49ers Stats and Observations

Forge

8 hours ago, sherm said:

I've given Ward and Tartt a hard time over the yrs. Rightfully as they couldn't be counted on with all the injuries. As they have finally put together a healthy season and great play most of the season. I'm happy to see them shine. Hopefully they play great as a duo as they have all yr and help our defense/team go in the record books.

Tartts problem has never been production. He has literally always played well when he is on the field. We all knew he had this kind of ability but it was a matter of health.

Jimmie ward did not have the same production. Its pretty crazy how much we messed with his development early on by moving him around so much. This is the first year he played one position exclusively and it shows. I do think the work he got in the slot did help build his base for FS, but it didnt allow him to truly thrive in any one position. 

I am so proud of these guys. Ward in particular has really shown me something this year. He is probably the most sure tackler we have had in our secondary in the last 15 years, which is absolutely mind boggling when you think of what he has been for us over the last few years. I really hope are able to lock him down in the long run and that both guys keep taking their calcium supplements lol  

This team has so much heart. the only thing left to do is cement our place in history!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, sherm said:

I've given Ward and Tartt a hard time over the yrs. Rightfully as they couldn't be counted on with all the injuries. As they have finally put together a healthy season and great play most of the season. I'm happy to see them shine. Hopefully they play great as a duo as they have all yr and help our defense/team go in the record books.

I was thinking the other day about how much Jimmie Ward's NFL career reminds me of Bob Sanders. Not the same kind of player exactly, but both are smaller and hit harder than they should and have lots of injuries. Sanders was rarely able to put full season together, but when he did, he was special. The Colts defense was something else when Sanders was healthy. So we have a healthy Jimmie this year, and the defense is special (and we have our Mathis/Freeney duo in Ford/Bosa). I don't know if Jimmie can keep this up, but as long as he can do it, our defense will benefit tremendously from it. If we re-sign him, that is.

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I was thinking the other day about how much Jimmie Ward's NFL career reminds me of Bob Sanders. Not the same kind of player exactly, but both are smaller and hit harder than they should and have lots of injuries. Sanders was rarely able to put full season together, but when he did, he was special. The Colts defense was something else when Sanders was healthy. So we have a healthy Jimmie this year, and the defense is special (and we have our Mathis/Freeney duo in Ford/Bosa). I don't know if Jimmie can keep this up, but as long as he can do it, our defense will benefit tremendously from it. If we re-sign him, that is.

Yeah I remember Bob Sanders. Dude was like 5'8 but thick *** hell. Sanders only had a couple of seasons where he played double digit gms. He burned bright even if it wasn't for long. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I don't see the parallel personally. Sanders was a pretty consistent player....when he was healthy. Ward was never healthy enough, for long enough, to show any kind of consistency really. Sanders played one position, pretty much his entire career while Ward bounced around from nickelback, to boundary CB, to FS his first four years. Sanders was a tough, physical in-the-box type of safety. Ward is more of a coverage safety. Ward is not a big hitter....like at all. Sanders was known for being a pretty big hitter for his size.

Though not the same career arch, Ward and Byron Jones are a more similar comparison imho. Both first round picks who were looked at as future high-level starters but were miscast at their respective positions. Both had up and down play through their first couple of years in the league until new coaching personnel sought to switch their position and improve their play. Once they were placed at their more natural position, their play sky-rocketed and reached Pro Bowl level.

Guess I'll try to be optimistic. 

Since 2009, there has only been two teams who lost in the SB and failed to make the playoffs the following year. The Panthers and Rams. Panthers had a ton of injuries and Cam wasn't himself and the Rams just didn't quite have the offensive line that they did last year. We'll probably lose Ward and AA but the core is still there for another run. I may temper my exceptions but maybe some reverse psychology will help us. 

2009 Colts: Lost in Divisional round in 2010

2010 Steelers: Lost in WC round in 2011

2011 Patriots: Lost in AFCCG in 2012

2012 49ers: Lost in NFCCG in 2013

2013 Broncos: Lost in Divisional round in 2014

2014 Seahawks: Lost in Divisional round in 2015

2015 Panthers: Missed Playoffs went 6-10.

2016  Falcons: Lost in Divisional Round in 2017

2017 Patriots: Won the SB in 2018

2018 Rams: Miss playoffs went 9-7

2019 49ers: ???

I believe that we should at least make the post season next year, barring our guys getting hurt or just flat out not playing well. 

Also to add, the broncos would go on to win the SB in 2015. So there's some hope that we could return to the big stage and perhaps win it all next year or the year after. 

• 3 months later...

Since the fifth year option was introduced in 2011, we have the 25th highest rate in the NFL  of exercising said option at 44%. We have exercised 4 options, while declining 5. 

Fun note, the Seahawks have never exercised a fifth year option, but amazingly have only had three first round picks since 2011. 

Cleveland is the worst with any real sample size; they have exercised the fifth year option on only two of a possible twelve first round picks since 2011. 

• 6 months later...

QUARTERBACK

Bottom 6:
1. Dwayne Haskins 46.7
2. Sam Darnold 54.7
3. Nick Mullens 55.2

FULLBACK

Top 5:
1. Anthony Sherman 73.6
2. Andy Janovich 68.5
3. Elijhaa Penny 64.5
4. Kyle Juszczyk 63.9

WIDE RECEIVER

Bottom 7:
1. Jalen Guyton 51.5
2. Jeff Smith 52.7
3. John Hightower 53.0
4. Trent Taylor 53.9

TIGHT END

Top 5:
1. Travis Kelce 92.0
2. Richard Rodgers 88.9
3. Mo Alie-Cox 83.5
4. George Kittle 79.7

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Top 6:
1. David Bakhtiari 90.6
2. Trent Williams 90.0

CENTER

Bottom 5:
1. Lloyd Cushenberry 37.6
2. Dan Feeney 44.8
3. Hroniss Grasu 50.6

CORNERBACK

Top 7:
1. Xavien Howard 86.6
2. Bryce Callahan 84.1
3. Darious Williams 80.9
4. Jaire Alexander 80.6
5. Jason Verrett 79.8

SAFETY

Top 7:
1. Jessie Bates 90.9
2. Justin Simmons 86.5
3. John Johnson 84.9
4. Marcus Maye 82.1
5. Minkah Fitzpatrick 78.3
6. Budda Baker 77.0
7. Jimmie Ward 76.6

LINEBACKER

Top 7:
1. Bobby Wagner 87.1
2. Myles Jackon 82.8
3. Eric Kendricks 82.6
4. Nick Nwiatkoski 81.2
5. Fred Warner 80.6

"INTERIOR DEFENDER"

Bottom 7:
1. Maliek Collins 33.3
2. Trysten Hill 33.6
3. Ross Blacklock 35.2
4a. Brandon Dunn 37.2
4b.  Nathan Shepherd 37.2
6. Kentavius Street 39.8
7. Kendal Vickers 40.0

PUNTER

Top 5:
1. Jack Fox 91.6
2. Tommy Townsend 82.6
3. Bradley Pinion 79.8
4. Brett Kern 78.4
5. A.J. Cole 76.2
6. Mmitch Wishnowsky 76.0

Current PFF rankings applicable to the 49ers through week 13. Honestly not too many surprises in there. Our good players are good, our bad players are bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was bored, just wondering where yall would rank the talent of our team? Here's how i'd rank our players (unscientific)

Best players - Kittle, Aiyuk, Trent Williams, Bosa, Warner

Solid players - Mostert, Wilson, Deebo, Tomlinson, Kinlaw, Givens, Armstead, Greenlaw, Ward, Sherman, Verett, K'Waun Williams, Juice, Gould, Wishnowsky, Pepper

Everyone else i'd rank as average or below (maybe i'm forgetting someone)

Aiyuk finishes his rookie season with 66 touches for 825 yards for an average of 12.5 yards per touch, and 7 total TDs through 12 games. 

Averaging out his numbers for a full season would look like this: 

90 touches

1,101 yards from scrimmage

12.2 yards per touch

9 total TDs

With a healthy Kittle, Deebo, and Aiyuk next season, it could be one of our most explosive offenses we've had in a while. Just need better pass blocking at C and RG for Jimmy and we could be at a top 5 offense again.

13 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Aiyuk finishes his rookie season with 66 touches for 825 yards for an average of 12.5 yards per touch, and 7 total TDs through 12 games. 

Averaging out his numbers for a full season would look like this: 

90 touches

1,101 yards from scrimmage

12.2 yards per touch

9 total TDs

With a healthy Kittle, Deebo, and Aiyuk next season, it could be one of our most explosive offenses we've had in a while. Just need better pass blocking at C and RG for Jimmy and we could be at a top 5 offense again.

And maybe left tackle. The skill pieces are all there now though. 

The fact that Shanny can make this offense so explosive when we have basically no real deep passing game is just insane. What a brilliant offensive mind he is. Seriously.