Divisional Round: MIN@SF (1:35PM PST)

Manny/Patrick

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agree and disagree. I am concerned about a big money contract for him, no doubt. As you said, he hasn't done this before.

But there are also mitigating circumstances. His first 2 years, he was a 3-4 DE, which is a completely different job than a pass rusher. Since then, he's been bounced around the line some - he even played 1 tech last year, which isn't a major pass rushing job either. Now he's in a wide 9, and it's not impossible that is a great fit for him.

The problem is that if I were making a comp moving forward, it's probably Trey Flowers? 8 sacks and very good run defense? And that market is 18 million...which seems steep for that?

That's the thing though.  At least to me, he found success in the one scheme where you can stick just about any player that has premium athleticism in and he'll rack up sacks and pressures.  That, to me, is more on the scheme than the player.  I don't have a ton of confidence that you can slide him into a different scheme ,even playing the same position (but not the same technique) and get, realistically, half the production.  My contention, from what I've seen of him at least, is that part of why he was being put to play 1-Tech last season was because Buckner was clearly the superior interior rusher.  Armstead didn't get the opportunities because he wasn't earning them.  Ultimately, I look at him and I see Jack Crawford or Adrian Clayborn.  And you don't pay Jack Crawford and Adrian Clayborn anything close to 18 million APY.

Just now, The LBC said:

That's the thing though.  At least to me, he found success in the one scheme where you can stick just about any player that has premium athleticism in and he'll rack up sacks and pressures.  That, to me, is more on the scheme than the player.  I don't have a ton of confidence that you can slide him into a different scheme ,even playing the same position (but not the same technique) and get, realistically, half the production.  My contention, from what I've seen of him at least, is that part of why he was being put to play 1-Tech last season was because Buckner was clearly the superior interior rusher.  Armstead didn't get the opportunities because he wasn't earning them.  Ultimately, I look at him and I see Jack Crawford or Adrian Clayborn.  And you don't pay Jack Crawford and Adrian Clayborn anything close to 18 million APY.

Oh, that's fair. I didn't really think about that (with regards to him going to a new team).

I will say that I feel more comfortable that the 9ers get more bank for their buck on a deal (with the same defensive scheme and players around him) than another team would.