Divisional Round GDT - Vikings at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

7 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Wont be able to watch it live due to my Son's Hockey Tournament, but I see this game won in 2 areas. Jimmy out plays Kirk and Shanahan out schemes Zimmer. I see a 31-17 win for the 49ers. I expect Juice to play a large role this weekend.

The lines pretty much start and end it for me.

15 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Big for us

If the line can buy time for Jimmy, he can shred the corners. The safeties lurking for big plays is the worrying part of the passing game. We've seen Shanahan dig deep into his playbook for some really amazing plays in big games this year. I expect to see a masterful gameplan this weekend.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Eh. I sort of feel like its similar to us losing Moseley / Spoon for a game. It sucks, but not a back breaker by any means. They still have Rhodes / Waynes at the top. 

FIFY. If I'm Shanahan, I'm trying to get Rhodes 1 on 1 as much as possible and targeting him all game long. He's not what he used to be and good for a few boneheaded coverage breakdowns a game now.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Eh. I sort of feel like its similar to us losing Moseley / Spoon for a game. It sucks, but not a back breaker by any means. They still have Rhodes / Waynes at the top. 

Alexander mainly plays the slot. Better comparison would be losing Rhodes or Waynes but having Hughes to replace one of them. 

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

FIFY. If I'm Shanahan, I'm trying to get Rhodes 1 on 1 as much as possible and targeting him all game long. He's not what he used to be and good for a few boneheaded coverage breakdowns a game now.

Its not like he's Dontae Johnson out there lol. He's nothing to be afraid of and not nearly the player that he used to be, but he's not horrible levels yet, though I suspect that will come over the next couple of years. I said it earlier, I'd be running double routes all day on him. 

Just now, Forge said:

The comparison wasn't made in regards to position, but just value. 

Don't think you can do that if they play such different roles though. I mean Alexander is solid, nothing special but no clue how good or bad his replacement is. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't think you can do that if they play such different roles though. I mean Alexander is solid, nothing special but no clue how good or bad his replacement is. 

Sure you can, i just did it. It's just value and impact on the game. I attribute the same amount of value for Mac to the team as a whole as I would moseley / spoon for us lol. I don't care that they play different positions - I'm just basically attributing an arbitrary number to their value. I think Michael Thomas and George Kittle have similar values, they play different positions. 

Sendejo I'm pretty sure is who they used for NO, he was fine. Don't know that I would trust him to hold up over the long term, and I'd be hesitant with him covering a guy like Sanders out of the slot (or egads, Pettis if he decided he could actually play) who moves really well in tight spaces, but he was fine. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

alexander is our starting slot corner and mike hughes is the other guy who rotates in at nickel - hughes also rotates on the outside.

hughes went on IR after week 17 and alexander missed the wildcard round, so we essentially didn't have a slot corner. we signed marcus sherels (punt returner/CB6) who plays slot but he'll only be used in an emergency. we had andrew sendejo play slot vs. the saints, he held up pretty well but i imagine they gave him heaps of help. 

really it'll be either of our backup safeties (sendejo or jayron kearse) play slot corner.