans, and of course a loud-mouthed Cowboy fan. Me being the only Niner fan 

long story short the topic was that the niners (in the mind of the other fans) weren't worth a darn after Bill walsh retired 

I went on to correct them to tell them George Siefert was only the second coach in NFL history to win a superbowl in his rookie season (89-90) and also won no less than 10 games a season over an eight year span as the head coach en route to a second lombardi trophy.

needless to say you hear a mouse peeing on cotton after i destroyed them with the facts.

but as i think about it, 

WHY HASN'T THIS MAN BEEN CONSIDERED FOR THE HOF AS A COACH WITH HIS W-L RECORD???

• Like 1

Seifert is largely seen as a guy who essentially supervised the 49ers machine that started in 1981. The 1989 team was largely Bill Walsh's. The 1994 team he should get more credit for, but I guess since he inherited Young and Rice, people probably forget the contributions under his watch. George not being that outspoken doesn't help either. The one mega hit to his legacy is his tenure in Carolina which was terrible. So then now a perception exists that he was more so a cog in the 49ers dynasty machine, rather than an architect. Don't think it's fair, but that seems to be the status quo. Seifert, like Flores, won't sniff Canton. Kind of funny when Marv Levy, George Allen, and Bud Grant are enshrined who never won anything. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 10:09 PM, Pandomonium said:

i hear you 

i just looked up his W-L record and was pretty astonished that his worst record for almost a decade was 10-6

He also took a pretty bad Carolina team in '99 to 8-8, was probably robbed of a third title by the infamous Montana-killing and Craig-fumbling of '90, and got Steve Younged with the better team by just about every metric in '92 against the Cowboys. I love Steve Young. He's why I'm a Niners fan. We have the same birthday, and as a dorky white boy in Alabama with no pro football around, finding out that a dorky white boy with my birthday played QB for an NFL team was a pretty big shock. But Steve Young straight up underperformed in key playoff games occasionally, possibly because he got trapped in his own head. He was the most efficient quarterback of his era during just about every other game, combining a lot of the facets that we haven't seen until just now - he was as devastatingly accurate and efficient as Drew Brees and as annoying to deal with running around as dudes like Russell Wilson. But he was also replacing the greatest to ever play and was self-aware enough to know it, feel it, and have those thoughts slip in while playing (even by his own admission). It's a moment by moment instinctive world on that field and Steve had a lot of (understandable) internalized thoughts. 

Ok the reason George Siefert doesn't get the credit is b/c of his inability to beat the Green Bay Packers in 95 & 96. Had they won another SB after 94 he would've been resigned. 

Also the earlier title game losses to the Cowboys also didn't help his cause. The 95 team that blew the#1 seed on the final day of the regular season and thus drew the Packers in the divisional round was the worst for Siefert. The 96 wasn't good enough the beat the Packers with a banged up Steve Young.