End of the Patriots era?

rocky_rams

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

How in the damn how are people acting like the Patriots are what's done and not Brady? 

12 times (including yesterday) on the season they had to score 15 points to win the game. 

And speaking of Brady, here are his numbers against the playoff teams he's played this season:

163/285 - 1626 - 6TD 5INT

57%, 5.7 yards per attempt.  

The rest of his competition?  

Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Redskins, Giants, Jets, Browns, Cowboys, Bengals, Dolphins

So if you were to list his opponents based on their draft position, here is his competition:

18th, 5th, 11th, 2nd, 4th, 11th, 10th, 17th, 1st, 5th. 

So....Brady does an average job with average receivers against good teams but his numbers are propped up by bad teams and we should therefore disregard hin altogether because teams in the bottom half of the league allowed him to inflate numbers? 

Why isn't that same argument happening for a Drew Brees when he has a better offense and also got most of his better numbers against teams in the bottom half of the league? 

That type of reasoning can work for projecting a game or two, but a career? Nah. That's absurd. The Bills had one of the league's top D's, if not the top. Few had great games against them. Same with Baltimore. The Eagles stuffed runs like champions so that's never good for a QB. He played a good game against the Texans. KC was 8th against the pass. 

He had a down year by Brady standards. We'll probably never see 35-40 tds from him again. But with the offense he had this year, him putting up the numbers he did would have him bonafide top 8 in the league on several other teams and this conversation wouldn't even exist. 

It's one year with an offense somewhat devoid of weapons, where an older than dirt QB was still successful (or, at least he wasn't the big reason for their losses singlehandedly) and steered a bad offense to 12 wins and a playoff berth. That's called a down year for Brady and a success for most other QBs. 

And that's why people aren't jumping on the Brady's clearly done wagon. Stick his football smarts in an offense where he can simply manage the game, he's got 2-3 seasons left easily. Sure, he can't do what he used to as well, but less than stellar Brady is obviously still better than well over half of the QBs starting in the league right now. 

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

IMO most people consider the final championship win the last year of a dynasty. The other is sometimes related to dynasties and I guess it is interchangeable. But normally thats more "team of the ____". 

For example most people consider the Cowboys dynasty over in 1996 and also consider them the "team of the 90's". 

So the first thing you stated was the first thing i stated and then you simply renamed "dynasty of the xx's" to "team of the xx's".

Why did you say i was making stuff up then?

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm banking on a Gronk return next season - a year off allowed him to get his body right, and the guy probably doesn't need much to get into football shape. By the end of TC 2020, he'll be back.

Gronk plus a few new weapons on offense (New England will end up drafting a few WRs) will provide Brady with the resources needed to make a huge run next season.

I could see Gronk returning as well.

I think this is the end for the Patriots if Brady leaves.  Without Brady, I'm not sure how their QB even is.  If Brady returns and he gets some weapons people are kidding themselves if they think the Pats won't be a serious factor next season.

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Do you think Brady will play better next season than he did this year? There’s no reason why you can say yes.

Mcdaniels will be gone. They have nothing at the skill positions. That entire Lb core will be in their 30’s next year.

I would say yes definitely if he actually has offensive weapons.

and McDaniels ha completely benefited from Brady, not the other way around.

Edited by Pats#1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Patriots actually have a lot of free agents to re-sign this year.  McCourty is the most underrated safety of this decade.  He's a free agent.  Van Noy is a free agent.  Slater, Dorsett, Collins are free agents.  Danny Shelton is a free agent.  Thuney is a free agent. 

I'm not buying the whole "Brady just needs weapons" argument.  When has their offense ever revolved around a WR? 

2018 - 32 percent of Brady's completions were to running backs.
2019 - 30 percent. 

I'm rambling here just throwing out random points, but...

Anybody who honestly buys that it wasn't Brady who held this team back this year has Brady blinders on.  The team was #1 in points against.  Not just #1 this year, but #1 THIS DECADE.

They allowed 14.4 points against.  The last team a team allowed less points against was the 2006 Ravens.  That's over a decade ago.  That's about 30 rule changes that benefit the offense ago. 

Tom Brady finished the year with 6.6 yards per attempt.  For comparison, Mitch Trubisky finished with 6.1. 

Brady couldn't manage a single point in the second half while his defense kept them from scoring, too. 

I love how the Patriots defense is now elite after everyone crapped on them for the easiest schedule in years.

if you think Brady held this team back this season you obviously didn’t watch every game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Brady just needs a #1 scoring defense plus a great TE plus a great WR.  And that's all.  Plus a better offensive line.  And that's all. 

SpectacularFakeBoar-max-1mb.gif

Not a great TE and WR, a decent one. 

You’re hyperbole is ridiculous

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

How in the damn how are people acting like the Patriots are what's done and not Brady? 

12 times (including yesterday) on the season they had to score 15 points to win the game. 

And speaking of Brady, here are his numbers against the playoff teams he's played this season:

163/285 - 1626 - 6TD 5INT

57%, 5.7 yards per attempt.  

The rest of his competition?  

Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Redskins, Giants, Jets, Browns, Cowboys, Bengals, Dolphins

So if you were to list his opponents based on their draft position, here is his competition:

18th, 5th, 11th, 2nd, 4th, 11th, 10th, 17th, 1st, 5th. 

It’s so blatantly obvious you’re just Looking at box scores and don’t watch the games.

41 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

We also have to take into account the context that the Pats defense this year was incredible. Tom was never asked to do too much to win games. If the defense takes a step back next year which is certainly likely then Tom and the offense will have to make up the difference just to stay where they are now. 

So which is it, was the NE defense incredible or did they feast in easy teams in the first half of the season which inflated their numbers dramatically?

because for the majority of the season, actually up until this thread, most on this forum said the latter.

4 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

So which is it, was the NE defense incredible or did they feast in easy teams in the first half of the season which inflated their numbers dramatically?

because for the majority of the season, actually up until this thread, most on this forum said the latter.

They certainly benefited from the schedule but they were great. Outside of maybe 2 games they played well enough to win every game. No other team can say that as far as I know.

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

They certainly benefited from the schedule but they were great. Outside of maybe 2 games they played well enough to win every game. No other team can say that as far as I know.

While I think the Pats pass defense was definitely very good, the run defense was pretty bad, as proven last night. 

The Titans has multiple drives close to ten minutes long if I remember correctly.

I think the NE defense was exposed quite a bit over the second half of the season and last night. 

1 minute ago, Pats#1 said:

While I think the Pats pass defense was definitely very good, the run defense was pretty bad, as proven last night. 

The Titans has multiple drives close to ten minutes long if I remember correctly.

I think the NE defense was exposed quite a bit over the second half of the season and last night. 

I think exposed is a little too harsh. They gave up 14 points last night. Henry did run wild but it didn't result in that many points because of how great the secondary was. I said at the beginning of the season that I thought last year's Bears defense was better. I think that take was wrong but they were both fairly comparable. Not an all-time defense but a really strong #1 in the league defense.