Mike McCarthy hired as Head Coach for Cowboys

ACO

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, you did go from 25th in 2017 to top 10 in 2018 in defensive DVOA.  Though it's true that a healthy LVE was a big part of that. 

What happened to Byron Jones this year?  He looked elite in 2018.

Jones was still pretty good. He plays RCB (#2) and is probably tops at that spot in the NFL.

That is something that Richard deserves a lot of credit for, he turned Jones's career around completely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Cowboys should also be "hoping for" veteran James Campen for OL coach and Joe Whitt for DBs
Those are 2 very talented coaches who worked for McCarthy in GB.  The rest of the assistants were pretty meh

These two would be a good get. If not Campen look for Philbin too on the OL. I can pretty much guarantee Scott McCurley gets a job on that defensive staff. He's a Pitt guy that's been with Mac his entire coaching career and was on that group of coaches he worked with this year.

One thing you can always look for on Mac staff is ties to Pennsylvania. He loves guys who grew up in the same area as him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

They should have at least interviewed Eberflus. Defensive coaches don't get half the love offensive coaches do these days.

Probably because offense sells more compared to defense. The typical fan likes those crazy points scored. Additionally the defense is often at a disadvantage due to new rules that favor offense.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

The thing I'm most curious about is if he is actually getting his 14 person football technology  department. That'll let me know that he's truly serious about reinventing himself:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

He supposedly got a round table of excoaches/NFL people and watched games all weekend trying to understand different approaches as trends. Not sure how much is lip service but I will say that if I were to create my "Ideal" offseason for a retread coach to get back into the league, McCarthy did it to the nose. I've never been a McCarthy guy but his offseason has really impressed.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Always liked his scheming in Seattle. Was more aggressive and diverse than your typical Pete protege. And my recollection was that Pete firing him had more to do with the personality issues on defense than coaching.

I mean he was one of our worst defensive DC in those LOB years. He had great players but underperform with one of the worst 3rd down defense in the league. Maybe he could make a better Head Coach though.