Hypothetical Trade: Redskins & Bengals

aceinthehouse

Not a good trade for the Bengals. Trent Williams is a complete unknown at this point, aging and expensive, which doesn't exactly mesh with a rebuild when you're giving up assets to procure him. This draft is also pretty damn good at the top of the draft with regards to tackles. They also have Williams coming back next year. And that 2nd round pick is the first in the round...just waaaaaaaaaaay too much value for Williams in this scenario. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Not a good trade for the Bengals. Trent Williams is a complete unknown at this point, aging and expensive, which doesn't exactly mesh with a rebuild when you're giving up assets to procure him. This draft is also pretty damn good at the top of the draft with regards to tackles. They also have Williams coming back next year. And that 2nd round pick is the first in the round...just waaaaaaaaaaay too much value for Williams in this scenario. 

If Trent Williams is healthy, he is the best LT in the league. Because of the inept medical staff that Bruce Allen hired and kept around, Williams had issues with his life in their hands and them being incompetent. That was the reason for all of his issues with the organization. 

While a lot of the mock draft sites have their tackles on the board in the first round, there are a lot of issues with this OT tackle class. Frankly, from watching tape, Trey Adams is the best technical OT. Thomas from Georgia has really bad footwork, uses his hands to extend instead of absorbing and maintaining the base then extending the hands. Jackson and Wirfs are not that impressive and Nate Stanley seemed to always be under duress. Throckmorton is a massive guy but could easily move inside. I have been skeptical of this OT class, but I have to watch more to really see. I have yet to look at the Alabama OT (Wills?).

There might be better OT's in the mid rounds this draft than at the top of the draft, but time will tell as we go through the EWSG, Senior Bowl, Combine etc. 

23 minutes ago, mike23md said:

While a lot of the mock draft sites have their tackles on the board in the first round, there are a lot of issues with this OT tackle class. Frankly, from watching tape, Trey Adams is the best technical OT. Thomas from Georgia has really bad footwork, uses his hands to extend instead of absorbing and maintaining the base then extending the hands. Jackson and Wirfs are not that impressive and Nate Stanley seemed to always be under duress. Throckmorton is a massive guy but could easily move inside. I have been skeptical of this OT class, but I have to watch more to really see. I have yet to look at the Alabama OT (Wills?).

There might be better OT's in the mid rounds this draft than at the top of the draft, but time will tell as we go through the EWSG, Senior Bowl, Combine etc. 

Most, maybe all, informed draft pundits disagree with you. The people who analyze tape for a living (the anti-McShay's/Kiper's of the world) are pretty much in consensus that this is one of the better classes we've seen in a long time. There are 3 legitimate top 10 talents (Wirfs, Thomas, Wills) topping off a deep, deep. I'm not sure what your pedigree is, but there is a long list of guys I trust as evaluators that disagree with you.

21 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Most, maybe all, informed draft pundits disagree with you. The people who analyze tape for a living (the anti-McShay's/Kiper's of the world) are pretty much in consensus that this is one of the better classes we've seen in a long time. There are 3 legitimate top 10 talents (Wirfs, Thomas, Wills) topping off a deep, deep. I'm not sure what your pedigree is, but there is a long list of guys I trust as evaluators that disagree with you.

Thats fine. If we all agreed, it would be no fun. 

There are a lot of guys that I discuss draft potential with on Twitter and trust in their opinion too. I am inclined to take the analysis of those you talk about and determine whether I agree or disagree.  I played HS and College ball, and understand the mechanics of being an OT. Its a good class with a lot of potential, but I am not in agreement that it is one of the best classes in a long time. My opinion, and you dont have to agree nor does anyone else. just sayin. 

Edited by mike23md