Offseason Thread

Elky

I get this weird feeling BB is gonna try to sign Melvin Gordon cause we like those vanilla RB's.  Gordon could do pretty well here though.  

Chargers could easily run with a duo RB committee with Justin Jackson as early down back + Ekeler.  As hype as everyone is about Ekeler, he's going to have similar production to James White at the end of the day and is not an every down RB.  Really doubt they'll bother trying to resign Gordon so, NE would be a solid place for Gordon to try and reignite his career as many first round busts try to do.  

Edited by bluemushrooms
swag
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, DoleINGout said:

Darren Fells ($5), Damiere Byrd ($2.5), Taysom Hill ($12), and... I'll say, Robert Quinn ($10) are official predictions of who I think will be signed. :o

On 1/6/2020 at 9:45 AM, DoleINGout said:

Return: Tom Brady, Matthew Slater, Nate Ebner, Nick Folk, Justin Bethel, Ted Karras, Elandon Roberts, Adam Butler.

These players returning combined with eight free agent signings would leave the Patriots with four less players than they currently have on the roster. Julian Edelman and Stephen Gostkowski have murky futures ahead with injury and performance declines, (admittedly Edelman has fewer questions as he will return if he chooses not to retire).

As for Gostkowski's future, Folk re-signing would provide competition and insurance if nothing else, plus be cheaper overall.

Potentially Cut or Trade:

-Sanu (save $6.5 no cap hit, just hurt pride and a wasted second round pick)

-Jason McCourty (net save $3.8)

-Stephen Gostkowski (net save $3.5)

-Duron Harmon (net save $4)

-Donta Hightower (net save $9)

-Terrence Brooks (net save $1.5)

-Cody Kessler (net save ~$1)

-James White (net save $3.5)

Roughly $32 savings to work with if needed for any reason with these transactions.

Edited by DoleINGout
Added in James White just because.

cut/trade: Sanu, White, Kessler (~$11)

replacement: taysom hill (~$12)

free agent: dorsett

replacement: damiere byrd

free agents: collins, van annoying

replacement: robbie quinn

free agent: watson

replacement: darren fells

should have roughly $35 million after all ^that^ to work with without cutting anyone else besides Sanu/White/Kessler just guessing salaries. that should be enough to re-sign Brady and Adam Butler (RESTRICTED free agent). Releasing or trading Gostkowski alone is enough of a savings to retain cheaper FA guys like Slater, Ebner, Bethel, and Folk on special teams. At least two of those four, and you could always substitute waiving Brooks for the cap to retain Bethel or Slater (if he doesn't retire, which seems unexpected).

You'll have to choose between Dev McCourty, Joe Thuney, Elandon Roberts, Ted Karras, and Danny Shelton however from those remaining FA's.

If it is determined David Andrews cannot return to football then maybe he is waived or his money is return to the team which would then ideally pay for the return of Karras at least.

Dev McCourty might retire, but if not, as great as he is as a leader I don't care a ton for him on the field. Roberts and/or Shelton should be affordable if they're not worried about McCourty and both can be had by moving on from Dev's brother Jason, (who was obviously inactive in the playoffs and lost his role by seasons end), and Duron Harmon.

Lastly, and least expectedly for me, is Donta Hightower. Moving him clears up enough cap room to easily sign rookies and maybe allocate to the roster formation elsewhere.

I expect Josh McDaniels to remain another season at least with Dante Scarnecchia especially in light of the loss of Joe Judge from the staff. Perhaps Chad O'Shea returns in some capacity.

So, much of the same team if all this happens, but a lot of different faces in key roles particularly in the linebacker core. Still another contender as I'd expect a less predictable offense with greater talent overall, a slightly less elite special teams coverage unit but still one that is very good and better at returns with Damiere Byrd, and a defensive front that can defend the run better all-around but needs to prove a lot as far defending the pass.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20200109/steve-doerschuk-expect-josh-mcdaniels-to-recommend-sweeping-browns-makeover

I dont think Brady returning is contingent upon mcdaniels staying but if gone to the browns with caserio too potentially and maybe even dante scarnecchia retiring for good then i think it is more likely kraft and the pats truly consider alternatives as at that point it may be mutually beneficial for both sides to start anew 

If AJ Green, Amari Cooper, and Melvin Gordon are all available free agents we need to go out and be hella aggressive and sign at least 1 of the WR's and Gordon. We should go all out on the offensive weapons for Tom this off season, focus on offense in the Draft too.

Do what the Packers did in the off-season last year with their struggling defense they went all out defense, we gotta do the same with our offense. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

No way we cut White. I think Brady will actually combust.

no this time he would just leave haha

it's the same theory and principles behind what I anticipated two off-seasons ago. after the Super Bowl loss to the Eagles, as far as Brady leaving or retiring (or two years ago hypothetically being traded), it is a matter of what precipitates these moves. If two years ago the Pats successfully completed their trade of Gronk to the Lions then there likely would have been a great domino affect that would have caused the roster to start to turnover from other key guys, much to your point about Brady combusting if James White were to leave. 

There was much to say about Brady and his TB12 stuff and personal trainer and Edelman being involved and Gronk too and Belichick disallowing certain privileges and how this was all affecting the team. None of that is a problem now but Brady is a free agent this time so any potential moves like White or McDaniels or Scarnecchia leaving could influence his decision. 

If McDaniels were to get the Browns job and take it, (in the state he grew up in), with reportedly Nick Caserio going with him, then that is noteworthy. Scarnecchia supposedly wouldn't have been back here if not for McDaniels rejecting the Colts HC offer. If you lose pretty much the rest of the coaching staff and Caserio then the Pats as an organization may make roster moves like the White one, (or the Gronk one they tried to execute with the Lions), to turn the team over a bit which as I said would have to impact Brady's choice to leave or stay somehow.

Edited by DoleINGout