Offseason Thread

Elky

8 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

If they're doing that, it would be for Tua. And Tua would have to fall far enough. I don't think Herbert is on the radar. The Patriots' mold of QBs is attention to detail, and doing the little things well. Herbert is the exact opposite of that. 

I think they should/would even consider it for a guy like Isaiah Simmons if he falls past 10.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Donta Hightower and Chandler Jones. One of them they traded up for.

your right

No. 21: Cincinnati → New England (D). Cincinnati traded this selection to New England for their first (27th) and third round (93rd) selections this year

No. 25: Denver → New England (D). Denver traded this selection to New England for their first (31st) and fourth round (126th) selections this year.

With that said do any of you think Bill is strongly considering a QB at all, or do you guys get the sense that Stidham is a real long-term option based on all that you guys have heard? 

I guess the better way of phrasing it was that when the Patriots drafted Garoppolo, it was clear that in his first training camp, they knew they had a player. Did you guys get that sense last training camp?

If not, who do you guys view as potential fits at QB in rounds 2-5?

On 4/21/2020 at 10:40 AM, DoleINGout said:

I think the Patriots will use their picks to trade for at least two players. There are a lot of guys on the trade block right now and the Pats have a ton of late picks and three thirds. I expect a trade out of 23 for a second and third as well.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/04/raiders-pj-hall-trade-rumors/

Pats were really interested in PJ Hall during the pre-draft process.

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

With that said do any of you think Bill is strongly considering a QB at all, or do you guys get the sense that Stidham is a real long-term option based on all that you guys have heard? 

I guess the better way of phrasing it was that when the Patriots drafted Garoppolo, it was clear that in his first training camp, they knew they had a player. Did you guys get that sense last training camp?

Finding it hard to say. I've been staunch NO for most of the off-season, but I can see him trading up if one of them start dropping....

59 minutes ago, Starless said:

If the Dolphins want Thuney, they better cough up the Steelers pick. 

Lions/Quinn+Patricia could trade their second round pick for Thuney and maybe one other asset, be it a player or pick. Right now, I have the Pats mocked to trade Thuney for their second because the Lions need line help and reportedly the Pats aren't close to Thuney on an extension. Works for both sides. I have Ezra Cleveland being the replacement for Thuney. Economical choice. I'd give this plan an A- or B+ grade.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

do you guys get the sense that Stidham is a real long-term option

Yes, but the Pats are all about competition and only have two guys on the roster at the moment. One of those guys is Brian Hoyer. Expect Jake Fromm in the second round after the Patriots trade Joe Thuney or trade down from 23.

23 hours ago, football guy said:

Trying to poll what some of you guys think in terms of how the Patriots operate. If Herbert falls past 6, do you think the Patriots would move up for him? 

I know Belichick usually looks to collect picks, but we're also in unprecedented times. There's been chatter that the Patriots want to shift to more of an athletic QB post-Brady, and when you consider some of their values (dating back to the Bill Parcells QB rules, which Herbert passes 7-out-of-7), it feels like a fit.

I'm not sure they would move into the top 10, but can you see the Patriots packaging picks and/or players to move into the top 15?

Absolutely zero chance.  There so many factors why not.

1 We have more holds than Swiss Cheese

2. We have the same QB on the roster. Hope he's better :D

3. Build for future, if QB stinks high draft pick next year. IMO we are not going to the SB !!!!

4. Next year is were it will start. Draft choices and Cap 130+ mil.

5. This draft is loaded. We need more picks not less. Take a look at 2nd RD. If you were to cut and past the top 15 2nd RD and replaced the bottom 15 in the 1st round you wouldn't think twice of the players selected. WR 4/5  RD talent.

Edited by m haynes

23 hours ago, football guy said:

Yes  He played well. Compared to the guys picked in front of him in the draft. He's was All Pro. Make sure everyone understand the a comparison to the rookies drafted in his class.

BB will take a QB late in the draft. He will  next year if he needs a QB. Better draft pick do do so if Sid bombs and can't waste picks in this loaded draft

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

So no third QB yet. Do they chase a veteran? Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton.

UDFA J'Mar Smith from La Tech is the third QB.

I also like the signing of Will Hastings, Good speed, runs routes well, nice hands, and is tough as nails. 

4 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Trent Williams for a 3rd and 5th.

Hopkins for David Johnson.

Different circumstances, obviously, but it seems every trade going makes Sanu for a 2nd look frickin' terribad.

Good reminder, but that was obvious right away for any fan with a shred of objectivity.