49ers Stats and Observations

Forge

They have this thread in NFL Gen, and I think it's a good idea. We tend to throw random stats and tweets into various other threads, including the minor news thread, game day threads, etc, so I figured why not actually have a thread that serves that function? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Dre Greenlaw and Jimmie Ward were two of the best tacklers in the NFL at their positions this year. 

Greenlaw missed two tackles all year. 

Ward missed three, which tied him for second among safeties. 

So there's no way Ward goes anywhere this offseason right? I assume we're going to find the money to sign him somewhere considering how much this coaching staff has liked him in the past.

• Like 2

The 49ers were the poster children for regression toward the mean and an easy pick as the most likely team in the league to improve this season. If you had asked me whether they would finish the regular season as the No. 1 seed in the NFC, though, I would have guessed that the defense wouldn't be able to hold up its end of the bargain.

Instead, the defense has been the best part of this team. It's even more surprising when you consider that the Niners have dealt with serious injuries at every level of their defense. Their three big additions this offseason were Kwon Alexander, Nick Bosa and Dee Ford, and the three players combined for just 108 defensive snaps together before Alexander went down with a torn pec. (Opposing quarterbacks posted a QBR of 3.0 when those three players on the field together. That's not a typo -- 3 out of 100.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28403463/barnwell-guide-2019-nfl-playoffs-how-all-12-teams-win-super-bowl

• Like 2

The 2019 team put up 479 points this season. That's the most since 1998 and times that 1998 team for 3rd most in team history. It ranked 2nd in the league, which is the highest we have been since the 1995 team finished 1st.

Jimmy Garoppolo had the fourth most yards in a single season in team history and the most since Jeff Garcia in 2000. He also threw for the 10th most touchdowns, the most since Garcia in 2001.

George Kittle became just the 4th player in team history to put up back to back 1,000 yard seasons, joining Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, and Anquan Boldin.

The 2019 team's 48 sacks tied for the 9th most in a single season in team history. It was the most since the 1998 team had 51.

Raheem Mostert, Matt Breida, and Tevin Coleman each went over 500 yards on the season. The only other time in team history we had three players over 500 rushing yards was in 1954 when the famed Million Dollar Backfield of Hugh McElhenny, Joe Perry, and John Henry Johnson did it. It's rare for three running backs to hit that mark. The last time it happened was in 2004 when Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, and Derrick Blaylock did it for the Chiefs. It's far less rare this century when mobile quarterbacks are included. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N4L said:

The 49ers were the poster children for regression toward the mean and an easy pick as the most likely team in the league to improve this season. If you had asked me whether they would finish the regular season as the No. 1 seed in the NFC, though, I would have guessed that the defense wouldn't be able to hold up its end of the bargain.

Instead, the defense has been the best part of this team. It's even more surprising when you consider that the Niners have dealt with serious injuries at every level of their defense. Their three big additions this offseason were Kwon Alexander, Nick Bosa and Dee Ford, and the three players combined for just 108 defensive snaps together before Alexander went down with a torn pec. (Opposing quarterbacks posted a QBR of 3.0 when those three players on the field together. That's not a typo -- 3 out of 100.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28403463/barnwell-guide-2019-nfl-playoffs-how-all-12-teams-win-super-bowl

Please don't get my hopes up for the playoffs...lol my heart thanks u.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Geek said:

So there's no way Ward goes anywhere this offseason right? I assume we're going to find the money to sign him somewhere considering how much this coaching staff has liked him in the past.

I let him hit market, hope he falls through the cracks Tre Boston style, and get him back on a reasonable 1 (maybe 2) year deal that lets him prove this season wasn't a fluke.

It's a really bad idea to commit to him long term with a good size contract. One really good year (in which he still got hurt) does not wash away the prior five where he couldn't stay healthy and had shaky play when he was healthy

• Like 4

On 1/5/2020 at 1:44 AM, Forge said:

I let him hit market, hope he falls through the cracks Tre Boston style, and get him back on a reasonable 1 (maybe 2) year deal that lets him prove this season wasn't a fluke.

It's a really bad idea to commit to him long term with a good size contract. One really good year (in which he still got hurt) does not wash away the prior five where he couldn't stay healthy and had shaky play when he was healthy

Pretty much. They seem to be high on Moore. He got his feet wet a little this year. Let Ward hit the market, test his value and see where he lands. Moore would still be here if he indeeds gets a payday and lands elsewhere. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

On 2020-01-07 at 9:24 AM, NcFinest9erFan said:

When we last won the SB in 1994, it was in Miami. The SB this year is also in Miami soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2 of our 5 SB wins have been in Miami too sooooooooooooooooooooo

All of our Superbowls were won while I was NOT in Antarctica. Sooooooooo!