Divisional Round GDT - Vikings at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

51 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

No other team would dare leaving their franchise QB protected only by one non-lineman. But we do, because we have the best at their respective positions. It's insane. How do you even find players like that? They're special.

Yes yes indeed! Tremendous scouting, coaching, and/or lucky AF happenstances.

Whatever the case, you lock them up and ride the wave of success for more SB rings. 

giphy.gif

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/why-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-george-kittle-were-thrilled-quiet-games

Why 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo, George Kittle were thrilled with quiet games

The 49ers' top two players on offense had quiet days statistically, because, well, they could. “I mean, it was awesome,” Garoppolo said after the win. “We had one drive where we literally didn’t pass the ball. Came off to the sideline, and we were just as excited as we have been offensively. “When you can do that to a team, it makes it tough on defenses when they have to bring more guys into the box, start bringing safeties down. We ran the hell out of the ball, and those guys up front battled their a-- off today. It was fun.” Kittle, however, might be even happier with the 49ers running the ball more. The only stat that matters to him is in the win-loss column.

I love watching our offense. When Kyle is in his bag with all the misdirection or trick plays are cool. But those motion plays that end in runs that gash the defense are a thing of beauty. That drive we scored a td with all runs was just sexy...lol

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/why-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-george-kittle-were-thrilled-quiet-games

Why 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo, George Kittle were thrilled with quiet games

Not to mention Sanders was targeted twice all gm...on the 1st drive. Becuz of all the injuries teams don't realize how talented we are on both sides of the ball. We can control both sides of the line of scrimmage and that makes us dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, sherm said:

I love watching our offense. When Kyle is in his bag with all the misdirection or trick plays are cool. But those motion plays that end in runs that gash the defense are a thing of beauty. That drive we scored a td with all runs was just sexy...lol

I loved all the crazy motions on running plays. Let's face it, most WRs are only there to be cute on most running plays. They're pointless unless it's an obvious outside run. So we might as well have one of these useless WRs running circles behind the line of scrimmage. You never know who will bite on the motion.

They pointed out a couple of times that we led the league in motion with 77%, while the league average is 47%. But honestly, I was surprised it was only 77%. I felt like it must have been way over 90%. For Jimmy's sake, we even had motion on a QB sneak yesterday.

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

I loved all the crazy motions on running plays. Let's face it, most WRs are only there to be cute on most running plays. They're pointless unless it's an obvious outside run. So we might as well have one of these useless WRs running circles behind the line of scrimmage. You never know who will bite on the motion.

They pointed out a couple of times that we led the league in motion with 77%, while the league average is 47%. But honestly, I was surprised it was only 77%. I felt like it must have been way over 90%. For Jimmy's sake, we even had motion on a QB sneak yesterday.

Yeah seems every play we have motion. I was shocked it was that low. That play Bourne did all that running around in the backfield was to get a player to lose focus. Turns out Barr bit on the Bourne run and opened up a gap for our RB.

2 minutes ago, sherm said:

Yeah seems every play we have motion. I was shocked it was that low. That play Bourne did all that running around in the backfield was to get a player to lose focus. Turns out Barr bit on the Bourne run and opened up a gap for our RB.

Barr did not have a good game. Being pancaked by a QB. Had it not been an elimination game, his teammate would have made fun of him for that...

15 minutes ago, sherm said:

They knew it was coming and they still couldn't stop it lol. We made them quit😂

Edited by Dub_City30
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I loved all the crazy motions on running plays.

I lol'd on one where slow arse Bourne was running back and forth in the backfield. Was hilarious, and a "yeah right" moment where the idea of him blazing to a sideline with ball in hand was so ludicrous.. I just needed to see it somehow happen. 

11 minutes ago, sherm said:

Not to mention Sanders was targeted twice all gm...on the 1st drive. Becuz of all the injuries teams don't realize how talented we are on both sides of the ball. We can control both sides of the line of scrimmage and that makes us dangerous. 

Agree, on the trenches. I didn't forget.. but did have my doubts that guys would be healthy enough to recreate it so thoroughly. 

I remember wishing Manny Sanders (and Kittle) would be targeted more.. but seeing that 2nd half BULLY BALL run game was also very satisfying. 

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Favre was a 3-time League MVP back in those days.  Also, if Favre was doing nothing but making mistakes, even a beastly defense led by Reggie White couldn't overcome that.

MVPs don’t win Super Bowls and Mahomes is too wreckless in big games. Favre only won one because he is wreckless. I also see only one SB in Mahomes entire career and I doubt this is the year. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

MVPs don’t win Super Bowls and Mahomes is too wreckless in big games. Favre only won one because he is wreckless. I also see only one SB in Mahomes entire career and I doubt this is the year. 

So why do Steve Young, Dree Brees and Aaron Rodgers only have one SBs as well? Getting a SB win is not easy at all. Brady really ruined it for other QBs, but the great Peyton Manning was going to retire with one SB himself until he got one with an ATG defense and having to do very little to get it. 

But yes, Favre had some great opportunities he let slip away. As did other great QBs. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Is Aaron Rodgers wreckless too?  I hope so because he represents State Farm Insurance.  If he were a crazy driver getting into wrecks all the time, that wouldn't be a good look for him. 

Regarding his quarterbacking style, Aaron Rodgers does not play in a reckless manner, yet he has only won one Super Bowl, just like Favre. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Is Aaron Rodgers wreckless too?  I hope so because he represents State Farm Insurance.  If he were a crazy driver getting into wrecks all the time, that wouldn't be a good look for him. 

Regarding his quarterbacking style, Aaron Rodgers does not play in a reckless manner, yet he has only won one Super Bowl, just like Favre. 

He’ll certainly have two before his career is over. Heck, maybe even three if he can somehow pull off a miracle trifecta in the playoffs, Niners being the biggest test of the trifecta. 

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is absolutely correct about Rodgers. If anything, he is more cautious than is ideal given game situations, especially in games where his team is down by a bunch. Fivethirtyeight had an interesting article about it five years ago: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/skeptical-football-the-aaron-rodgers-enigma/

But the article also passes the anecdotal eye test and the glancing at a stat sheet test. You can't only have two picks a year without being too conservative when down multiple scores. It isn't possible. You could say he is reckless in terms of holding on to the ball too long and attempting to make magic out of the tempo of the designed play, but that's one of those things where I think you take the brilliant things he can do in those situations and accept the downside.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He’ll certainly have two before his career is over. Heck, maybe even three if he can somehow pull off a miracle trifecta in the playoffs, Niners being the biggest test of the trifecta. 

How can you say he will certainly have two? I wouldn't be too sure about that. He's had some really good teams and opportunities and his teams have fallen short. Rodgers is now declining so he may just have that one SB when it is all said and done. Of course he has a shot this year, they will be the underdogs against both SF and KC. Will probably be favorites over TEN though.