Poll: MM a good choice as next Dallas Cowboy Head Coach?

perrynoid

Would Mike McCarthy make a good choice to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering if Packer Nation thinks MM might make a good HC of the Dallas Cowboys? Why, or why not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if he has a good DC
    • Other; please state your rationale below

MM is inheriting an almost ideal situation: good QB on rookie contract, strong OL, great RB, good WR corps, solid D.

Credit where due, that coaching staff looks impressive on paper courtesy his additions. 'Would have been nice if he'd have gotten *us* a real special-teams coach, he might have another ring and still be here if he had. >.<

Yeah, still a doubter of his, but that is a turn-key playoff team. They could even nab a Lombardi(!) while Dak is still cheap.

But I think they'll come back down to earth when Dak gets paid.

5 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I think people make mountains out of the molehill of a new coach being requested to keep on an assistant. 

Obviously I'm not in the room, but I would expect it is much less "KEEP THIS GUY OR YOU DON'T GET HIRED" and more "we really like this assistant, can you sit down and see if you think you could work together?" 

I agree... but moore seems like Jason 2.0. Like is he not the only guy McCarthy kept? Granted he might of been the only one worth keeping but to everyone’s point the offense was good already. So other guys had to be good too.

Like I think it’s just weird because I’m assuming it’s McCarthy’s scheme they will run... now I’m sure moore will add wrinkles and plays but McCarthy is still McCarthy. And if you are hiring McCarthy part of the draw is he is a well seasoned playcaller.

You want a 2nd year playcaller... calling plays from a scheme he is just learning?

8 hours ago, Green19 said:

I agree... but moore seems like Jason 2.0. Like is he not the only guy McCarthy kept? Granted he might of been the only one worth keeping but to everyone’s point the offense was good already. So other guys had to be good too.

Like I think it’s just weird because I’m assuming it’s McCarthy’s scheme they will run... now I’m sure moore will add wrinkles and plays but McCarthy is still McCarthy. And if you are hiring McCarthy part of the draw is he is a well seasoned playcaller.

You want a 2nd year playcaller... calling plays from a scheme he is just learning?

McCarthy kept trying to give up playcalling though so he could focus more on the big picture. I don't think him calling plays was ever part of his plan moving forward. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much Moore's offense as McCarthy's.

13 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

MM is inheriting an almost ideal situation: good QB on rookie contract, strong OL, great RB, good WR corps, solid D.

Credit where due, that coaching staff looks impressive on paper courtesy his additions. 'Would have been nice if he'd have gotten *us* a real special-teams coach, he might have another ring and still be here if he had. >.<

Yeah, still a doubter of his, but that is a turn-key playoff team. They could even nab a Lombardi(!) while Dak is still cheap.

But I think they'll come back down to earth when Dak gets paid.

Dak Prescott's last year on his rookie contract was 2019, so he won't have a good QB on a rookie contract.

9 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

(Just to make this "saved" post go away...)

These are such weaselly responses

3. -.- some other guy said that about Montgomery, not me

3b. No it's because MM was not using him enough, regardless whether the stats reflect that or not. No RB1 averages over 5 ypc like Jones did last year. That kind of ypc is consistent with change-of-pace rushers, not #1 guys, with Jamaal Charles and record-breakers like AP/CJ2K being the only exceptions.

And no, a coach does not have to be on the hot seat for people to validly criticize him. I was criticizing that about him before he was on the hot-seat.

4. Yeah, kind of a big difference between saying it 7 years in advance versus saying during the season when the team is playing awful.

:|

5. Oh lol of course, because making it about Rodgers's "toxic" relationship with McCarthy puts the reasoning firmly in the realm of conjecture rather than any notion that the coach was incompetent/mediocrity. So, not really for firing him, just resigning to the reality that it was inevitable. Damn, that must sting ^_^

6. I was largely just spitballing with alternative explanations that the stats would not reflect, but I looked it up just now and our ranking league-wide jumped up from 21st in the league to 5th place. So that "small" difference still beats all but four teams right now, whereas all but 11 were beating us last year.

You keep focusing on context-devoid, macro-level stuff because it reinforces the narrative that Rodgers is the problem and not MM's coaching. Well hmm, who was coaching Rodgers when he became the problem!?

Who was helpless when he had to play without Rodgers, whose only adjustment for a new QB's skill-set was to call endless swing-passes and then going back to the usual scheme/plays, despite supposedly being a QB guru (then publicly threw him under the bus for not "preparing" well enough ... which somehow does not seem like adequate explanation for why the backup was not serviceable)?

3. Yes . . . You started this conversation by criticizing my responses to another poster. The conversation was about the dude lying about McCarthy exclusively featuring Montgomery. The Montgomery aspect of the conversation becomes exceedingly relevant when you evaluate the context of what is happening around you. 

3b. In games 7-13, when Jones was back playing in the swing of things after his injury/suspension, and before he got hurt, Jones carried the ball 14 times per game and was targeted 4 times per game. He averaged 5.48 yards/attempt in those games. In 2019 Jones is averaging 14.8 carries per game and 4.25 carries per game. Jones' usage on a per/snap statistical basis hasn't changed, and truthfully hasn't changed from a tactical standpoint since Adams came back from his injury. 

You're going to accuse me of weaselly responses, and then say, "Well I know that targets and carry numbers say one thing, but I'm going to reject those two pieces of relevant statistical information and instead judge how much a player is playing based on YPC. An absolutely ridiculous response.

The majority of a fanbase isn't going to criticize a coach when the team is exceeding expectations in his first season. LaFleur has done a lot of good and different things with this offense and this team, but realistically our offense hasn't gotten better. It looks different, but it's still an average group. 

4. What is the difference between saying it 5 years in advance vs. 2 years in advance vs. 7 years in advance. In this hypothetical scenario (because I'm not calling for LaFleur's firing) If LaFleur never wins a Superbowl with Rodgers, do I get to be like the Capers haters who claim to have been calling for Capers firing since 2011?

5. You seriously don't think that the professional relationship between Rodgers and McCarthy was toxic? Did you miss the Bills game where Rodgers got up on the podium after a shutout win and proceeded to blast the offensive game plan? We've had plenty of worse offensive outings this year than that Bills game, but instead Rodgers has praised the defense in those wins. Rodgers wanted McCarthy gone. 

Define "wanted someone fired"? You never take pleasure in someone being fired, especially a guy like McCarthy who contributed a lot to the organization and always conducted himself with class. I wanted McCarthy fired in the sense that I think his message had gone stale in the locker room. I wanted McCarthy fired in the sense that I didn't think that this combination of roster, QB, and coach was going to be successful in the future. I didn't want McCarthy fired because I thought he was a bad coach or because I was vindictive. 

6. The overall rankings in TOP are pretty pointless because the middle is so jammed together. The offense is averaging 9 seconds more per drive. It's averaging .1 plays per drive fewer. The idea that the TOP is somehow having an impact on this defense is laughable. TOP is determined almost exclusively by # of plays ran. That comes down frequently to 3rd down percentage. 

Alternatively, maybe backup QBs just kinda suck and blaming the coach for the backup QB sucking is pretty unfair. Hundley had a 3-6 record as a starting QB with the Packers. That's a 5-11 record stretched over a 16 game season. That was with a defense that was 26th in PPG allowed. Missed in all this is that Rodgers went the next year 6-9-1 with a better defense than what Hundley got. 

• Like 3

No dog in this fight ... for once.  Let's face it, unless you have a really strong overall team offensively and defensively, anytime you lose  your starting qb you're screwed.  It just doesn't matter who the backup is.  All one can expect from a good backup is maybe winning 1/2 the games he started.  Titans and Saints this year are really the only 2 teams that did this and both were vets that were paid pretty decent backup money to be there.  

With the Jets likely moving on from UFA Montgomery after his 32 carries for 103 yards (3.2 ypc) and 13 receptions for 90 yards over 16 games performance in 2019, maybe MM can convince Jerruh to bring Ty home in 2020 and Mac can feature the same type of 3-headed RB rotation in Dallas (Zeke, Pollard, and Montgomery) that he employed and so enjoyed during the first half of 2018 in Green Bay .