PFF maintains that coverage >>> pass rush

bucsfan333

On 1/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, bucsfan333 said:

I think we all kinda saw it with how our defense played. Our pass rush was pretty consistent the whole season. But our defense didn't really improve until Hargreaves got cut and our secondary got better.

Great article but I still think it all boils down to the Defensive philosophy.    great coverage / bad pass rush you blitz to generate pass rush and you have the coverage guys to lock their WR's up 1v1.  If you have the opposite do like Chargers/49ers and don't blitz and put more guys into coverage to compensate.

You can find good and bad examples of both.  Lions absolutely no pass rush and a decent coverage team and they hardly blitzed more than 4 (lowest in the league) so the teams had all day to throw the ball.  Then you have Tampa and Cardinals who blitz more but don't have the coverage to force the QB to hold onto the ball and get sacked/make mistakes.

I'm am pretty sure the TB defense started to improve when they started blitzing less because they had the guys on the front end to avoid blitzing to generate pass rush.  I remember seeing at one point in the season TB was blitzing at an absurd amount and most in the league and as the season went on it definitely changed.  You could also make a case for Jpp coming back as they had the D line to allow them to get pressure w/o blitzing.

I also think its easier to build a good pass-rushing unit compared to a good coverage unit.  That is something I feel makes a difference and why more teams opt-in for getting more pass rush and making it more important in the draft.

• Like 1

We blitzed at something like a 60% rate through the first half of the season. We blitzed the Panthers like 80% the first time.

Our blitz numbers had to have gone down significantly for our final total to be less than 50%. I think part of that was improvement in the secondary. We didn't need to force the issue since our CBs could finally cover for more than two seconds.

Like I said, our ability to apply pressure didn't really change much throughout the season. Didn't matter if we blitzed or not. Our coverage improving seemed to be the difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We blitzed at something like a 60% rate through the first half of the season. We blitzed the Panthers like 80% the first time.

Our blitz numbers had to have gone down significantly for our final total to be less than 50%. I think part of that was improvement in the secondary. We didn't need to force the issue since our CBs could finally cover for more than two seconds.

Like I said, our ability to apply pressure didn't really change much throughout the season. Didn't matter if we blitzed or not. Our coverage improving seemed to be the difference.

Yea that's what I remembered was the 60% number through the first half.  I don't have any of the stats available to see what changed though....  Pass coverage definitely improved though.

It would be awesome to do an in depth look at what the differences were.  More man coverage vs. zone, # of players blitzing, time QB has, etc...   Unfortunately, I don't have those tools lol.  (I'm not paying for PFF)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Yea that's what I remembered was the 60% number through the first half.  I don't have any of the stats available to see what changed though....  Pass coverage definitely improved though.

It would be awesome to do an in depth look at what the differences were.  More man coverage vs. zone, # of players blitzing, time QB has, etc...   Unfortunately, I don't have those tools lol.  (I'm not paying for PFF)

@indifference might. Or might have a friend that does.

• Like 1