Poll: MM a good choice as next Dallas Cowboy Head Coach?

perrynoid

Would Mike McCarthy make a good choice to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering if Packer Nation thinks MM might make a good HC of the Dallas Cowboys? Why, or why not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if he has a good DC
    • Other; please state your rationale below

40 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

re: 3 -- I have a good memory. I remember vividly many fans wanting us to run Jones more.

Those conversations happened here. I know; I was there. Some even debated AGAINST doing that, saying that his body would not hold up if we did (*cough*INCOG) -!!

So when people act like there is no meaningful difference between how Jones has been used then and now... that's gaslighting, plain and simple. There's no accounting for situational football, and the difference in philosophical approach between these two coaches is clear as day. Or the fact that we run a lot more screens, jet-sweeps and such that are statistically passes but functionally running plays. It's clear that giving Jones touches if priority to this coach and that it was not to our last coach (who literally ran an Air Raid-type system).

There is a reason why people were clamoring for more Jones then and are not now, our lying eyes were telling the truth. So yes, miss me with the stats.

re: 4 -- by that point, it was so glaringly obvious that his defenders had to re-brand themselves. And yet...

re: 5 -- so his offense -isn't- the reason for the struggles... but uhh, we need to ~do something different! Totally not the mental-gymnastics of a defender or anything.

First of all the framing of that statement ("... wasn't the reason for the struggles.") is built for excusing him. No one thing is ever THE reason for a football team's struggles.

More to the point, if he or his offense wasn't "the" problem (or, more accurately, a significant part of the problem), then there is no need to "do something different" at the HC spot. Otherwise, you have to admit that he was (a significant part of) the problem. The irony here is that they always accuse others of defending Rodgers from all blame!! Like... take a look in the mirror, pal.

You were vindicated by this season?? Oh man, this is just getting sad. Let me guess, more stat reductionism -- points-per-game, offense and defense?

Yes, great, let's explain away everything with numbers with 0 regard for context, like how that defense may have benefitted from an offense controls the ball better/wins the TOP battle! 'Nothing quite as illuminating as looking at stats in a vacuum.

I should probably stop responding to you after you called McCarthy's offense an air-raid system. That's a ludicrous concept. No one runs anything approaching an air raid system in the NFL. We didn't even throw the ball that much under McCarthy.

In 2012 Rodgers played in 16 games and was 10th in the league in attempted passes.

In 2014 Rodgers played in 16 game and was 14th in attempted passes.

In 2015 Rodgers played in 16 games and was 10th in attempted passes.

There is no air-raid being played here. This is a ridiculous idea.

3. Wonderful, fans wanted us to run Jones more. That has nothing to do with whether or not we were using Montgomery as a feature back. 

3b. Fans aren't complaining for Jones more because we're winning games and aren't looking for reasons to hate on and fire the coach. Jones in the second half of 2018 was playing the same reps as he has been in 2019. And let the record reflect, he ended up getting hurt in 2018.

If LaFleur was in his 4th year, we would all be complaining that he doesn't use modern concepts like the no huddle, runs too much on second down, and insists on playing non-threatening skill players like Marcedes Lewis way too much. 

4. I can say that we should fire LaFleur right now. That doesn't mean that by the time it needs to happen in 2027 that I can claim I was right. 

5. We needed to do something different because the working relationship between Rodgers and McCarthy had become toxic. Rodgers contract and overall value to the organization made him less replacable than McCarthy. 

6. Why would you say the offense controls the ball better and wind the TOP battle better? Our average drive length is only up 9 seconds. From 2:42 to 2:51 and that's due to running the ball more, not because we're giving the defense more time to actually rest. 

We ran 1051 defensive snaps this year. We ran 1064 last year. Less than 1 snap per game difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopher Trace said:

Anyone else seeing the irony of this post? No, just me?

Replying to your nonsense -- in my own, special way -- is not "melting the eff down." Just because I am more autistic than Outpost does not mean I am not 100%, completely calm while making these posts. :)

Oh yeah, you got me -- so wounded over people's opinions of me at a site I do not regularly visit! =(

Idk you still seem way pissed off about this and I don't really care if MM ends up coaching and being successful but I really believe he can be, not because of some fan boy loyalty, just based on what I saw from him overall as a coach, not perfect, not worthless. But then if any of us defend him it's some pissing match about who's more right about Mac and it all feels so personal, like someone wins a trophy if they can convince people he was always awful like they knew all along. Just don't think he was really that bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Oh wow, he pursued the first position but not the second. You showed me! 9_9

Considering you stated there's facts we know for sure and then half of them were false...

I actually think it's pretty clear he wasn't all in on coaching again right away but those who didn't like him just go HAHAAHHHAA HE'S A REJECT yet somehow a year goes by and he's not and it CAN'T be that he just decided waiting a year was better.

50 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If LaFleur was in his 4th year, we would all be complaining that he doesn't use modern concepts like the no huddle, runs too much on second down, and insists on playing non-threatening skill players like Marcedes Lewis way too much. 

This is the most accurate prediction of the future of Packers football ever typed out.

4 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Jerry Jones is not only the owner of the Cowboys he is also the club's GM.

And along with his son Stephen, Jerry controls every aspect of that organization.

Given that MM never uttered a dissenting word on how the former Packer GM went about building the Pack's roster during their time together in GB, one would think that Jerry would be thrilled about hiring another head coach who will never question how he conducts his business.

I know Jerry would be thrilled to have a coach who’d never question him. If I was a Cowboy fan I wouldn’t want that. The Boys under Jerry has the most progress with Jimny Johnson and Bill Parcells. They need a guy like that with enough clout to over rule Jerry, which we all know MM isn’t 

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Cowboys supposedly looking for experience over the hot new name.  If true, that seems to put MM firmly in the mix.

They are going high floor low ceiling if they  hire MM. not sure that’s the right move when you have a team built to win now.

5 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I know Jerry would be thrilled to have a coach who’d never question him. If I was a Cowboy fan I wouldn’t want that. The Boys under Jerry has the most progress with Jimny Johnson and Bill Parcells. They need a guy like that with enough clout to over rule Jerry, which we all know MM isn’t 

Jerry - being the Owner/GM and signer of all the checks - is a tough guy to overrule.

2 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

They are going high floor low ceiling if they  hire MM. not sure that’s the right move when you have a team built to win now.

He's highly accomplished as an NFL HC. Perfect? No. But he can get the job done IMO.

Just now, YaddaHolla said:

Yeah but they are basically getting another Jason Garrett. A yes man.

I'll always think MM a better HC than Jason Garrett.

"Yes Man" is an organizational term.

In GB his greatest gripe - one which he eventually made to the higher ups - was the GM wasnt listening to (or interested in) his personnel thoughts.

He's a HC. Doesnt want to be anything more than a HC - and he did a helluva job for the GBPs and its fans.

Could he use a creative OC? Yup. Will he be able to work with such a talent? I believe so.

ARs occasional sniping not with standing - he coached two top QB talents into multiple winning seasons, divisional dominance, playoff and SB success.

Was it time to move on at the end? Yes. Doesnt diminish his accomplishments and skills.