Offseason Thread

Elky

On 6/10/2020 at 3:29 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Hands. Blocking. RAC is above average. Catch radius is above average.

The only thing he doesn't do well is separate, but he separates in the air when the ball is thrown, if that makes sense.

I think Harry will be good. He wasn't an elite prospect, but he wasn't overdrafted either. You're making a judgment on the kid way too soon IMO.

I go right back to my point. It was in college at Arizona ST. He is slow its a fact.  What worked in college will not translate. His catch radius and Rac is a thing of the past when he goes up against the big boys in the NFL. Also to take WR in the 1st rd IMO is foolish. I don't care where draftnics think he should go in the draft.

IMO size and blocking is the Pats MO for WR and that why they suck drafting them.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:57 AM, m haynes said:

He is slow its a fact.

N'Keal Harry is not slow. Maybe not a burner by NFL standards, but definitely capable of outrunning NFL defenders.

What worked in college will not translate.

What worked in college has already translated in the games where Harry was healthy and featured in the offense.

His catch radius and Rac is a thing of the past when he goes up against the big boys in the NFL.

Those are his two biggest assets and neither disappeared against the Titans. Harry's run after catch ability and large catch radius are precisely what allowed him to have any success thus far.

Also to take WR in the 1st rd IMO is foolish. I don't care where draftnics think he should go in the draft.

I don't think it is foolish to take a wide receiver in the first round.

IMO size and blocking is the Pats MO for WR and that why they suck drafting them.

The Patriots generally have "undersized" receivers if anything, and yes, blocking is important to them, but it isn't the reason why they suck at drafting wide receivers. The Patriots just suck at drafting in general; their evaluation of prospects in relation to the draft order is confounding.

Edited by DoleINGout

21 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

N'Keal Harry is not slow. Maybe not a burner by NFL standards, but definitely capable of outrunning NFL defenders.

What worked in college has already translated in the games where Harry was healthy and featured in the offense.

Those are his two biggest assets and neither disappeared against the Titans. Harry's run after catch ability and large catch radius are precisely what allowed him to have any success thus far.

I don't think it is foolish to take a wide receiver in the first round.

The Patriots generally have "undersized" receivers if anything, and yes, blocking is important to them, but it isn't the reason why they suck at drafting wide receivers. The Patriots just suck at drafting in general; their evaluation of prospects in relation to the draft order is confounding.

I basically disagree with every response.  I will mentioned two. Harry is slow. He has no chance of out running anyone in the NFL. He's lucky to beat  Joejuan Williams in a foot race!  Fact, check his combine numbers. Pats have small receivers your right however they draft mostly LARGE in WRs in the ( high picks )  DRAFT.  They end up with small guys because they whiffed in the draft or have to go with smaller guys that are available. Take a look at the UDFA this year,  they average about 3ft tall!

N'Keal Harry

6-4, 225lb

Aaron Dobson

6-3, 210lb

Taylor Price

6-0, 204lb

Brandon Tate

6-1, 195lb

Chad Jackson

6-1, 210lb

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Taylor Price

6-0, 204lb

Brandon Tate

6-1, 195lb

Chad Jackson

6-1, 210lb

Those aren't "size" guys. Don't forget Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, David Givens, Matthew Slater, Braxton Berrios, and Josh Boyce. All under 6.

Only receivers with "size" that they drafted are Dobson, Harry, and Mitchell.

Edited by DoleINGout

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

@DoleINGout:

"What worked in college has already translated in the games where Harry was healthy and featured in the offense.

Those are his two biggest assets and neither disappeared against the Titans. Harry's run after catch ability and large catch radius are precisely what allowed him to have any success thus far."

Not sure it is possible to disagree with those two points I made.

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Those aren't "size" guys. Don't forget Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, David Givens, Matthew Slater, Braxton Berrios, and Josh Boyce. All under 6.

Only receivers with "size" that they drafted are Dobson, Harry, and Mitchell.

Read what i said. 

Pats have small receivers your right however they draft mostly LARGE in WRs in the ( high picks )  DRAFT.  They end up with small guys because they whiffed in the draft or have to go with smaller guys that are available. Take a look at the UDFA this year,  they average about 3ft tall!

Come on, any WR over 6ft is considered big.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was excited to to see the new Harry after his training to improve his WR skills. Found this clip and was disappointed. I still see the same flaws. Too many steps, rounded brakes and still runs like a duck.   Yes I know its a small sample and I'm hope I'm reading it wrong however I have to go with my eyes and gut.  We need him desperately if he is just avrage we will struggle in the passing game.

I just want to make it clear. I have nothing against Harry. I want him to succeed however I can't close my eyes to what I have seen so far. I hope I'm completely wrong

Cam Newton works with new teammate N'Keal Harry at throwing session | Yardbarker

" runs like a duck "  = My son ran track and he said his coach used this term when someone pushed off with his feet turned out while running.

On 12/07/2020 at 3:28 PM, m haynes said:

Well I was excited to to see the new Harry after his training to improve his WR skills. Found this clip and was disappointed. I still see the same flaws. Too many steps, rounded brakes and still runs like a duck.   Yes I know its a small sample and I'm hope I'm reading it wrong however I have to go with my eyes and gut.  We need him desperately if he is just avrage we will struggle in the passing game.

I just want to make it clear. I have nothing against Harry. I want him to succeed however I can't close my eyes to what I have seen so far. I hope I'm completely wrong

Cam Newton works with new teammate N'Keal Harry at throwing session | Yardbarker

" runs like a duck "  = My son ran track and he said his coach used this term when someone pushed off with his feet turned out while running.

I'll reserve judgement about his footwork until we see it in a game. He might have been 85%ing this, which is fairly common in off-season private workouts. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the tiger couldn't change his stripes, but at the same time, I'm hoping his connection (mentally and physically) with Cam is easier than it was with TB. TB is the master and drives a hard line (apparently), maybe he'll find Cam easier to gel with...hopefully. We need him to step up and be a beast.