Mike McCarthy hired as Head Coach for Cowboys

ACO

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

How is this guy possibly getting more job interviews?  Would he qualify as a Rooney Rule candidate?

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

that gotta be for the rooney rule. jones cant be that stupid right? 

Just now, ninjapirate said:

Also interviewed Marvin Lewis today or will do so. I think marvin would be great in Dallas. Give him a 10 year deal Jerry. 

Internet speculation is that its for rooney rule + he could be a DC candidate. 

McCarthy

Moore

Lewis

Would be a decent staff.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I get the jokes, but I want to interject, Garrett knows his future. Rumors have been that he has known for weeks. Whats happening between the Cowboys/Garrett happens all the time in the real business world (transition plans). Rare in coaching circles. 

Keep on memeing on though. 

Happens all the time yet never happens. 

solid argument 

• Like 1

Mike McCarthy is a hell of a good coach.  He would do very very well in Dallas.  Cleveland should have hired him to turn around that pathetic franchise.  But Cleveland is Cleveland they screw everything up.  Heard rumblings of Riley to Dallas.  If I were Jones I'd take a guy who has been there before and a proven winner.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

wasn't McCarthy reluctant to establish any kind of running game during his stint in GB? seems like a strange fit to me if so.

We didnt really have a good runningback on the roster the majority of his tenure. Before Eddie Lacy ate himself off the team, he was a focal point of the offense. McCarthy is a great coach and I suspect would do very well in Dallas with a fresh slate. I get the feeling MM has been watching a lot of tape this year.

34 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

wasn't McCarthy reluctant to establish any kind of running game during his stint in GB? seems like a strange fit to me if so.

The biggest flaw with McCarthy is that he didn't keep his offense up to date during his tenure, he kept running the same out of date offense with a refusal for 2nd half adjustments and he became very predictable with a lead it was always run run pass. Which, I guess with Zeke if that's his mentality still then that may actually gel pretty well. The rumor is that he's spent the entire offseason watching film and updating his offense though. If that's true and he took this year off to catch up to the times then this could be a good fit. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

Marvin Lewis and Jay Gruden as play caller is probably not terrible. They had a good run there in Cinci in a tough AFC with Manning Brady Rivers Ben primes.

I like McCarthy but you need a DC and I don’t think Lewis will do DC. Maybe McCarthy with Lewis as assistant HC.

All jokes aside... I think McCarthy as HC would be a wise choice. And if not him having someone of a defensive mind like Lewis as DC with a college Coach like Riley is also a smart play. It is the Cowboys. It has been a decade since the chance to be a coach there has opened up. I would assume many will apply.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

The biggest flaw with McCarthy is that he didn't keep his offense up to date during his tenure, he kept running the same out of date offense with a refusal for 2nd half adjustments and he became very predictable with a lead it was always run run pass. Which, I guess with Zeke if that's his mentality still then that may actually gel pretty well. The rumor is that he's spent the entire offseason watching film and updating his offense though. If that's true and he took this year off to catch up to the times then this could be a good fit. 

While I certainly concur that McCarthy's stale offense and "we do what we do" approach to game planning was fundamentally flawed, I respectfully disagree that it was his biggest flaw as a head coach.

One bigger flaw, for me, was that McCarthy all but ignored the defensive side of the ball so that no matter how well the offense performed the Packers were always vulnerable. That was especially true in 2011 when the team went 15-1, Rodgers was the MVP, the offense hummed, and yet the defense finished last overall and the team lost its first game in the playoffs.

The Packers did not have a top 10 scoring D between 2012-2018 despite spending 1st round picks on the defense every one of those years.

Another bigger flaw, was McCarthy's absolute refusal to give a **** about special teams. Year after year after year the Packers finished at or near the bottom of the NFL in ST rankings and McCarthy could not have cared less. For those paying attention, that approach to STs came back to bite Green Bay in the arse in the 2014 NFC Championship game when a player who was not supposed to field an onside kick attempted to do so and failed miserably allowing the Seahawks to advance to the Super Bowl.

However, McCarthy's biggest flaw by far, IMO, in Green Bay was the coaching staff he put together. Familiarity and loyalty mattered to McCarthy far more than production.

For example, he hired Shawn Slocum, the son of a former mentor, to POORLY coach the STs unit -- until it cost the Pack a spot in the Super Bowl. McCarthy then replaced Slocum with an equally incompetent crony in Ron Zook.

Then there was McCarthy's defensive coordinator Dom Capers. By the time McCarthy finally fired Dom after the 2016 season -- after years and years of mediocre to poor defensive play, Dom was the longest-tenured defensive coordinator in the NFL. 

But perhaps the best example of McCarthy's unyielding (and undeserved) loyalty to his coaches involves Winston Moss. Moss was McCarthy's long-time LBs coach and thus in charge of arguably the poorest performing position group during McCarthy's time as Packer head coach. Yet, for reasons virtually no Packer fan can fathom or explain, McCarthy made the acerbic, personality-challenged Moss his Associate Head Coach.

For those still doubting the poor quality of the staffs McCarthy put together during his 13-year run in Green Bay consider that just 2 of his assistants got head coaching gigs Ben McAdoo with the Giants and Joe Philbin in Miami. Both quickly failed and both are now out of the NFL altogether.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Sounds like Garrett, if Garrett had Aaron Rodgers. 

20 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

While I certainly concur that McCarthy's stale offense and "we do what we do" approach to game planning was fundamentally flawed, I respectfully disagree that it was his biggest flaw as a head coach.

One bigger flaw, for me, was that McCarthy all but ignored the defensive side of the ball so that no matter how well the offense performed the Packers were always vulnerable. That was especially true in 2011 when the team went 15-1, Rodgers was the MVP, the offense hummed, and yet the defense finished last overall and the team lost its first game in the playoffs.

The Packers did not have a top 10 scoring D between 2012-2018 despite spending 1st round picks on the defense every one of those years.

Doesnt spending all your 1st round picks on defense contradict that he didnt address the defense?

Another bigger flaw, was McCarthy's absolute refusal to give a **** about special teams. Year after year after year the Packers finished at or near the bottom of the NFL in ST rankings and McCarthy could not have cared less. For those paying attention, that approach to STs came back to bite Green Bay in the arse in the 2014 NFC Championship game when a player who was not supposed to field an onside kick attempted to do so and failed miserably allowing the Seahawks to advance to the Super Bowl.

Thats scary. Our ST's has also been very poor.

However, McCarthy's biggest flaw by far, IMO, in Green Bay was the coaching staff he put together. Familiarity and loyalty mattered to McCarthy far more than production.

For example, he hired Shawn Slocum, the son of a former mentor, to POORLY coach the STs unit -- until it cost the Pack a spot in the Super Bowl. McCarthy then replaced Slocum with an equally incompetent crony in Ron Zook.

Then there was McCarthy's defensive coordinator Dom Capers. By the time McCarthy finally fired Dom after the 2016 season -- after years and years of mediocre to poor defensive play, Dom was the longest-tenured defensive coordinator in the NFL. 

But perhaps the best example of McCarthy's unyielding (and undeserved) loyalty to his coaches involves Winston Moss. Moss was McCarthy's long-time LBs coach and thus in charge of arguably the poorest performing position group during McCarthy's time as Packer head coach. Yet, for reasons virtually no Packer fan can fathom or explain, McCarthy made the acerbic, personality-challenged Moss his Associate Head Coach.

For those still doubting the poor quality of the staffs McCarthy put together during his 13-year run in Green Bay consider that just 2 of his assistants got head coaching gigs Ben McAdoo with the Giants and Joe Philbin in Miami. Both quickly failed and both are now out of the NFL altogether.  

This is terrifyingly familiar. Nepotism runs rampant in Dallas.

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

How is this guy possibly getting more job interviews?  Would he qualify as a Rooney Rule candidate?

Why wouldn’t he get more interviews? Marvin Lewis is a great coaching candidate in his own right. Took one of the worst franchises that was on a Browns level and turning them into a playoff contender for multiple seasons... he leaves and they turn back into absolute garbage.

Edit: Not to mention that he has many contacts in the league and seems very easy to get along with, no ego, and he could definitely be the perfect fit for the Cowboys as he has the kind of easy personality that won’t conflict with a Jones run team.

Edited by diamondbull424

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Doesnt spending all your 1st round picks on defense contradict that he didnt address the defense?

McCarthy didn't do the drafting in Green Bay.

The fact that so many top draft picks were devoted to the D and the D never improved is attributable to both the poor drafting (of the Packers' former GM not McCarthy) but also to poor coaching and improper player utilization.

ForMicah Hyde is a good SAFETY in Buffalo who was played out of position as a slot corner in GB.