A Dougie P Thread: Confidence in Pederson?

Phire

A thread about love, doug and the pursuit of happiness...with your head coach

giphy.gif

Doug Pederson with some optimistic and cautionary words on the Eagles team:

"You're capable. ... I look back at my time in Green Bay as a player when we were making those playoff runs and those Super Bowl runs there, and do we have as much talent on this team than we did then? We probably have more talent, right?" Pederson said, via ESPN.com.

"But we also had a lot of talent in [2011] here and where did that get us? So there's got to be a combination of blending all this talent with the coaching staff, with my ideas and philosophy, to bring that all together, put the egos aside, put pride aside, and just go focus on winning this game that we have in front of us. I'm a big believer [that] if you do that, then you look back at the end of the season and you're probably going to be where you want to be, and that's playing in the postseason."

Dougie P:

Last season, Pederson went for it on fourth down 27 times, most in the NFL. In fact, only two teams (the Texans with 23, and the Rams with 20) attempted to go for it 20 or more times in 2016. The 27 times Pederson went for it on fourth down matched the number of times Kelly went for it in 2014 and 2015, combined.

So, in conclusion, I'm personally on board with about 95 percent of the fourth down calls in which Pederson went for it last season. Pederson's aggression on fourth down a season ago should be applauded, not knocked.

The link looks at every 4th down call.

2 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

I would rather have a good punter and defense and punt the ball away on 4th and play the game of field position/stingy defense. 

There were definitely some questionable 4th down calls last year from Doug. Some of them get excused because they were converted, but not all of the ones we converted had a justifiable reason. But hey, at least we did convert... and some of them were legitimately decent calls that should have been made. I don't think we should be aggressive on 4th downs just for the sake of being aggressive, I'd like to see those calls being made strategically. The fact that we led the league by a huge margin in 4th down attempts might reasonably be attributed to Doug's inexperience last year.

On playcalling:

Doug Pederson considers offensive play-calling one of the perks of his job, which is why the Eagles coach doesn’t plan to surrender those duties anytime soon.

“After going through a year of calling a full season, it’s hard to give that up personally, selfishly,” Pederson said. “It’s fun, and you’re in control of the game. Being a quarterback and a former quarterback, you’re kind of in charge. You are. You’re calling the plays. You’re touching the ball every time. You’re part of the game, the whole fabric of the game. It’s just hard to give it up. I’m still kind of in my mind processing all of it, how it would work if I did that [give it up]. But as of right now, I’m not.”

He was a lackluster hire, I can't believe we let Adam Gase get away. But no use crying over spilt milk. The old saying goes "Hope for the best, expect the worst." That said, I think this teams success or lack thereof depends far more on the development of Carson Wentz than anything Doug Pederson does.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

He was a lackluster hire, I can't believe we let Adam Gase get away. But no use crying over spilt milk. The old saying goes "Hope for the best, expect the worst." That said, I think this teams success or lack thereof depends far more on the development of Carson Wentz than anything Doug Pederson does.

I see what you're saying. Hopefully Carson Wentz has the intangibles to be great. Doug also has to make sure Carson has the resources and guidance to develop as a QB mechanically and mentally.

33 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

What do you guys think would need to happen this year for Dougie to get the axe?

Something drastic would need to happen for Doug to get axed after this year. If our team sucks because of the DBs, I think that's a valid excuse. He inherited a team with awful corners and you can't fix that in one or two off-seasons. I think taking Sidney Jones who might have no impact this year kind of shows that there's wiggle room on the leash. That's not a "win now" type move at all, the Eagles organization is looking at things long-term.

Doug only gets axed if the Eagles have a horrific season (like 0-6 wins) and the team completely gives up on Doug, to an irreparable extent. Sometimes teams give up but fully support the coach. Doug gets axed if the team gives up and they aren't buying his message.

11 minutes ago, Phire said:

Something drastic would need to happen for Doug to get axed after this year. If our team sucks because of the DBs, I think that's a valid excuse. He inherited a team with awful corners and you can't fix that in one or two off-seasons. I think taking Sidney Jones who might have no impact this year kind of shows that there's wiggle room on the leash. That's not a "win now" type move at all, the Eagles organization is looking at things long-term.

Doug only gets axed if the Eagles have a horrific season (like 0-6 wins) and the team completely gives up on Doug, to an irreparable extent. Sometimes teams give up but fully support the coach. Doug gets axed if the team gives up and they aren't buying his message.

yea I think the issue is, who do you get to replace him anyway?

I agree it's hard to see him gone this year unless it really blows up.

But i think he's going to be given the chance to do something here. I think he leaves very similar to Jim Mora Sr in Indy or the man who replaced him Tony Dungy in Tampa, when the team is ready to compete at a high level he can't take them there. Which we are a year or two away, I think a realistic hope this year is a wildcard spot.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

yea I think the issue is, who do you get to replace him anyway?

If he were fired this year... probably an internal hire. Schwartz makes the most sense given he has actual HC experience. If Doug were fired mid-season for some reason, he's the likely guy to take things over (unless Reich has HC experience I'm forgetting). It's also possible we fire Doug without any sort of plan. I don't think we had much of a plan when we fired Andy or Doug. You go through the interviewing process and make a decision then, I think there's a big problem if our FO knew before firing Doug who they want as a replacement.

Archived