ML's Annual End of Year Mock Draft

Kmart128

Well we had a disappointing finish to the 2019 season. A season that had a lot of promise. I thought for sure we would have at least one playoff win but it just wasn't meant to be. So with that being said it is time for my yearly mock draft after the season. Should be an exciting one with about 90 million in cap space. We have plenty of free agents that we have to make a decision on and Tredavious White will be due for an extension in the near future. With that being said lets get started.

Resigning-

Image result for shaq lawson

Levi Wallace, CB- This is a no brainer he is a starter and a ERFA. He will be given 1 year at minimum. Huge bargain

Jordan Philips, DT- 4 Years 22 Million (5.5)-  Philips was a monster for us. Especially when Ed Oliver was struggling to get to the QB at the beginning of the year. With Philips in the picture we have two really good 3 techniques for years to come. He gives the team energy whether it be getting a key sack, pumping up the crowd, or celebrating with his teammates. We don't have many player like it and it would behoove us to keep him under contract. Despite his production he should come relatively cheap as he is an under the radar guy in the league. Oliver gets all the attention and Jordan was voted into probowl and/or all pro which could help us financially.

Shaq Lawson, DE- 5 Years 20 Million (4)- Shaq Lawson is coming off his best season as a Buffalo Bill. It is his contract year so we have to beware but he is our best DE at setting the edge and has finally started getting to the QB. Him and Trent Murphy had a good end to the regular season. They finished with 11.5 sacks combined from that DE spot in rotation. Lawson may never be that elite 10+ sack guy but he is very fundamentally sound and this is one player I think Sean liked from the Rex Ryan era.

Quinton Spain, OG- 3 Years 18 Million (6)- Spain is by far our best linemen When i noticed that we originally signed him that it was only for 1 year I was worried. He was a quality starter in Tennessee and the best Guard we got here since Richie Incognito. Spain was our most underrated signing of the year. Giving up zero sacks and playing in every game of the year. 

Kevin Johnson, CB- 2 Years 5 Million (2.5)- Another solid addition. He was once thought to be a bust but McDermott being a DB guru brought him in and turned him into a solid CB. There was times when Levi Wallace struggled and Kevin Johnson had to come in and out play him. He is a very solid depth player to have and if Wallace ever struggles again its good to have a talented play like Kevin on the roster for cheap.

Kevin Coleman, S  & Maurice Alexander LB,  & Corey Luiget DT- I decided to clump these guys together only because they will all be small deals under 1 million. These 3 offer really good depth. Coleman is a really good backup Safety. Alexander got hurt but he is a former safety and is valuable depth at the weak side LB position. Luiget came in and immediately helped our run defense.

Isaiah McKenzie WR/Returner- Original Round Tender- Another no brainer. He is a solid contributor both as a backup WR and a special teamer. Original round tender is a cheap contract and if a team takes him from us then we can either match or get a free 5th round draft selection. I don't think anyone is willing to pay McKenzie more than 2 million a year and give us a 5th round pick. 

CUTS-

rX54OGk.jpg 

Trent Murphy, DE- Don't get me wrong I love Murphy. But as a rotational DE he is not worth how much he is getting paid. I would love to see him take a pay cut  but if not I think we let him go and explore other options

Lee Smith, TE- Guy offers nothing in the passing games and get called for holding in the one part of his game he is supposedly good at

Tyler Kroft, TE- Thanks for the game winning TD against Pittsburgh but other than that he hasn't done anything worth while. He has had to many injuries

Corey Bojoquez P- BoJo doesn't fit this team. If we want to rely on our defense and running game to take us deep we need a guy who can help us with the field posession battle. I think we draft a punter and cut Bojo after a training camp battle

Andre Roberts KR- Lets face it. Returners don't make much of an impact anymore. Heck a returner could just toss ball to an official without doing anything and it would be ruled dead for giving themselves up ;) But really McKenzie is able to handle the role. He was a good returner who had fumble issues. Seems like he corrected that this year.

Free Agent Signings 

Image result for yannick ngakoue

Yannick Ngakoue, DE- 6 Years 70 Million- Its that time to overspend! Nagkoue could be the one missing piece of our defensive puzzle. This guy has had atleast 8 sacks every year since he was in the league and is still under 25. Jerry Hughes has lost a step. Hughes played well in the playoff game but before that he was missing all year and hasn't been that great since Mario Williams left.Bringing in a true pass rusher like Yannick opposite Hughes could let Jerry break loose again. This is a future elite pass rusher and is worthy every penny of a big contract. We will have to spend big to bring him in and we have the money. Yannick had a recent tweet to suggest he was leaving Jacksonville. This is a match made in heaven.

Hunter Henry, TE- 3 Years 21 Million-  I love Dawson Knox but kid is super raw still. Has all the potential in the world but it just isn't his time yet. Bring in Henry for the mean time. Front load Henry's contract so if Knox becomes starter down the road we aren't over paying for a backup TE in a couple years. Henry has been banged up through tout his career but has been a good reliable target for Rivers when he plays. Hasn't lived up to his full potential but he is a good TE. We need to get Josh Allen more weapons to work with and a TE is important for our small receivers. Hooper is another guy we could bring in as well if Hunter doesn't work out.

AJ Klein, LB- 2 Year 11 Million-  Its finally our chance to reunite AJ Klein with Sean McDermott. He knows the defense and AJ is playing best football of his career. With Lorenzo Alexander retiring this leaves a huge hole at LB. Milano and Edmunds are still young so this brings in a vet that is familiar with McDermott's scheme. I could see Saints trying to resign him however he will get a pay raise here

Alex Collins, RB- 1 Year 3 Million- Collins worked out for us a couple weeks back and with Gore being a free agent I don't see a return. Think that workout was to see what will be available for the end of the year. Collins was a pretty good RB for the Ravens before he got in some trouble with the law. Not typically the guy Sean McDermott likes but Sean if does give second chances. Him and Singletary would be a great compliment to one another.

Brandon Allen, QB- 2 Year 2 Million- After the week 17 game against the Jets i think we sign or draft someone to compete with Matt Barkley. I think we try to sign Kyle Allen but he ultimately resigns with Panthers to compete for a starting job. I think Brandon Allen will be the backup plan and wouldn't mind signing somewhere to compete for a backup position. 

NFL Draft

Image result for nfl draft logo

Round 1- Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU- 6'3, Super athletic, and super productive. What more can you ask for out of a WR draft prospect. He was thought of as a second round pick because he was overshadowed by a Heisman QB and a great younger WR in Chase on the other side of the field. However Jefferson I think is the second best WR in the class behind Jeudy. He proved it with 225 Yards and 4 TDs against Oklahoma in the college football playoffs. That elevated him to a late first round draft choice. We should be in perfect position to draft him unless he jumps higher up boards. But as of right now he is in perfect position for us to select him. LSU WRs have always underperformed in college and broke out in the NFL. Just look at Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, and DJ Chark for examples. Jefferson is that true #1 WR we need. and would complete our WR core. In 2018 we had a bunch of slow tall receivers that couldn't get separation. In 2019 Bean realized that and went with the smaller WR route and tried to get guys who can create separation. Which he did but now we don't have no one to go up and get the ball and make a play for Josh. This will be the year he finally realizes we need a mixture of tall and fast WRs.

Image result for justin jefferson

Round 2- Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State- With Trent Murphy cut we bring in another rotational DE for cheaper. Could never have to many DEs to rush the pasher. It was our biggest down fall as a defense. Willekes is very quick off the edge and has a relentless motor. Jerry Hughes hasn't been great for a long time. He stepped up in the playoffs with 3 sacks but he has always looked amazing in training camp and it never really translates to the season. Willekes will be a good young backup to a vet like Jerry. He played in Michigan State so he must be used to the cold and must be tough and gritty. Really seems like a blue collar player and a perfect fit in Buffalo. We loved Maxx Crosby last draft but weren't able to draft him. This year i think we get our guy Kenny may not be there at our selection but guys in the 2nd round seem to always fall for whatever reason. 

Image result for kenny willekes

Round 3- Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn- This is a super long and athletic OT. He is raw but this move is for the future. With Spencer Long gone (No pun intended) this move allows us to move Cody Ford to RG where he is better suited. Felciano now becomes backup OG/C due to his versatility. Ty Nsekhe becomes full time RT with Wanogho eventually replacing Nsekhe whenever he retires. So this move helps us now as we would be able to reshuffle the Oline and put people in their natural positions. And it helps us for the future so we can replace Nsekhe with a young guy entering his prime when he calls it quits.

Image result for prince tega wanogho

Round 4- Keith Washington CB West Virginia- Towards the end of last season our CB depth was hurting. We only had 3 CBs active in the playoff game and Taron Johnson is strictly an inside cornerback. We decide we need to add depth at this position. Keith Washington is a long corner that can get his hands on many passes and has a similar body type to Levi Wallace and Kevin Johnson. He is also somewhat of a ballhawk getting 5 INTs in two years playing. His biggest asset is he is 6'1 CB. He will be able to go up against any #1 WR and not have a size disadvantage.

Image result for keith washington west virginia

Round 5a- Trishton Jackson WR Syracuse-  Another productive tall WR. Jackson tallest but he is 6'2 and he knows how to box players out. He manages to get himself in good position to be able to make a play. And he has just enough speed to get deep and gain separation. Jackson will have to compete with Foster not only as a WR but as a gunner on special teams as well.

Image result for trishton jackson

Round 5b- Logan Wilson LB Wyoming-  I decided to let Julian Stanford go so we are missing a backup MLB and a special teams go. In comes Logan Wilson. I think Josh Allen will give scouting department good things to say. And small college guys usually know they need to contribute on special teams in order to make a team.

Image result for logan wilson

Round 6a- Frederick Mauigoa C Washington State- Most likely this becomes a practice squad player. With Spencer Long Leaving during free agency we add some competition to our backup Center position. Feliciano will likely have it but if Feliciano beats out Ford for starting RG spot I can see Mauigoa earning a roster spot.

Image result for frederick mauigoa

Round 6b- Blake Gilikin P Penn State- We just worked out a punter so we recognize this is a problem. Bojorquez is inconsistent and always gets touch backs. For a team that is trying to win with defense and a running attack. Having good field position is key. But we are always coming out on the short end of the stick when we end up in a Punting duel. Gillikin is everything BoJo isn't... and that's consistent. Blake has averaged 43 yards a punt throughout his career.  As a sophomore he down 18 punts inside the 10 yard line and has had multiple 70 yard kicks though out his career. He has also kicked in cold and windy conditions at Penn State.

Image result for blake gillikin

Round 6c- Kelly Bryant QB Missouri- This is just a training camp arm for us and a practice squad member. At one point he was the starting QB at Clemson but the freshman Trevor Lawrence pushed him out of the shuffle. And now he is an after thought. With all the mobile QBs in the NFL he is valuable to have in the practice squad and the scout team.

Image result for kelly bryant

*As an undrafted rookie I have us signing Spencer Brown to potentially be a FB and special teamer for Senorice Perry 

Projected 2 Deep Depth Chart

QB: Josh Allen / Brandon Allen

RB: Devin Singletary / Alex Collins

FB: Patrick Dimarco / Spencer Brown

WR: John Brown / Trishton Jackson

TE: Hunter Henry / Dawson Knox

LT: Dion Dawkins / Ryan Bates

LG: Quinton Spain / Ike Boettger

C: Mitch Morse / Frederick Maugoia

RG: Cody Ford / John Felciano

RT: Ty Nsekhe / Prince Tega Wanogho

Slot: Cole Beasley / Isaiah McKenzie

WR: Justin Jefferson / Duke Williams

DE: Jerry Hughes / Kenny Willike

NT: Star Lotueleli / Harrison Philips

UT: Jordan Philips / Ed Oliver

DE: Yannick Nagouke / Shaq Lawson

SLB: AJ Klein / Vosean Joseph

MLB: Tremaine Edmunds / Logan Wilson

WLB: Matt Milano / Maurice Alexander

CB: Levi Wallace / Kevin Johnson

Nickle: Taron Johnson / Siran Neal

FS: Micah Hyde / Jaquon Johnson

SS: Jordan Poyer / Kurt Coleman

CB: Tredavious White / Keith Washington

K: Stephen Haushska 

P/Holder: Blake Gillikin

LS: Reid Ferguson

Returner: Isaiah McKenzie

Wishful thinking on those prices. No way is Phillips getting 5.5 mil a year he is hitting the 10 mil marker, same with lawson. Quinton Spain is likely going to be landing 9-10 mil.

Dont get me wrong I agree on all the keeps and cuts minus the Roberts I think they can manage to keep him as its not costing much and he is an exceptional return man when he has had the chance this year. 

Also Yannick 6 year 70 mil is not happening he turned down 17.5 mil with the jags before the season started and is asking above 19 mil. You have this at 11.6 mil. I would prefer Austin Hooper over Henry, If Rivers sticks around I do not see Henry leaving as Rivers loves the guy and would be surprised by this. 

All in all you hit the positions of need but the premiums are to bills friendly and unrealistic. 

7 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Wishful thinking on those prices. No way is Phillips getting 5.5 mil a year he is hitting the 10 mil marker, same with lawson. Quinton Spain is likely going to be landing 9-10 mil.

Dont get me wrong I agree on all the keeps and cuts minus the Roberts I think they can manage to keep him as its not costing much and he is an exceptional return man when he has had the chance this year. 

Also Yannick 6 year 70 mil is not happening he turned down 17.5 mil with the jags before the season started and is asking above 19 mil. You have this at 11.6 mil. I would prefer Austin Hooper over Henry, If Rivers sticks around I do not see Henry leaving as Rivers loves the guy and would be surprised by this. 

All in all you hit the positions of need but the premiums are to bills friendly and unrealistic. 

Yeah theyre really guesses. Im far from a financial expert when it comes to signing players. I was just going based on similar player salaries. Either way i think we have still a ton of money to make these moves. I havent done the math but i think i left a ton of cap space left

What do you make of the draft?

Edited by marshawn lynch