Jump to content

49ers Stats and Observations


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

And maybe left tackle. The skill pieces are all there now though. 

The fact that Shanny can make this offense so explosive when we have basically no real deep passing game is just insane. What a brilliant offensive mind he is. Seriously. 

You're 100% right about Shanny. He's been our best HC in a very long time.

If we can keep Williams at LT, find a Center who can pass block well, and figure out if someone on the roster already can hold down RG at at least league-average play, this offense is primed for a big 2021. Of course, with the biggest of big caveats being people stay healthy. 

If the 49ers can manage to pass block next season and rush the passer consistently on defense, there's no reason this team can't be making a deep playoff run next season. Color me an optimist, but the pieces are there to make something great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

You're 100% right about Shanny. He's been our best HC in a very long time.

If we can keep Williams at LT, find a Center who can pass block well, and figure out if someone on the roster already can hold down RG at at least league-average play, this offense is primed for a big 2021. Of course, with the biggest of big caveats being people stay healthy. 

If the 49ers can manage to pass block next season and rush the passer consistently on defense, there's no reason this team can't be making a deep playoff run next season. Color me an optimist, but the pieces are there to make something great. 

It's always much easier said than done in terms of having a good OL. We're not going to have much money after Williams gets his deal so will need to sign a C for a fairly cheap deal...Well, if you do that, good chance that center is going to give you mediocre play at best. Likewise for the RG. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's always much easier said than done in terms of having a good OL. We're not going to have much money after Williams gets his deal so will need to sign a C for a fairly cheap deal...Well, if you do that, good chance that center is going to give you mediocre play at best. Likewise for the RG. 

I'd be good with an OL of Williams-Tomlinson-Mack-McVitz-McGlinchey, with Brunskill/a draft pick to develop as a swing T and take over if McGlinchey keeps struggling in pass protection. And Garland as a backup at C/G.

We'll likely have a bunch of mid-round picks, so would be nice to spend a couple on beefing up our OL depth/a C of the future as well

Edited by 49ersfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's always much easier said than done in terms of having a good OL. We're not going to have much money after Williams gets his deal so will need to sign a C for a fairly cheap deal...Well, if you do that, good chance that center is going to give you mediocre play at best. Likewise for the RG. 

Honestly, I'd rather not sign a free agent center. I'd prefer to target the best pass-blocking center for a zone scheme and draft him. Draft a Center, re-sign Garland, and maybe Grasu or someone else battle it out for 3rd string. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, I'd rather not sign a free agent center. I'd prefer to target the best pass-blocking center for a zone scheme and draft him. Draft a Center, re-sign Garland, and maybe Grasu or someone else battle it out for 3rd string. 

Well, then you're talking about Humphrey which would require a first / second round pick. I don't believe that we will go that route. Without knowing what's going on with Richburg, having Mack as a possible available center, and having Brunskill...I think that's a position where we won't seriously entertain drafting a center in the first two rounds. I think we will use those for more expensive positions, to be honest. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, I'd rather not sign a free agent center. I'd prefer to target the best pass-blocking center for a zone scheme and draft him. Draft a Center, re-sign Garland, and maybe Grasu or someone else battle it out for 3rd string. 

I still believe that we could sign Alex Mack for a decent price and sign back Garland to fill in at Guard. We could then draft a guard in the earlier rounds, drop Richburg (money saved goes to Mack). That O-line looks promising with T. Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Garland, McGlinchey. Add a rookie guard, with Brunskill.....I would take that all day

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, then you're talking about Humphrey which would require a first / second round pick. I don't believe that we will go that route. Without knowing what's going on with Richburg, having Mack as a possible available center, and having Brunskill...I think that's a position where we won't seriously entertain drafting a center in the first two rounds. I think we will use those for more expensive positions, to be honest. 

I get it. I'm just tired of our FO skimping on the IOL and seeing 2/3 of them being revolving doors in the passing game. It's a glaring weakness that they've refused to address properly. I know that Richburg was making it all work when he was on the field, but that's blown up in our face and Brunskill hasn't been great at RG. Garland is a great backup who is a fantastic run blocker, but useless in the passing game. 

I'd love to see the Niners draft a C and RG or draft one / sign one. Just get some pass blockers on the O-line for next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Forge said:

Lol I mean, I know he was hurt, but it's hilarious he only had one

Was it the Aiyuk pass against the Pats? The one where he had to adjust mid-air and his momentum caused him to run out of bounds? I think Jeff Wilson scored the very next play (and got injured too). 

That's the only deep pass that comes to memory, but surely there were more?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Was it the Aiyuk pass against the Pats? The one where he had to adjust mid-air and his momentum caused him to run out of bounds? I think Jeff Wilson scored the very next play (and got injured too). 

That's the only deep pass that comes to memory, but surely there were more?

That is in fact the one

Link to post
Share on other sites

Image

Eww.

Also, LOL at McG being worse than Compton in pass protection (very limited sample for Compton, but it's funny optically). Skule is apparently awful no matter where you put him. 

My guess is that we will fix center and kick Brunskill back over to guard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Image

Eww.

Also, LOL at McG being worse than Compton in pass protection (very limited sample for Compton, but it's funny optically). Skule is apparently awful no matter where you put him. 

My guess is that we will fix center and kick Brunskill back over to guard. 

Can't be the only one that finds it strange that Brunskill and Skule both have the same exact percentage for two position. Must have to be a total percentage instead of for the individual position. Especially with Brunskill base on pure feeling after watching the games his pressue% at RG should be higher and at C is lower.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Can't be the only one that finds it strange that Brunskill and Skule both have the same exact percentage for two position. Must have to be a total percentage instead of for the individual position. Especially with Brunskill base on pure feeling after watching the games his pressue% at RG should be higher and at C is lower.

I asked...not sure if he'll respond, but good catch. I'd assume that you are correct...the stats are overall and it was just split between positions based on snap counts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I asked...not sure if he'll respond, but good catch. I'd assume that you are correct...the stats are overall and it was just split between positions based on snap counts.

And the snap numbers are all different totals. Probably a few snaps here and there for guys off the PS or something like that but still kinda strange to have almost 50 snaps between some groups.

Edited by Justone2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Justone2 said:

And the snap numbers are all different totals. 

I think that makes sense because that's probably what they actually played at their respective positions. I just think the pressure rates covering the entirety of their play rather than each position individually 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...