Divisional Round GDT - Vikings at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sure you can, i just did it. It's just value and impact on the game. I attribute the same amount of value for Mac to the team as a whole as I would moseley / spoon for us lol. I don't care that they play different positions - I'm just basically attributing an arbitrary number to their value. I think Michael Thomas and George Kittle have similar values, they play different positions. 

Sendejo I'm pretty sure is who they used for NO, he was fine. Don't know that I would trust him to hold up over the long term, and I'd be hesitant with him covering a guy like Sanders out of the slot (or egads, Pettis if he decided he could actually play) who moves really well in tight spaces, but he was fine. 

Again meh on the comparison. 

2 minutes ago, whitehops said:

alexander is our starting slot corner and mike hughes is the other guy who rotates in at nickel - hughes also rotates on the outside.

hughes went on IR after week 17 and alexander missed the wildcard round, so we essentially didn't have a slot corner. we signed marcus sherels (punt returner/CB6) who plays slot but he'll only be used in an emergency. we had andrew sendejo play slot vs. the saints, he held up pretty well but i imagine they gave him heaps of help. 

really it'll be either of our backup safeties (sendejo or jayron kearse) play slot corner. 

Got it. Will be interesting to see how Shanny chooses to attack Sendejo and this defense in general. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

So is his being out a bigger or lessor deal than us losing spoon / moseley then? 

I don't know enough of the Vikings replacement to know if he is on Alexander's level or not. Spoon and Moseley have shown they can play at similar levels. So if we lose one, won't be a terrible drop off… And we saw just that when Spoon went out after week 3. But if Williams went out and we had no one on his level, I don't think it would be fair to say oh this loss doesn't really matter since we have Sherman/Spoon. 

Now, if you're saying Alexander isn't that good so they can find someone to replace him with little to no drop off? Then that would be different IMO. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know enough of the Vikings replacement to know if he is on Alexander's level or not. Spoon and Moseley have shown they can play at similar levels. So if we lose one, won't be a terrible drop off… And we saw just that when Spoon went out after week 3. But if Williams went out and we had no one on his level, I don't think it would be fair to say oh this loss doesn't really matter since we have Sherman/Spoon. 

Now, if you're saying Alexander isn't that good so they can find someone to replace him with little to no drop off? Then that would be different IMO. 

I think he's okay. But I do think that this matchup mitigates some of his usefulness, and in some regards, I think that Sendejo may even be a better matchup for them in this game. So yeah, I really don't think his absence impacts all that much. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Read some crazy stat that we had 22 sacks with Ford in the game and 22 without problem. Oh yeah, he played less than 30% of the snaps this season. Ridiculous. 

I posted this one yesterday or the day before. Not sure if this is the one you're referring to. 

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

I posted this one yesterday or the day before. Not sure if this is the one you're referring to. 

Ford is always good for one or two plays that he times the snap perfectly and is behind the RT before anyone else moves to blow up the play. His burst and timing are amazing. We don't have anyone else on the team like that. We need Ford back on the field for this game.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is probably it, but the numbers are even more staggering. So with Bosa/Ford, this pass rush is damn near all time great, and without Ford it drops to what it was last season. 

46 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ford is always good for one or two plays that he times the snap perfectly and is behind the RT before anyone else moves to blow up the play. His burst and timing are amazing. We don't have anyone else on the team like that. We need Ford back on the field for this game.

I miss Ronald Blair :(

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I miss him and I miss Moore. Moore only played a few games, but he was disruptive and made some impact plays. He's going to be amazing depth next year for us, assuming we resign him. They'd be really dumb not to.

Yeah, his speed off the edge is sorely missed. 

I was pumped when we got Ford because I've been saying for 2 years that someone who runs the arc and makes a QB move their feet can have a huge impact on changing angles for interior rushers. Ford is our only speed rusher right now. We need to draft someone this year to groom into that role. I'm still pissed we didn't draft anyone in 2018 lol 

Moore seemed like a great fill in and had a lot of juice

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2