Offseason Thread

Elky

24 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Idk if that's totally fair, Jimmy had a higher passer rating and more touchdowns than Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers this season.  Yeah it was a down year for those guys but you could make a case the season Jimmy just had would be above average in either's career. 

I think we need to make a distinction between level of play and volume production.  Jimmy is not asked to do as much as some of the other guys because he's got a great running game and a great defense.  Doesnt mean he isnt playing at a high level. 

At the end of the day, a 100+ passer rating on a 13-3 team is a really good season and not Rex Grossman like.

One of these is Jimmy and one of these is Brad Johnson in 2002

G Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Y/G Rate
16 329 476 69.1 3978 27 13 248.6 102
14 281 451 62.3 3049 22 6 234.5 92.9

19 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I just can't see it. 

For one thing we actually NEED him. Who else is out there? For him, I doubt he wants this dramatic shift this late in his career. All the upheaval of moving, learning a whole new system and playbook, learning to gel with his new WRs (which is apparently damned hard), he won't be the 'guy' in a new locker room straight away etc. 

He's ours.

He's Tom ******* Brady. The locker room is going to roll out the red carpet for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Even this is overstating Jimmy at this point in time. He is a game manager right now. He is Trent Dilfer on the 2000 Ravens. He is Rex Grossman on the 06 Bears. He is Brad Johnson on the 02 Bucs. 

No, just no. Dilfer was so meaningless to that team he became the first quarterback to start and win the Super Bowl and not be on the roster the following season. Grossman was a total liability to Chicago.

Jimmy makes SF better. They were terrible before the trade and he went undefeated with them. The ended up picking top 5 after he blew out his knee. Now they're in the Super Bowl with him back. He's a franchise quarterback.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Yes, but in the same way that Jared Goff is a franchise QB. There is obvious talent but not necessarily consistency or dependability.

Goff is a liablity to his team. Jimmy makes his team better.

12 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

So if Brady bails on us (I don't think he will) then realistically, what happens at QB?

Well this is the biggest FA class of tenured QB's ever it seems like. And the draft is of course an option as usual... and then there is Taysom Hill...if Jarrett Stidham busts.

Edited by DoleINGout

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Well this is the biggest FA class of tenured QB's ever it seems like. And the draft is of course an option as usual... and then there is Taysom Hill...if Jarrett Stidham busts.

I just looked up Stidhams college stats. He doesn't seem like he was spectacular by any means.

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Jimmy is overrated. He threw eight passes in the entire NFC Championship and the team won. I think Nathan Pederman could have been the QB and the Niners would have won that game.

I will forever be grateful Garoppolo was traded away. He is not the answer.

But Brissett for Dorsett? No. Just no. Why!!!

I'll revisit this after the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

I just looked up Stidhams college stats. He doesn't seem like he was spectacular by any means.

Whose who?

Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
QB 2 3 5 60 26 5.2 -3.8 0 1 63.7
QB 4 12 15 80 103 6.9 6.9 0 0 137.7
QB 12 200 323 61.9 2427 7.5 7 14 10 133.1
QB 11 180 295 61 2217 7.5 7.7 16 6 138

QB 10 75 109 68.8 1265 11.6 13 12 2 199
QB 14 246 370 66.5 3158 8.5 8.8 18 6 151
QB 13 224 369 60.7 2794 7.6 7.9 18 5 137.7

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I'll revisit this after the Super Bowl.

What is there to revisit? How Garoppolo completed six passes in the NFC Championship and played with a lead the entire game in what ended up being a blowout?

Jimmy G is fine. But I'm glad he isn't the one the Patriots went with instead of Brady. I have thought there were many qualified replacements for Brady in recent years. Jimmy? Meh.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

What is there to revisit? How Garoppolo completed six passes in the NFC Championship and played with a lead the entire game in what ended up being a blowout?

Jimmy G is fine. But I'm glad he isn't the one the Patriots went with instead of Brady. I have thought there were many qualified replacements for Brady in recent years. Jimmy? Meh.

We don't know what he's going to do against the Chiefs. He carried the team on his back through the middle part of the season when they were depleted by injury, so we know he's capable of doing it for stretches. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

We don't know what he's going to do against the Chiefs. He carried the team on his back through the middle part of the season when they were depleted by injury, so we know he's capable of doing it for stretches. 

I think Kittle carries the offense with Juszcyk, arguably the best offensive line, a great play caller, a great running game stocked with depth, and All-Pro defensive end Nick Bosa leading the best defense in the NFL.

• Like 1