End of the Patriots era?

rocky_rams

The Patriots era ended in the Superbowl. I know they won so it clouded people judgement but two things can be true at the same time. They won the Superbowl and their dynasty ended. The dynasty is really Brady because he is the "Patriot way". He was a shell of himself for all but one drive in the Superbowl and he wasnt himself the entire season. The only reason the Patriots won the division and still won 12 games was because they feasted on an easy schedule. Off the top the played the Dolphins and Jets twice. They played the Bengals twice and we know the NFC East was a joke. Then they played the dysfunctional Browns and the Steelers which we know they own and it was the first game of which the Steelers had to adjust to life without AB and Bell. So the Patriots had a catered schedule for their defense and special teams to feast off and their offense just had to be "OK" in order to win and they did.

I can make a case that the Rams had a better season than the Patriots. If you gave the Rams the Patriots schedule and swap divisions and the Rams would win the AFC East with practically the same 12 wins at worst 11 wins. The Patriots would finish 3rd in the NFC West with 9 wins. They wouldve gotten swept by the Seahawks and Niners and split by the Cards. They still wouldve played the AFC North so Baltimore wouldve still won. The Saints wouldve beaten the Patriots and I think the the Falcons and/or Bucs couldve won too. 

Now with all that said, in the offseason if the Patriots approach it correctly with getting weapons at receiver and tight end. If the Patriots can continue to improve the oline and get healthy and figure out what they want to do at QB, I think they still will be a playoff team and win the AFC East. I dont think the AFC East will become the NFC West over night so the Patriots still will the favorites in that division. They get into the playoffs and with Belichick they always have a shot. Its going to be interesting to see what they do at QB. My guess is they move on from Brady and I would go draft a QB. Their schedule is going to be harder next season so I dont expect 12 wins though. But as of the Superbowl against the Rams, the dynasty is over. No longer will I think Superbowl or bust for the Patriots coming into the season. Its AFC East or bust then its get to the playoffs and see what happens because they could get beat wildcard or divisional round and not even sniff the AFCCG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

You all watched the game.  The Pats WR stink, one of the worst group since 2001. TE they didn't have one.  The Pats need upgrade on 3 positions , WR, TE and NT.  IMO the result would of been different.  Brady's the GOAT and still is deadly but he does need some help !  Good God he had nothing to work with this year.

This year Brady took a beaten physically and ( WRs brain dead ) mentally.  Do you really think done. Give him weapons like KC , than answer the Question !

So essentially what you're saying is that the Patriots need to trade for OBJ from the Browns, sign AJ Green and draft Albert O and it's a wrap again next year? 

20 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

So essentially what you're saying is that the Patriots need to trade for OBJ from the Browns, sign AJ Green and draft Albert O and it's a wrap again next year? 

Pretty much! We had the Michigan waterboy (movie) playing this year. You know, the one that got knocked the fudge out !:D

Patriots actually have a lot of free agents to re-sign this year.  McCourty is the most underrated safety of this decade.  He's a free agent.  Van Noy is a free agent.  Slater, Dorsett, Collins are free agents.  Danny Shelton is a free agent.  Thuney is a free agent. 

I'm not buying the whole "Brady just needs weapons" argument.  When has their offense ever revolved around a WR? 

2018 - 32 percent of Brady's completions were to running backs.
2019 - 30 percent. 

I'm rambling here just throwing out random points, but...

Anybody who honestly buys that it wasn't Brady who held this team back this year has Brady blinders on.  The team was #1 in points against.  Not just #1 this year, but #1 THIS DECADE.

They allowed 14.4 points against.  The last team a team allowed less points against was the 2006 Ravens.  That's over a decade ago.  That's about 30 rule changes that benefit the offense ago. 

Tom Brady finished the year with 6.6 yards per attempt.  For comparison, Mitch Trubisky finished with 6.1. 

Brady couldn't manage a single point in the second half while his defense kept them from scoring, too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Patriots actually have a lot of free agents to re-sign this year.  McCourty is the most underrated safety of this decade.  He's a free agent.  Van Noy is a free agent.  Slater, Dorsett, Collins are free agents.  Danny Shelton is a free agent.  Thuney is a free agent. 

I'm not buying the whole "Brady just needs weapons" argument.  When has their offense ever revolved around a WR? 

2019 - 30 percent. 

I'm rambling here just throwing out random points, but...

Anybody who honestly buys that it wasn't Brady who held this team back this year has Brady blinders on.  The team was #1 in points against.  Not just #1 this year, but #1 THIS DECADE.

They allowed 14.4 points against.  The last team a team allowed less points against was the 2006 Ravens.  That's over a decade ago.  That's about 30 rule changes that benefit the offense ago. 

Tom Brady finished the year with 6.6 yards per attempt.  For comparison, Mitch Trubisky finished with 6.1. 

Brady couldn't manage a single point in the second half while his defense kept them from scoring, too. 

Patriot WRs dropped about 40 passes this season, including one that lost them the game last night. After they lost Gordon/Brown and Jules got hurt the WR corps was the worst I've seen since 2006. They just didn't get open, ever. It was appalling to watch.

They had back-ups playing LT, C and LG for most of the year, a LB playing FB and managed only 23 TE catches ALL SEASON. They also had a terrible run game.

Don't look at stats. Watch the games, Brady is the only reason the Patriots managed any offense at all most of the time. Look at last night, he was threading balls left and right to guys who covered. That third down throw to Edelman is one of the best passes anyone has thrown all year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

2019 - 30 percent. 

It revolves around people (drum roll...) doing their job. OL and receivers. Everything has been sub-par compared to last season and previous seasons on offense.

Why are you comparing 18 to this season? 18 had superior OL, a superior run game, Gronk, a non-injured Edelman, generally better depth throughout with fewer injuries. We had a top 5 OL by most people's counts last season, and throughout most of this season, Brady has been on skates. 

Brady certainly isn't what he was, not disputing that, but he's not close to the main issue or anything. 

How in the damn how are people acting like the Patriots are what's done and not Brady? 

12 times (including yesterday) on the season they had to score 15 points to win the game. 

And speaking of Brady, here are his numbers against the playoff teams he's played this season:

163/285 - 1626 - 6TD 5INT

57%, 5.7 yards per attempt.  

The rest of his competition?  

Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Redskins, Giants, Jets, Browns, Cowboys, Bengals, Dolphins

So if you were to list his opponents based on their draft position, here is his competition:

18th, 5th, 11th, 2nd, 4th, 11th, 10th, 17th, 1st, 5th.