Offseason Thread

Elky

I could see Hightower being cut unfortunately. 

I recall reports last year of BB wanting to restructure Hightower and him being unwilling to do so. Personally I feel like the Pats will want to trade back from their 1st rounder but if a Hightower replacement is there they could also go in that direction. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, DoleINGout said:

Potentially Cut or Trade:

-Sanu (save $6.5 no cap hit, just hurt pride and a wasted second round pick)

-Jason McCourty (net save $3.8)

-Stephen Gostkowski (net save $3.5)

-Duron Harmon (net save $4)

-Donta Hightower (net save $9)

-Terrence Brooks (net save $1.5)

-Cody Kessler (net save ~$1)

-James White (net save $3.5)

Roughly $32 savings to work with if needed for any reason with these transactions.

Add Marcus Cannon to this total and it becomes a net savings of $37 mill. Enough for the moves quoted below...

On 1/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, DoleINGout said:

cut/trade: Sanu, White, Kessler (~$11)

replacement: taysom hill (~$12)

free agent: dorsett

replacement: damiere byrd

free agents: collins, van annoying

replacement: robbie quinn

free agent: watson

replacement: anthony firkser

should have roughly $35 million after all ^that^ to work with without cutting anyone else besides Sanu/White/Kessler just guessing salaries. that should be enough to re-sign Brady and Adam Butler (RESTRICTED free agent). Releasing or trading Gostkowski alone is enough of a savings to retain cheaper FA guys like Slater, Ebner, Bethel, and Folk on special teams. At least two of those four, and you could always substitute waiving Brooks for the cap to retain Bethel or Slater (if he doesn't retire, which seems unexpected).

You'll have to choose between Dev McCourty, Joe Thuney, Elandon Roberts, Ted Karras, and Danny Shelton however from those remaining FA's.

If it is determined David Andrews cannot return to football then maybe he is waived or his money is return to the team which would then ideally pay for the return of Karras at least.

Dev McCourty might retire, but if not, as great as he is as a leader I don't care a ton for him on the field. Roberts and/or Shelton should be affordable if they're not worried about McCourty and both can be had by moving on from Dev's brother Jason, (who was obviously inactive in the playoffs and lost his role by seasons end), and Duron Harmon.

Lastly, and least expectedly for me, is Donta Hightower. Moving him clears up enough cap room to easily sign rookies and maybe allocate to the roster formation elsewhere.

I expect Josh McDaniels to remain another season at least with Dante Scarnecchia especially in light of the loss of Joe Judge from the staff. Perhaps Chad O'Shea returns in some capacity.

So, much of the same team if all this happens, but a lot of different faces in key roles particularly in the linebacker core. Still another contender as I'd expect a less predictable offense with greater talent overall, a slightly less elite special teams coverage unit but still one that is very good and better at returns with Damiere Byrd, and a defensive front that can defend the run better all-around but needs to prove a lot as far defending the pass.

...and replacing Marcus Cannon at RT with Joe Thuney. The Patriots would still have a lot of leaders returning with Brady, Slater, Gilmore, Thuney, Edelman, Guy, Develin, and a host of other solid veterans sprinkled throughout the roster. I believe the Patriots could find themselves right back in Super Bowl contention again in 2021. The linebackers would be a scrutinized position leading up to the draft with Chase Winovich, John Simon, Ja'Whaun Bentley, and Elandon Roberts as the main starters and likely Patrick Chung playing more of a hybrid role closer to line of scrimmage more often. However, I think these guys would be okay with the acquisition of Quinn on the edge occasionally standing up to rush and fortify the edge against run plays. Depth is definitely a need but I believe it is expected that Winovich will step up in particular along with the rest of the crew around him. The safety group and offensive line will need the most TLC.

I think this is sort of what you're looking at:

Tom Brady?, Jarrett Stidham

Sony Michel, Rex Burkhead, Brandon Bolden, Damien Harris

James Develin?, Jakob Johnson

Anthony Firkser, Matt LaCosse

Tayson Hill, Julian Edelman?, Damiere Byrd, N'Keal Harry, Jakobi Meyers, Gunner Olszewski

Isaiah Wynn, Yodney Cajuste

Ted Karras, Hjalte Froholdt

David Andrews?

Shaq Mason

Joe Thuney, Jermaine Eluemunor

Matthew Slater, Nick Folk?, Jake Bailey, Joe Cardona, Justin Bethel, Nate Ebner, Brandon King

Stephon Gilmore, Jonathan Jones, Jason McCourty?

Duron Harmon?, Patrick Chung

Devin McCourty?, Terrence Brooks?

Joejuan Williams, JC Jackson

Chase Winovich

Ja'Whaun Bentley, Rookie/FA?

Elandon Roberts, Rookie/FA?

Robert Quinn?, Keionta Davis

Lawrence Guy, Byron Cowart

Danny Shelton, Adam Butler

John Simon, Deatrich Wise

17 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Idk why we would cut Sanu. He isnt the first and wont be the last mid season trade to struggle picking up a new offense on the fly. Give the dude a full offseason of work. No need to cut him after trading a 2nd rounder for him. 

Cuz it's as much about the lack of creating separation independently, (in the slot no less), as it is about a learning curve by coming in midseason, if not more so. With all of the free agents, assuming Brady returns, there is almost a need to cut Sanu because there is no cap hit and a $6.5 million dollar savings. It was a bad trade from the onset and it's better to spend the money elsewhere, unless Brady does not return and the necessity to save is less.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Anyone think there is a realistic shot at Crennel returning to the Patriots staff for a year or so? Texans struggled defensively lately but it might help take some of the load off of Belichick.

Apparently considering retirement or returning to the Texans in a senior assistant type of role. As for the latest on Tom Brady, there is this...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/tom_brady_reportedly_prepared_to_discuss_a_future_with_teams_other_than_patriots/s1_14819_31085846

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Anyone think there is a realistic shot at Crennel returning to the Patriots staff for a year or so? Texans struggled defensively lately but it might help take some of the load off of Belichick.

Nah, the game passed him by. If we bring him back, it should be an advisor role or something.

20 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Apparently considering retirement or returning to the Texans in a senior assistant type of role. As for the latest on Tom Brady, there is this...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/tom_brady_reportedly_prepared_to_discuss_a_future_with_teams_other_than_patriots/s1_14819_31085846

Feels like the fans are in the middle of a nasty divorce.

47 minutes ago, Elky said:

Nah, the game passed him by. If we bring him back, it should be an advisor role or something.

That's essentially the only position suited for Crennel at this point. I think he'd be fine for this season on the Patriots with Belichick, Belchick, and Mayo. However, it appears as though it is the Texans or retirement for Crennel.

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Idk why we would cut Sanu. He isnt the first and wont be the last mid season trade to struggle picking up a new offense on the fly. Give the dude a full offseason of work. No need to cut him after trading a 2nd rounder for him. 

Sanu actually managed to add a negative element to the passing game. Trading a 2nd for him in the first place was pathetic, simply put. If he doesn't acclimate himself to the system by the end of next preseason, they need to eat that 2nd rounder and move on. I have my doubts he will....

• Like 1

Sanu's second game with the Patriots was pretty good. Then he hurt his ankle on a punt return, it was reported to be a high ankle sprain, and never seemed to be able to run after that. It is entirely possible that he never completely recovered from the ankle injury. 

7 hours ago, jofos said:

Sanu's second game with the Patriots was pretty good. Then he hurt his ankle on a punt return, it was reported to be a high ankle sprain, and never seemed to be able to run after that. It is entirely possible that he never completely recovered from the ankle injury. 

could maybe justify giving up a third based on the pursuit of a title, but giving up a second was dumb. even if the pats will continue to draft busts in the second round, the value was absurd. sanu has struggled with separation his entire career and up until becoming a fourth option on the falcons he routinely struggled with drops.

34 minutes ago, JonMcC2018 said:

I'm increasingly coming round to the idea that Brady is leaving the Pats. Sounds as though Brady wants a bigger, better contract and Bill isn't inclined to give it to him.

I'm not convinced we even can without gutting some big contracts and degrading the team overall.  If he goes, I'd imagine it's somewhere with a solid run game, nice weapons, and a good line.  I can't see him wanting to stick it out with another group of scrubs on O and a patchwork O-line.