Mike McCarthy hired as Head Coach for Cowboys

ACO

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He's out apparently. Said he was tied to Manusky (what an idiot) lol

I've looked and can't find anything confirming, but it's typically hard with assistants anyway. I find it surprising Rivera would let him go given his track record and who you guys are going to draft in April. 

well did find this, but not sure it's all that credible....

Panthers offensive line coach John Matsko, receivers coach Jim Hostler, and trainer Ryan Vermillion are all joining Rivera in Washington, according to a Twitter thread from Joseph Person of The Athletic. Person adds that defensive line coach Sam Mills III will also interview for a spot on Rivera’s staff. Obviously, the new head coach is interested in getting the gang back together again. We had heard initially that he was likely to keep offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell, who did good work with Dwayne Haskins down the stretch, but that might not necessarily be the case.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/01/latest-on-redskins-coaching-staff-washington-interested-in-pat-shurmur-for-oc

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He's out apparently. Said he was tied to Manusky (what an idiot) lol

Tomsula is a fool if he doesn’t want the chance to mold Young and Sweat and work for a competent, normal HC for once. 

But I’m starting to question how good Tomsula really is. Ioannidis has developed nicely, which is a point in his favor, but Allen and Payne both really underperformed this past year. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I've looked and can't find anything confirming, but it's typically hard with assistants anyway. I find it surprising Rivera would let him go given his track record and who you guys are going to draft in April. 

i can see it if Rivera/JDR has his own guy 

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's certainly not my opinion.

Well, you are wrong on this. He is one of the only Coaches Pete Carroll has ever fired. He came to Dallas and has regressed our defense pretty hard. The only positional group that exceeded their talent level was our DL. 

Im pretty sure greater than 80% of Cowboys fans would be happy if he is gone. 

Why do you think he doesnt suck?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Well, you are wrong on this. He is one of the only Coaches Pete Carroll has ever fired. He came to Dallas and has regressed our defense pretty hard. The only positional group that exceeded their talent level was our DL. 

Man, so much can change in a year.  This time last year, the consensus seemed to be that Richard taking over the play-calling duties was a big reason for the defensive turnaround in Big D.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Man, so much can change in a year.  This time last year, the consensus seemed to be that Richard taking over the play-calling duties was a big reason for the defensive turnaround in Big D.

Most people are distracted by bright shiny things. I never, ever, agreed with that sentiment. Our Defense improved by 8 points *total* (over 16 games) from Rod calling the plays to Kris. There was no "turnaround".

And that was with a brand new All Pro LVE added to the mix. It then regressed in all phases but our DL this year. Specifically, our tackling and coverage was terrible. 

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Always liked his scheming in Seattle. Was more aggressive and diverse than your typical Pete protege. And my recollection was that Pete firing him had more to do with the personality issues on defense than coaching.

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Most people are distracted by bright shiny things. I never, ever, agreed with that sentiment. Our Defense improved by 8 points *total* (over 16 games) from Rod calling the plays to Kris. There was no "turnaround".

And that was with a brand new All Pro LVE added to the mix. It then regressed in all phases but our DL this year. Specifically, our tackling and coverage was terrible. 

I mean, you did go from 25th in 2017 to top 10 in 2018 in defensive DVOA.  Though it's true that a healthy LVE was a big part of that. 

What happened to Byron Jones this year?  He looked elite in 2018.