Offseason Thread

Elky

2 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

I just looked up Stidhams college stats. He doesn't seem like he was spectacular by any means.

Have you ever watched Auburn's offense? His sophomore year he was the best in the country on play action passes Jr year the team was bad. But either way he didn't really fit what Auburn's offense ask the QB to do.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I think Kittle carries the offense with Juszcyk, arguably the best offensive line, a great play caller, a great running game stocked with depth, and All-Pro defensive end Nick Bosa leading the best defense in the NFL.

Gee, that arrangement sounds remarkably like a certain other QB we know... 🤔

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

One of these is Jimmy and one of these is Brad Johnson in 2002

G Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Y/G Rate
16 329 476 69.1 3978 27 13 248.6 102
14 281 451 62.3 3049 22 6 234.5 92.9

Tbf I think if brad Johnson had put up those kind of numbers consistently and been a starter consistently he’d be viewed a lot differently, those are respectable numbers even today and were very good numbers 15-20 years ago.  Those are similar or better than Brady’s numbers in 2002 if extrapolated over 16 games and Brady led the league in TD that year 

It’s like saying Tom Brady was a journeyman because he put up similar numbers to that one year Nick Foles went off... if Foles had 27:2 TD:INT every year he’d be a Hall of Famer 

I’d also say Johnson was a clear step above the Grossmans and Dilfers of the world

Jimmy has started 26 games and has a career 100 passer rating.  That would be the 3rd best all time.  I get it’s not the be all end all and there is a huge inflation factor with this day and age, but comparing him to Rex grossman is a bit much 

I bet Bill wishes he had that 2nd round pick to find another hidden gem like Jimmy...

I do wonder if we draft a QB again this year. You'd assume we'll use our 1st on something like a lineman or weapon. Will have to be at best 3rd round, and I doubt there's much point trying to find your heir late 3rd and below.

(please don't mention the fluke that was Brady in 6th)

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I been sayin' that... but I expected it more two years ago with the TB12/Deflategate drama than I do now. Carr is coming off a very good season.

Carr was terrible this year. Don’t box score scout. Carr only throws the football if a guy is open by 4+ yards. He is the worst tight window thrower in the NFL. He also is a D- when it comes to pocket presence where Brady is an A+. 

10 hours ago, Starless said:

Gee, that arrangement sounds remarkably like a certain other QB we know... 🤔

Really? I don't remember Brady being such an afterthought on such a stacked team. I don't even know if Brady in 2001 was as privileged with a great team and asked to do as little as Jimmy G. The Shanahan scheme is unlike anything the Patriots offense has been at any point with Weis, O'Brien, or McDaniels.

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr was terrible this year. Don’t box score scout.

Such an overreaction to say Carr was terrible this year. Bay, you aren't a Raiders fan, are you? I don't even know how to box score scout, whatever that would be. But I have seen him play and he is not a bad QB. Like you, I think Carr is good enough on the Patriots for the team to make a run to the Super Bowl.

25 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Such an overreaction to say Carr was terrible this year. Bay, you aren't a Raiders fan, are you? I don't even know how to box score scout, whatever that would be. But I have seen him play and he is not a bad QB. Like you, I think Carr is good enough on the Patriots for the team to make a run to the Super Bowl.

I’ve seen all the full games of the past three years. Carr is the most conservative QB in the league. Always Bottom 5 in Air Yards. 10 yards and less is his comfort zone. He will only throw if a guy is wideeee open. He is 100% a beta male personality. He has little pocket presence and gets happy feet under pressure. Very little mobility. 

His high completion % comes from throwing well short of the chains on 3rd downs. Chris Simms breaks this down. Basically Sam Bradford from 2016. 

I’m a Raider fan. Which is why I’m not a Derek Carr homer. Honestly he’s a Bottom 8-9 QB in the league if you rank all 32 of them. 

Stop looking at highlights bro. Seriously. How many full Raider games have you watched?

I have almost zero doubts we’ll bring Brady or draft a QB in the 1st. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Chris Simms breaks this down.

The be all and end all.

Very little mobility.

In the pocket? Eh. Overall? False; Carr is in the upper echelon of starting QB's in terms of athleticism and scrambling.

He is 100% a beta male personality.

I cannot take this seriously.

He will only throw if a guy is wideeee open.

...maybe he has a tendency to? Otherwise, this is just an exaggeration.

I’ve seen all the full games of the past three years.

I've more or less seen every Patriots game over the last two decades. I cannot remember most of the games, what the situations were, how I viewed the game at different times, nor can I analyze specific plays based off of memory alone. I give you credit for being turned into the Raiders games, but just because someone has seen more of something doesn't really mean much to me in the grand scheme of things. There are a lot of fans who I don't think evaluate teams or players or situations very well especially without their emotions and reactions being extreme and factoring into the equation.

I’m a Raider fan.

You are!?! I know.

Which is why I’m not a Derek Carr homer.

Not sure how this is relevant but clearly you do not think much of Carr.

How many full Raider games have you watched?

Well... I saw the Raiders dismantle the Jets a few years ago from the 50 yard line several rows back in the first bowl section. Raiders fans, and that game day experience, are truly unique. If I weren't a Patriots fan, I would be proud to be a Raiders fan based off of that experience alone.

I have almost zero doubts we’ll bring Brady or draft a QB in the 1st. 

Brady or first round QB. Well, I could see either so...

Stop looking at highlights bro.

Okay, so don't watch any good plays anymore? I'll focus on just the lowlights from now on. I'm sure that alone is healthy.

Seriously.

:ph34r:

Honestly he’s a Bottom 8-9 QB in the league if you rank all 32 of them. 

Kind of subjective thing to try to do. Darn near impossible to do since it is, you know, all a matter of circumstance and opinion.

Basically Sam Bradford from 2016. 

I remember Sam Bradford. I don't remember 2016 specifically. I remember Bradford has one of the worst offensive lines coming up from his rookie year, and the Rams were super dysfunctional giving him many different offensive coordinators and coaches. I also remember Bradford was given the "injury-prone" label after a while because he kept getting beaten up.

Carr is the most conservative QB in the league.

While I wouldn't say Carr is the most conservative because I don't think that is true, taking care of the football works for a team like the Patriots or 49ers or Ravens or Titans or Bills that are actually good on both sides of the ball. It almost worked well enough for the Raiders but they're recovering from their Khalil Mack trade still on defense.

Carr is the most conservative QB in the league. Always Bottom 5 in Air Yards. 10 yards and less is his comfort zone.

Stats are often, if not always, a reflection of the teams scheme in some form or fashion. That Carr may be low in air yards isn't necessarily bad for a team. The Raiders under Gruden especially are structured to operate in a relatively "conservative" way with an emphasis on tight ends and running backs. The Raiders wide receivers this past season were primarily possession receivers who operated best out of slot prior to joining the team, (Hunter Renfrow & Tyrell Williams). Prior to 2019, Carr was adjusting to his first season in a new scheme whilst injured for parts with a head coach who had been out for years doing national television. To put everything on Carr is just the way of a lot of Raiders fans it seems. Is Carr everything the Raiders wanted him to be after the initial hype? No, probably not.

Do I agree with you that Carr could be on the Patriots and succeed as far as winning more often? Absolutely.

Edited by DoleINGout

You need to watch all plays, not just good plays. Mariota has good box scores as well? You think he’s good?? Easily a Bottom 3 QB in the NFL. 

Also, Carr has been conservative his entire career dating back to college. Five coaching staffs. His 2016 season is one of the most massively overrated of all time. He was still a dink and dunker and absolute checkdown master that year. He gets overrated because of the comebacks and TD/INT Ratio. He still had a 7.0 YPA and very conservative. Dalton was also a Top 3 MVP candidate with a similar season the year before. 

Also, Carr in the upper echelon of mobility? You lost all credibility with that comment. I have never even heard the biggest Carr homers say anything close to that. Yeesh. 

And for your information, this is not an unpopular opinion. Our forum is dead split 50-50 on ridding us of Carr. Raider Fan forums is like 80-20 in favor of ridding him. And there is constant Carr articles this year and last year about moving on. You won’t see that about most QBs. 

Carr is a game manager, a very conservative one. People think otherwise just because he has a strong arm. He has never once thrown a ball in a tight window. The only footage of it happening is the Pro Bowl. 

Edited by BayRaider

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You need to watch all plays, not just good plays. Mariota has good box scores as well? You think he’s good?? Easily a Bottom 3 QB in the NFL. 

Also, Carr has been conservative his entire career dating back to college. Five coaching staffs. His 2016 season is one of the most massively overrated of all time. He was still a dink and dunker and absolute checkdown master that year. He gets overrated because of the comebacks and TD/INT Ratio. He still had a 7.0 YPA and very conservative. Dalton was also a Top 3 MVP candidate with a similar season the year before. 

Also, Carr in the upper echelon of mobility? You lost all credibility with that comment. I have never even heard the biggest Carr homers say anything close to that. Yeesh. 

And for your information, this is not an unpopular opinion. Our forum is dead split 50-50 on ridding us of Carr. Raider Fan forums is like 80-20 in favor of ridding him. And there is constant Carr articles this year and last year about moving on. You won’t see that about most QBs. 

Carr is a game manager, a very conservative one. People think otherwise just because he has a strong arm. He has never once thrown a ball in a tight window. The only footage of it happening is the Pro Bowl. 

1. I have not watched every play of anybody, including Brady, as a Patriots fan.

2. I have not watched only good or only bad plays to formulate an opinion on Derek Carr.

3. Marcus Mariota is not a bottom 3 QB in the NFL. I think he is okay, but I knew he and Jameis Winston would not live up to their college hype or draft pedigree.

4. Until this season, Carr has had nothing but turnover at the OC position in Oakland.

5. I'm well aware of the schism in Raiders Nation over Carr. He is pretty much a love/hate guy there.

6. Never thrown a tight window pass, huh? This is an interesting claim and criticism at the same time. You brought up my credibility...

7. Derek Carr is athletic and mobile. Kind of obvious.